Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blessedbytheone)
    Yes! I am actually feeling quite excited about it!
    let us know how it goes! Wish I was able to make it!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blessedbytheone)
    Yes! I am actually feeling quite excited about it!
    And me too bud. Only downside is that trains from Sheffield to Coventry are so expensive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jin3011)
    Ah, totally didn't see that when I checked last time! Cheers!

Anyone going to the Open Day on the 4th of July?
    No worries! Enjoy the open day. They offer great cakes, so make sure to eat as many as you can 😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    For Warwick's 'hands-on' requirement, would they actually consider volunteering in a hospice as that? I help the patients and staff with whatever they need, but I'm not actually allowed to touch the patients/do anything that's particularly hands on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    For Warwick's 'hands-on' requirement, would they actually consider volunteering in a hospice as that? I help the patients and staff with whatever they need, but I'm not actually allowed to touch the patients/do anything that's particularly hands on.
    Yes they do count it bud! I emailed them to ask, and they stated I can use my role as a pharmacist and hospice volunteering to meet their 'hands on' criteria. This doesn't need to involve you touching/washing patients, but just generally interacting with people of diverse healthcare needs - and working in a hospice, you do a lot of simple things that build character and give you insight into caring for often terminal patients, which is what Warwick are looking for!

ReputationRep:
    Yes they do count it bud! I emailed them to ask, and they stated I can use my role as a pharmacist and hospice volunteering to meet their 'hands on' criteria. This doesn't need to involve you touching/washing patients, but just generally interacting with people of diverse healthcare needs - and working in a hospice, you do a lot of simple things that build character and give you insight into caring for often terminal patients, which is what Warwick are looking for!
    Phewww! Thank you so much! I've also volunteered in a clinic of a psychiatric hospital. I interacted with the patients in the sense that I was basically welcoming them and handing out tickets (I was a glorified human appointment machine basically), getting them refreshments if they asked for, calling them up when it was their turn to get seen, helped out inside the actual clinic with the nurses by getting sample labels ready etc. Once again lots of little things but a great experience in working in mental health nonetheless. Hopefully thay will count too? Because if it does, together they should just about cover me for the 70 hours of experience. Which means I can be less in a rush to get my ECA job...

ReputationRep:
    Phewww! Thank you so much! I've also volunteered in a clinic of a psychiatric hospital. I interacted with the patients in the sense that I was basically welcoming them and handing out tickets (I was a glorified human appointment machine basically), getting them refreshments if they asked for, calling them up when it was their turn to get seen, helped out inside the actual clinic with the nurses by getting sample labels ready etc. Once again lots of little things but a great experience in working in mental health nonetheless. Hopefully thay will count too? Because if it does, together they should just about cover me for the 70 hours of experience. Which means I can be less in a rush to get my ECA job...
    I'd email Warwick to clarify if the clinic volunteering fits their criteria since they're so particular in what they're looking for. But it's great experience nonetheless; seems like you'd be able to pick out great examples of interacting with people of diverse mental health, and working actively in a clinical team to reach shared common goals.

The ECA job is perfect tho! Wish I could apply for a care assistant role lol. Although I work in a clinical environment with patients daily, taking histories, supporting self-care, counselling, advising medical colleagues on prescribing practices etc, but it still doesn't feel as though I'm fully caring for patients the best I can - my practice is really limited which is frustrating! But my job in itself is really intensive, with evening and weekend work and on-calls - so the hospice volunteering is the best I could manage!

I'm quite tight with nursing matrons on various wards; do you think it's worth asking I could volunteer on weekends? It would just mean my the only day (Saturday) that I have to myself would be gone lol. But I guess a few months of sacrifice will be worth it in the end.

ReputationRep:
    I'd email Warwick to clarify if the clinic volunteering fits their criteria since they're so particular in what they're looking for. But it's great experience nonetheless; seems like you'd be able to pick out great examples of interacting with people of diverse mental health, and working actively in a clinical team to reach shared common goals.

The ECA job is perfect tho! Wish I could apply for a care assistant role lol. Although I work in a clinical environment with patients daily, taking histories, supporting self-care, counselling, advising medical colleagues on prescribing practices etc, but it still doesn't feel as though I'm fully caring for patients the best I can - my practice is really limited which is frustrating! But my job in itself is really intensive, with evening and weekend work and on-calls - so the hospice volunteering is the best I could manage!

I'm quite tight with nursing matrons on various wards; do you think it's worth asking I could volunteer on weekends? It would just mean my the only day (Saturday) that I have to myself would be gone lol. But I guess a few months of sacrifice will be worth it in the end.
    Yeah that's probably a good idea, I'll email them today. Fingers crossed it's enough!

It sounds like you have a very interesting job, which will keep away the frustration/waiting/boredom of waiting for interviews and offers and waiting for the course to start!

I don't see any harm in asking. Extra hands are always appreciated after all

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Hello all! I thought I'd join in the thread.

I'm 26 and a Biology graduate - I also have a MSc in Clinical Microbiology, both from Nottingham. I currently work as a research assistant in antibiotic resistance and I'm hoping to apply to Warwick GEM for 2019 entry.

In terms of work experience I don't have much so far: 14 hours in a nursing home, I volunteer once a week at my local hospitals A+E department and once a week at a local youth club working with disabled kids and young adults. I have arranged for some shadowing placements which I will hopefully complete in the next month or so. I have 2 years experience working in the NHS but unfortunately this was in a microbiology diagnostic lab and so doesn't count as work experience. (I understand - it's not patient facing). Is this enough? I've heard that Warwick are very picky with their work experience requirements.

My UKCAT is in August so I'm currently prepping for that! How is everyone else's prep going? Any advice on websites/materials?

ReputationRep:
    I am in Sheffield too! (Not going to the Open Day, but yay!). Trains are cheaper if you split via Derby, just a little heads up!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!!

So I did my UKCAT today and unfortunately it didn't go so well if I'm honest.

Verbal: 550
    Decision Making: 710
    Quantitative: 760
    Abstract: 710
    SJT: Band 1
    Total: 2720

I am quite upset with Verbal as it brought my entire score down. I was pretty calm and confident. Oh well. Is there any chance for Warwick? I have the 70 hours + experience

My other stats aren't too bad?

Undergraduate: 2.1 Achieved Bachelors Honors in Molecular Medicine at Bristol University
    Masters: Merit pending in Masters of Public Health from Imperial College London

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoctorMoonlight)
    Hi guys!!

So I did my UKCAT today and unfortunately it didn't go so well if I'm honest.

Verbal: 550
    Decision Making: 710
    Quantitative: 760
    Abstract: 710
    SJT: Band 1
    Total: 2720

I am quite upset with Verbal as it brought my entire score down. I was pretty calm and confident. Oh well. Is there any chance for Warwick? I have the 70 hours + experience

My other stats aren't too bad?

Undergraduate: 2.1 Achieved Bachelors Honors in Molecular Medicine at Bristol University
    Masters: Merit pending in Masters of Public Health from Imperial College London

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Ehmm maybe make of this what you wish:

"We use the UKCAT verbal reasoning score as one of the predictors of success in certain examinations at medical school. Our first round of selection therefore identifies those with a verbal reasoning score at or above the mean for the cohort sitting UKCAT in the year of application. Those scoring below the cohort mean will be rejected at this stage. Those with scores above the cohort mean will then have points awarded for their total UKCAT score, with higher total UKCAT scores receiving higher points."

ReputationRep:
    Ehmm maybe make of this what you wish:

"We use the UKCAT verbal reasoning score as one of the predictors of success in certain examinations at medical school. Our first round of selection therefore identifies those with a verbal reasoning score at or above the mean for the cohort sitting UKCAT in the year of application. Those scoring below the cohort mean will be rejected at this stage. Those with scores above the cohort mean will then have points awarded for their total UKCAT score, with higher total UKCAT scores receiving higher points."
    Ahh I read that- I was hoping for some personal insight or experience from anyone.

But thank you for sending me this I do appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    I think it’s too early to say as you don’t know the year cohort average yet! If you’re worried, maybe look into Birmingham too?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who went to the open day - how was it?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't actually make it in the end, had to cancel as I was ill to travel But I also want to know how the Open Day went!

ReputationRep:
    I found it to be great! They were very accommodating and really showed their medical school in a positive light. Although a lot of their teaching is through cases, they adopt a VERY integrated approach to their teaching which I find perfect; and the fact that placements are early on makes it even better to apply your learning to see its clinical relevance. The anatomy workshop was amazing too; extremely innovative, and you feel as though you'd be well supported in your learning from some amazing clinicians/academics.

They gave you a chance for 1to1's with admissions, so I just asked if my experiences were valid etc and had a couple of questions from my colleague whom couldn't make it down. Also, I'd like to add that Warwick count volunteering in hospice/care homes as 'hands on' even if you don't physically touch patients Volibear - the tutor confirmed this, and stated that they value if you've interacted with patients of various health needs by whatever means and if it has given you a greater insight into caring for patients!

The admissions tutors cemented the application process to us, and stated how largely the UKCAT determined the success of your application, but also how important academics criteria was too. For 2018's cycle, the candidate with the lowest UKCAT score whom was invited to the section centre was from someone with a normal BSc degree whom had a score of 662.5. They also award extra academic points if you have a masters/PhD.

They received 1600 applications - 500 went onto the next stage of submitting their work experiences - top 450 applicants were invited to selection centre - 240 offers made for 193 places (13 of which are for international students only). So if you get to the selection centre, you have a pretty good shot!

The ONLY downside was not the medical school itself, but the location. It seems to be in the middle of nowhere, and the medical school is about a 15 minute walk from main campus; so it didn't feel very integrated with the rest of the uni. Saying that however, there is so much greenery and the walk to main campus was refreshing. Great location for running/cycling and the roads are more-or-less flat too.

ReputationRep:
    X
    Glad you had a good experience! And the thing about volunteering is very useful because I don't think I'm going to be able to get a relevant job for a while due to other stuff going on, but I think (need to do some counting) I will have 70+ hours from what I've done already!

Do you happen to know if they distinguish between a 1st and a 2:1 or is everyone on a level playing field? Same for those with high and low 2:1s?

Ngl the number of offers they give is one reason I'm applying...

I've been studing in London for the past 4 years so I'm not sure if quiet and greenery will be a pleasant surprise or shock to the system :rofl: Nonetheless, cycling again will be fun - especially since it will be 100x safer! Warwick sounds more appealing each time I hear about it

ReputationRep:
    Glad you had a good experience! And the thing about volunteering is very useful because I don't think I'm going to be able to get a relevant job for a while due to other stuff going on, but I think (need to do some counting) I will have 70+ hours from what I've done already!

Do you happen to know if they distinguish between a 1st and a 2:1 or is everyone on a level playing field? Same for those with high and low 2:1s?

Ngl the number of offers they give is one reason I'm applying...

I've been studing in London for the past 4 years so I'm not sure if quiet and greenery will be a pleasant surprise or shock to the system :rofl: Nonetheless, cycling again will be fun - especially since it will be 100x safer! Warwick sounds more appealing each time I hear about it
    Yeah definitely sounds positive in every aspect! I lived in Nottingham for 4 years and the campus was beautiful and definitely gave me an excuse to cycle every morning and on weekends! Warwick is giving me similar vibes lol.

If I remember correctly for academics: 2:1 is the minimum entry requirement but they give marginal merit to those that have a 1st class when ranking candidates within their first round. The level of individual grade (i.e high/low 2:1) does not matter. Having a master and/or a PhD gets you additional points - but these have to be achieved by the time of entry. Integrated courses like MPharm, MChem etc count as a masters degree also.

If, for instance, you hold a masters degree and have a 1st class undergraduate, they only score you on your highest degree award (in this case the masters). So you DON'T get points accumulated. Would give an unfair advantage to those that hold like 10 high-ranking degrees/PhDs lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely sounds positive in every aspect! I lived in Nottingham for 4 years and the campus was beautiful and definitely gave me an excuse to cycle every morning and on weekends! Warwick is giving me similar vibes lol.

If I remember correctly for academics: 2:1 is the minimum entry requirement but they give marginal merit to those that have a 1st class when ranking candidates within their first round. The level of individual grade (i.e high/low 2:1) does not matter. Having a master and/or a PhD gets you additional points - but these have to be achieved by the time of entry. Integrated courses like MPharm, MChem etc count as a masters degree also.

If, for instance, you hold a masters degree and have a 1st class undergraduate, they only score you on your highest degree award (in this case the masters). So you DON'T get points accumulated. Would give an unfair advantage to those that hold like 10 high-ranking degrees/PhDs lol.
    I did an integrated master Biology degree...so that will count? Just gets better and better :lol:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 16, 2019

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.