The Student Room Group

Nervous about being left home alone

My mum and dad go away on holiday this week and the thought of being home alone is making me really nervous. This isn't the first time I'll be home alone but it always makes me nervous when they go away.

It's mainly the thought of being in the house on my own at night that bothers me, during the day I am fine but as soon as it gets dark that's when it bothers me. I think it's just because I keep thinking to myself I'm in a rather big house to be in all by myself.

Anyone know what I can do to help with being nervous?
Original post by Anonymous
My mum and dad go away on holiday this week and the thought of being home alone is making me really nervous. This isn't the first time I'll be home alone but it always makes me nervous when they go away.

It's mainly the thought of being in the house on my own at night that bothers me, during the day I am fine but as soon as it gets dark that's when it bothers me. I think it's just because I keep thinking to myself I'm in a rather big house to be in all by myself.

Anyone know what I can do to help with being nervous?

Invite some friends round to stay with you? you could put some music on so it isn't silent
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Invite some friends round to stay with you? you could put some music on so it isn't silent

The problem is all my friends have moved away to their different universities. I usually keep the telly on for a bit of background noise.
Original post by Anonymous
The problem is all my friends have moved away to their different universities. I usually keep the telly on for a bit of background noise.

What about skyping them or something similar?
Reply 4
Don’t watch any scary movies! Do you have any pets? It’s comforting to have a warm fluffy little being with you. Invite a friend to stay around maybe?

When I’m home alone I lock the front and back doors, close all the windows, and shut all the internal doors so when I inevitably watch a scary movie and scare the crap out of myself I’m not looking into dark rooms for any sign of movement. Keep the shower curtain back because I always get the feeling someone is standing behind it.

Best advice, get really drunk and you won’t care anymore!
Reply 5
Hello! I actually have an issue with this as well, but there are some perks! You can have a movie night with yourself, and nobody will steal your popcorn!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
So my worst fears came true and this morning I was awoken by someone breaking into the house. I was woken by our house alarm going off and I went onto the landing to find a guy stood at the bottom of our stairs. I shouted at him and he ran off, I locked myself in my bedroom and phoned the police. They soon came but there is basically nothing they can do and my parents are now coming home from their holiday nearly a week early.

I’ve not stopped shaking all day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending