Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Sorry for the delay on this, folks! Winner will be announced tomorrow
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
A321
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I thought this thread was going to be about Periods.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by A321)
I thought this thread was going to be about Periods.
:rofl: :rofl:
shadowdweller
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
The winner has been announced for this month! :woo:
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
No one more deserving than Cavy.

But CAs 2 for 2; the other I have never even heard of. As it stands, MoM seems to be rewarding the in-group of community staff than the community itself.
shadowdweller
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)

But CAs 2 for 2; the other I have never even heard of. As it stands, MoM seems to be rewarding the in-group of community staff than the community itself.
We're only 2 months in to the new awards, so I think it's early days to say it's purely rewarding the in-group of staff, personally. When the awards were originally run, CAs were not anyway near as commonplace as they are now, so we need a little time to adjust the awards and make sure that they're awarding everyone as much as possible - it's something we're looking at to address the balance and make sure it's not just the team being awarded though, I'd like to make that clear
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

I agree. imho CAs should be excluded. With the role you're helping create content for the site and here to engage with others to promote discussion. Which is basically what this award is for.. Being on the site's, likely, most popular section (chat) also helps since one would assume you'd get more exposure there as well as perhaps the users there being most likely to nominate someone. Rather than just a user who comes to the site for exam discussion/study help then leaves. Perhaps we just need a few months to get through all the chat people then we'll end up with those in other sections such as relationships, study help, careers whose work is a little less noticed.
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Did you nominate anyone tho?
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
Did you nominate anyone tho?
Immaterial if I did or did not, isn't it. The winner is not decided by the number of nominations but upon the qualitative assessment of STs as to the user's contribution to the site. As I am sure there were some non-CAs nominated, my alleged lack of voting would make no difference.

The "consideration" part does not depend on my nominating either. See the rules.

Nominations are gladly received, but all final decisions are made by the Support Team, and a winner may have received few or no user nominations.
As ever, you seem to have the opinion that the users should strive to fix the site rather than the ST who have taken it upon themselves to help the community.

I am not sure if MoM came about from the discussion had on the law forum, but the concern there was the fact popular users who post meme-y posts in Chat and debate forums tend to get the nomination and the users who focus on the neglected forums are ignored, as they're often helping members who will post thrice and never return. It seems peculiar then to award users who are CAs and likely are focussed on Chat; plus (as you're suggesting) the process should depend again on popular nominations. To my mind, what you're suggesting is a mini version of the Member of the Year.
shadowdweller
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
I'd like to reitrate again that we're looking at how to keep the awards as fair as possible, and to keep them balanced in terms of who is awarded. Whilst I can understand being frustrated that it seems only CAs are being awarded, I'd ask that we revisit the issue next month, to see if we're still having trouble?
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Immaterial if I did or did not, isn't it. The winner is not decided by the number of nominations but upon the qualitative assessment of STs as to the user's contribution to the site. As I am sure there were some non-CAs nominated, my alleged lack of voting would make no difference.

The "consideration" part does not depend on my nominating either. See the rules.

As ever, you seem to have the opinion that the users should strive to fix the site rather than the ST who have taken it upon themselves to help the community.

I am not sure if MoM came about from the discussion had on the law forum, but the concern there was the fact popular users who post meme-y posts in Chat and debate forums tend to get the nomination and the users who focus on the neglected forums are ignored, as they're often helping members who will post thrice and never return. It seems peculiar then to award users who are CAs and likely are focussed on Chat; plus (as you're suggesting) the process should depend again on popular nominations. To my mind, what you're suggesting is a mini version of the Member of the Year.
It isn't immaterial - if more people nominated then there'd be a larger pool of nominees to pick from, and the chances of a CA winning would be reduced. You are correct, we can technically choose a winner who has not been nominated, but we still need the help of forum users like yourself to tell us about exceptional people. We don't have eyes everywhere.
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Sorry didnt mean to cause controversy :getmecoat:

(Original post by 8472)
Being on the site's, likely, most popular section (chat) also helps since one would assume you'd get more exposure there as well as perhaps the users there being most likely to nominate someone.
afaik the nomination thread has been rotating round the sections and the first winner (labrador) doesnt hang around in chat but works tirelessly in SQA :yes:
TheDepressedOne
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

You kinda expect this though. When it comes to things like MoM and stuff like that on this site it’s more of a circlejerk competition than a proper, fair system. There will be plenty of users who will be worthy of the award but will not get it simply because they are not part of that circlejerk group or not a ‘favourite’ of the ST team.
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by TheDepressedOne)
You kinda expect this though. When it comes to things like MoM and stuff like that on this site it’s more of a circlejerk competition than a proper, fair system. There will be plenty of users who will be worthy of the award but will not get it simply because they are not part of that circlejerk group or not a ‘favourite’ of the ST team.
This is absolute rubbish. The whole point of MotM is to recognise people who slip under the net of the TSR Awards circle-jerk and shine a light on people and parts of the site that might otherwise go unnoticed. But I repeat, we need your help - so nominate. If you see someone who often helps people or has made a really cool thread, tell us about it.
shadowdweller
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
On a more positive note, the nominations for July are now open! If you feel that somone is deserving of the award that is being overlooked, please do put in a nomination before the 31st July
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It isn't immaterial - if more people nominated then there'd be a larger pool of nominees to pick from, and the chances of a CA winning would be reduced. You are correct, we can technically choose a winner who has not been nominated, but we still need the help of forum users like yourself to tell us about exceptional people. We don't have eyes everywhere.
It goes back to the point, though, that MoM was supposed to escape the inherent biases of TSR Awards. To have it mainly governed by the nomination system, as you called for, is rather unhelpful. I don't know why we cannot expect utmost vigilance form STs and expect them to pick people and assess their contributions. Surely familiarity with the forums you help with, and the people who post in them, should qualify most STs to make a reasonable pick. That is, of course, if they're regular contributors on this site. As some STs are not.

The problem of nomination system on the TSR Awards bleeds into this one: people don't see or at least they don't take notice of the nomination procedure. I suspect it might be because there is an in-group perception. It might be that these threads are not bumped that often. shadowdweller is trying to keep peace, but he/she does not realise I am helping your thread out every time I comment! Of course, if the perception of in-group bias died away (as it might in future awards; I repeat I don't say the two CAs are undeserving) more people might take notice of these threads and make a nomination.

My worry, though, is that this is another TSR idea which looks good on paper but will die a death in practice.
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It goes back to the point, though, that MoM was supposed to escape the inherent biases of TSR Awards. To have it mainly governed by the nomination system, as you called for, is rather unhelpful. I don't know why we cannot expect utmost vigilance form STs and expect them to pick people and assess their contributions. Surely familiarity with the forums you help with, and the people who post in them, should qualify most STs to make a reasonable pick. That is, of course, if they're regular contributors on this site. As some STs are not.

The problem of nomination system on the TSR Awards bleeds into this one: people don't see or at least they don't take notice of the nomination procedure. I suspect it might be because there is an in-group perception. It might be that these threads are not bumped that often. shadowdweller is trying to keep peace, but he/she does not realise I am helping your thread out every time I comment! Of course, if the perception of in-group bias died away (as it might in future awards; I repeat I don't say the two CAs are undeserving) more people might take notice of these threads and make a nomination.

My worry, though, is that this is another TSR idea which looks good on paper but will die a death in practice.
What would you do to remove bias? Open to suggestions! The part in bold is absolutely what we try to do, but nominations help a lot.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
What would you do to remove bias? Open to suggestions! The part in bold is absolutely what we try to do, but nominations help a lot.
The bias I was talking about was popular voting. The obvious answer is: someone's winning should not chiefly rely on my nominating them; or several people's nominating them. I don't need to suggest this because that's supposedly the central tenet of these awards any way, though you seemed to imply this isn't the case.

I don't want to get into a 50-post exchange about what these awards -- I only intended to make a single post on "CAs seem to be doing well in these" rather than scrutinise the process in minutiae -- so will leave it here.
Rainfall
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
On a more positive note, the nominations for July are now open! If you feel that somone is deserving of the award that is being overlooked, please do put in a nomination before the 31st July
where do I nominate?
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Rainfall)
where do I nominate?
The link at the bottom of the OP takes you to a form to nominate

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads