Alternatives to caffeine for stimulating the mind Watch

Nerdcubed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

The exams are right around the corner which means many students are going to be resorting to caffeinated beverages to provide them with energy for revision. I must be an outlier because caffeine doesn't really affect me. I've had 10 teaspoons of coffee powder and a 4 pack of monster before, both of which did very little for me. For people who aren't affected by caffeine, what do you do to mimic its effects?
Nerdcubed
Rep:
?
Bump.
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nerdcubed)
Hi everyone,

The exams are right around the corner which means many students are going to be resorting to caffeinated beverages to provide them with energy for revision. I must be an outlier because caffeine doesn't really affect me. I've had 10 teaspoons of coffee powder and a 4 pack of monster before, both of which did very little for me. For people who aren't affected by caffeine, what do you do to mimic its effects?
You need to stop taking caffeine completely if you really are taking it in those quantities. You're taking a toxic amount of caffeine in a short time.

If you are relying on stimulants, you're doing life wrong. Quit coffee and learn to life.
Nerdcubed
Rep:
?
I don't regularly consume caffeine in those quantities (I don't really consume much caffeine at all); those examples I mentioned were purely experimental. Do you know anything specifically to improve my mental stimulation?
CeresMay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doing exercise before learning/revising is really good for the brain. Maybe take a 20 minute walk before you get into an hour of revision. It works pretty well for a lot of people.
Herts UG Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Second the suggestion of exercise, as it also helps energise.

Mint is really good pick-me-up, as is ensuring you're drinking enough water. Not soda, not energy drinks, but water everyday throughout the day.

Try to maximise your sleeping efficiency by limiting the amount of electronics you use up to an hour before your bedtime, and get enough sleep--whatever is right for you. Eat healthy by trying to have your 5-a-day before you reach for sugary or carb-filled snacks..
ShazNeedham
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd agree with water for sure! I read that your productivity drops massively if you're dehydrated and it makes you feel tired, so I set a reminder on my phone to drink a glass of water every two hours.

Also a quick burst of fresh air - nothing worse for feeling tired than sitting in a hot stuffy library for hours on end!

The Inbetweeners was enough to put me off energy drinks before exams
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?