The Student Room Group

phsics degree?? for a hijabi

I'm Muslim, I wear the hijab and want to study physics at uni BUT have never seen a Muslim girl who wears the hijab do physics at open days..

Will I be ostracised at uni?

should I just turn out to be the stereotypical doctor, or do what I genuinely enjoy?

pls advise

Scroll to see replies

Do what you enjoy. Don't let people's opinions force you into doing something you don't want. Also, never do medicine unless you have a burning passion for it (it needs dedication for you to come out on top)
Why would wearing the hijab affect you doing a physics degree? I knew a girl who had offers to do physics at Cambridge and imperial amongst others and she wore the hijab.
I study Physics and I have seen some in the lectures.
Reply 4
No, you won't be ostracised just for wearing a hijab
Reply 5
i think i will stand out too much, the open days for physics are highly male dominated and i think i will stand out too much
Original post by 124751
i think i will stand out too much, the open days for physics are highly male dominated and i think i will stand out too much

honestly, I'm going to be blunt here,

If you care too much about what others will think of you then uni really isn't a place for you.
Reply 7
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Why would wearing the hijab affect you doing a physics degree? I knew a girl who had offers to do physics at Cambridge and imperial amongst others and she wore the hijab.

what is she doing now?
Original post by 124751
what is she doing now?

I have no idea but I assume she took her offers. If you worry that your hijab will stop you from doing the things you enjoy such as picking physics over medicine, you'll live your entire life like this. Just pick the degree you want to do. Do the job you want to do and don't fret so much about what other people think. And tbh I don't think anyone will care anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by 124751

Yes it's true few girls do physics but I still applied for it. Doesn't really put me off, I can get on and be friends with guys in the same way I am with girls. I don't wear a hijab but I doubt that would be a problem either
Reply 10
Original post by RickHendricks
honestly, I'm going to be blunt here,

If you care too much about what others will think of you then uni really isn't a place for you.

oh I assure you I'm ready for uni, it is just that no one from the previous year 13 had taken physics as a degree, even before

I go to an all girls school with a high Asian population, and most people aspire for medicine, and think my dreams are too different
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I have no idea but I assume she took her offers. If you worry that your hijab will stop you from doing the things you enjoy such as picking physics over medicine, you'll live your entire life like this. Just pick the degree you want to do. Do the job you want to do and don't fret so much about what other people think. And tbh I don't think anyone will care anyway.

Lol You've lost social contact with 'friends'
Original post by 124751
oh I assure you I'm ready for uni, it is just that no one from the previous year 13 had taken physics as a degree, even before

I go to an all girls school with a high Asian population, and most people aspire for medicine, and think my dreams are too different

So? maybe medicine's not for you. Maybe you're ambition is something else. Don't let the opinions of others divert you.
Original post by adamantacademic
Lol You've lost social contact with 'friends'

I didn't say she was my friend?
man who cares if ur gonna be the only hijabi? im the only hijabi in my lectures and seminars at uni i dont even give a sh*t
Reply 15
Original post by choco_monsterxo
man who cares if ur gonna be the only hijabi? im the only hijabi in my lectures and seminars at uni i dont even give a sh*t

what are you taking? just out of interest
Original post by 124751
what are you taking? just out of interest

law and criminology/criminal justice system
Original post by 124751
I'm Muslim, I wear the hijab and want to study physics at uni BUT have never seen a Muslim girl who wears the hijab do physics at open days..

should I just turn out to be the stereotypical doctor, or do what I genuinely enjoy?

pls advise

Maybe because your religion goes agains the truth which is physics. This must be a troll
Reply 18
Original post by Student1191
Maybe because your religion goes agains the truth which is physics. This must be a troll

Religion is what the current clergy at the time want it to be.
Original post by 124751

pls advise

who cares lol

Quick Reply

Latest