The Student Room Group

Should there be a ‘Brexit Day’ Public Holiday?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kyber Ninja
It'll basically be a KKK march lol

So 52% of Brits are racists. Retard
Firstly, we shouldn't have Brexit at all, so that's a no vote.
Secondly, it'll be nice to have an extra holiday though, so that's a yes vote.
All in all, I'd say no because it would make people think we're celebrating Brexit because we like it. Which we don't. We don't right?!
Original post by LibertarianMP
So 52% of Brits are racists. Retard

Sorry bud, but not everyone voted in the Brexit election, so your figure of 52% is a guess. Roughly 30% of eligible voters didn't actually vote

This "Retard" also didn't struggle with doing GCSE Chemistry loooooool
Original post by Ambitious1999
I think we should have a bank holiday to support brexit every year. It would have been great if the Royal wedding had been on June 23rd to celebrate brexit too with air displays military parades etc. Even though I’m not really a royalist it would be a great idea!

It would be great to have a day we can all come together and be proud of. To celebrate our freedom, our hopes and future. It could be like a thanks giving day when we celebrate those who struggled for our freedom. Perhaps with roast beef as the meal of the day? Like they have Turkey on American thanks giving day.

Would you like a Brexit day public holiday?

yes !
That would feel like we're celebrating it. That and why would we have a national holiday for a pretty simple democratic vote. If that were true for every time a country did that then y'know.

Although.... that would mean a guaranteed day off on my Birthday (23rd June). Assuming the holiday would be set on the day of referendum and not the official date of leaving the EU, assuming that even happens.
Original post by Reue
Ahh a flag on the face.. a sure sign of a thug

Sadly there is not a history of skin head fascists face painting the EU flag.

You poeple have got his all wrong. There is no bad reason to have an extra day off.
Original post by Manitude
Aww hell no. Why would we want to celebrate shooting ourselves in the foot, despite knowing that pointing a gun at our feet and pulling the trigger results in foot-shooting?!

We'll be back in the EU in my lifetime.

We won't be back in. We haven't even left to a significant extent.
Sorry bud, but not everyone voted in the Brexit election, so your figure of 52% is a guess. Roughly 30% of eligible voters didn't actually vote

I should hope not given that you are in the TSR Chemistry society, and furthermore I have made great progress and am now excelling in the subject. Thank you for your concern :smile:
I would be in favour of a day of national mourning, complete with burning Rees-Mogg in effigy, plus fireworks.
Original post by adamantacademic
Nah I don't think celebrating the exit from a Trading body calls for much festivity

Can you think of another "trading body" in the world that enforces mandatory refugee resettlement, prevents deportation of foreign criminals and also demands large sums of money for the privilege?

One might be forgiven for suggesting its a little bit more than that.
Reply 50
I think we should have a bank holiday to support brexit every year. It would have been great if the Royal wedding had been on June 23rd to celebrate brexit too with air displays military parades etc. Even though I’m not really a royalist it would be a great idea!

It would be great to have a day we can all come together and be proud of. To celebrate our freedom, our hopes and future. It could be like a thanks giving day when we celebrate those who struggled for our freedom. Perhaps with roast beef as the meal of the day? Like they have Turkey on American thanks giving day.

sorry what
Original post by Jebedee
Can you think of another "trading body" in the world that enforces mandatory refugee resettlement, prevents deportation of foreign criminals and also demands large sums of money for the privilege?
You mean like UKIP want for this country? Also, what is this about preventing deportation of foreign criminals? Extradition arrangements are mainly country-to-country, not EU-to-country.
Original post by Jebedee

One might be forgiven for suggesting its a little bit more than that.

Especially if one makes up the little bits.
Original post by Sabertooth
I think it's a great idea. I love Independence Day in he US, everyone's so happy and proud - British people need more of that.

Britain voluntarily made all agreements with the EU. In what sense therefore would it be about 'independence'?

Are you aware that many Conservative Brexit supporters want us to be part of US trade agreements over which we will have no say and be forced to accept ghastly US farming products such as chlorinated chickens, unlabelled battery eggs, genetically engineered corn and hormone and antibiotic-riddled meats as part of those deals?
I’m delighted you support Brexit! But don’t you think having public celebrations is the best way show our defiance against unsavoury remoaner attitudes?

When they see how happy we are during these festivities maybe they will want to join in. They should be welcome to join our street parties and learn from pro Brexit campaigners.
The thing with Brexit is even after we have left the EU the struggle still continues, we need to change the way the nation views things like the EU to ensure we never get tied up with that rogue organisation ever again. We need to challenge unsavoury and old thoughts and any doubts the remoaners dream up. We need public displays of posters to show the achievements of Brexit but also reminders not to slip back to our old way of thinking and carry through Brexit to the future. That’s one reason why I support removal of the EU symbol from car number plates etc. To show we are united in our solidarity for Brexit. We are leaving the EU but it doesn’t end there, we need to be united and build a powerful nation that will prosper. We need to teach children in schools the values of Brexit and good thinking practices.

Jesus Christ, what's going on in your head? You're essentially saying you want to be antagonistic. That's sure to change minds, isn't it? You're deluded.
Yes. Not because I care about brexit but because I wouldn't mind a holiday.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
You mean like UKIP want for this country? Also, what is this about preventing deportation of foreign criminals? Extradition arrangements are mainly country-to-country, not EU-to-country.

Especially if one makes up the little bits.

I don't know that ukip are asking for more refugees. Maybe you should reread the manifesto.

I'm talking about the EU's version of human rights for criminals. Aka we can't send them back if they'll be in danger.

I'm finding it hard to decipher what you're trying to say.
Perhaps we could have a holiday to celebrate the day I sprained my ankle.. or perhaps to commemorate dropping my phone in the toilet. I think we should honour these disappointments first, given they pre-dated the one you suggest.
Reply 57
I think this country is paying enough for Brexit, the last thing we need is millions to fund a bank holiday for it...
Reply 58

i'm all for days off, but what do you mean by celebrating freedom? p.s. the pound is going to plummet and who knows what the market will look like.

but that doesn't also mean that the 30% who didnt vote at all do not want Brexit. They should have voted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending