• Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Everyone learns differently and having a disability is no exception to that so what do you find particularly helpful when studying with a disability?

For me a big thing is making use of technology, with dyslexia and dyspraxia handwriting things to study is something that it took me a while to realise really wasn't working for me. So now I generally only study on my pc, whether that's making colourful notes in a friendly font or using flashcards which for me are brilliant for trying to drum things in my long term memory.
    Another general thing now is that I try to work with my brain by starting off very early so if I m having concentration problems or a bad brain day I can comfortably walk away and look after my self by trying again later.

What about you?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can't think of much for me personally.:beard:

If I'm listening to music whilst studying then I don't use headphones because I hear better out loud.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Organising things into tables on Google Docs, Google Calendar (otherwise I forget everything), doing work over a longer period of time. Oh and hot water bottle
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I have dyslexia and ADD so I tend to find all the "right" ways to study kinda go out the window for me. I found that dim lights help (reduces contrast that irritates eyes/ brain) along with listening to music (familiar music acts as white noise to block out distractions) and not setting a structured plan (cos I'd end up having a blank moment in "on" times and actually have ideas in "off" times- better to just find my groove free style). Few other things too, but that's what I can remember from back in the days I actually had to think. Oh and sometimes I found typing better and sometimes I found actual writing better- depended on if I was likely to be stopping and starting (like while gathering information) or if I wanted a constant flow. Typing is also way better in terms of SPAG cos boy do I make a lot of little mistakes (which spell check kindly corrects for me).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kindred)
    I have dyslexia and ADD so I tend to find all the "right" ways to study kinda go out the window for me. I found that dim lights help (reduces contrast that irritates eyes/ brain) along with listening to music (familiar music acts as white noise to block out distractions) and not setting a structured plan (cos I'd end up having a blank moment in "on" times and actually have ideas in "off" times- better to just find my groove free style). Few other things too, but that's what I can remember from back in the days I actually had to think. Oh and sometimes I found typing better and sometimes I found actual writing better- depended on if I was likely to be stopping and starting (like while gathering information) or if I wanted a constant flow. Typing is also way better in terms of SPAG cos boy do I make a lot of little mistakes (which spell check kindly corrects for me).
    Out of interest, where do you get the idea that there are "right" ways of studying?:curious:

Also quick question: when you say you type to avoid spelling mistakes, is that in actual work or just revision notes and things?:holmes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Out of interest, where do you get the idea that there are "right" ways of studying?:curious:

Also quick question: when you say you type to avoid spelling mistakes, is that in actual work or just revision notes and things?:holmes:
    Teachers and online advice and all that. Tends to follow the same basic pattern from what I can tell.
    Mostly just the more formal stuff. My spelling isn't so bag it's unclear what I am trying to say. Actually tbh I think half my spelling errors come from using a keyboard anyway. Just easier for me to go back and edit if I want to though.
    Honestly I never took any revision notes.
    Oh and it's harder to misplace a saved file on a computer than some random but of paper in my messy "organisation" or stuff.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Utilising my ok moments and moments i have energy to get work done. Doesn't matter to me if its 3am or 5pm if i have the energy then and am not in a depressive/rash state then ill try to get work done.
    Sometimes if there is too much going on in a day and i cant do it all i let go of the stuff that isn't absolutely necessary. This has resulted in me missing a lot of lectures etc this year and missing out on society stuff but yeh :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Teachers and online advice and all that. Tends to follow the same basic pattern from what I can tell.
    Mostly just the more formal stuff. My spelling isn't so bag it's unclear what I am trying to say. Actually tbh I think half my spelling errors come from using a keyboard anyway. Just easier for me to go back and edit if I want to though.
    Honestly I never took any revision notes.
    Oh and it's harder to misplace a saved file on a computer than some random but of paper in my messy "organisation" or stuff.
    Thanks Kindred.:hugs: Just curious to know.
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Utilising my ok moments and moments i have energy to get work done. Doesn't matter to me if its 3am or 5pm if i have the energy then and am not in a depressive/rash state then ill try to get work done.
    Sometimes if there is too much going on in a day and i cant do it all i let go of the stuff that isn't absolutely necessary. This has resulted in me missing a lot of lectures etc this year and missing out on society stuff but yeh :/
    That's really good advice.:yes: :hugs:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.