The Student Room Group

Please help! University choices. Loughborough/ Sheffield/ Liverpool

Hi guys...third time I'm trying to post this. After two half essays of posts...hahah. I will just ask the question it all boils down to. As someone who is looking towards a career in politics, is it wise to stick to a Russell's Group Universtity? My options are Uni of Sheffield, Uni of Liverpool and Loughborough...what do you guys think? Because goodness me, Loughborough is topping charts left right and centre. In order of how comfortable I felt on open days it would be Loughborough, Liverpool, Sheffield...and if I hadn't spoke to two MPs who told me to pretty much forget Loughborough then I would have accepted my offer by now. I like Liverpool but it is not as established as Sheffield, and at the bottom of the Russell Group table. Shall I take the chance? Please, if you know anything about these universities or the course or even career wise...could you drop your two cents on the situation for me please? Thank you in advance! I would really appreciate any feeback!
Hey! In my opinion, I would personally try and just go with what university you prefer. It’s hard not to focus on rankings - but the three unis you are mentioning are all very good and I don’t believe you will be limited by going to either one! I applied to Loughborough last year, and I’ve now applied to Liverpool this year (even though it isn’t my firm). Loughborough is a very good university, likewise with Liverpool and Sheffield. If you feel you need to go to the best one out of them all, I would probably edge towards Sheffield. It’s Russell group and it is higher (in my opinion) than the others, as I agree Liverpool is lower end Russell Group.. that being said, I think your best bet would be to base your decision on where you see yourself for 3/4 years, what course suits you best in terms of module selection, and other factors such as campus feel, accommodation and city :smile: I firmed Leeds this year, and had offers from Manchester and York which some would argue are higher than Leeds... maybe so! But neither of them felt right. Even though Leeds is slightly lower, it’s still an amazing university. If you prefer Liverpool over the other two I say go for Liverpool :smile:
Sorry my answer isn’t really based on your course etc, it’s more generic! I hope it still helps though
Reply 3
Original post by savannah12037
Hi guys...third time I'm trying to post this. After two half essays of posts...hahah. I will just ask the question it all boils down to. As someone who is looking towards a career in politics, is it wise to stick to a Russell's Group Universtity? My options are Uni of Sheffield, Uni of Liverpool and Loughborough...what do you guys think? Because goodness me, Loughborough is topping charts left right and centre. In order of how comfortable I felt on open days it would be Loughborough, Liverpool, Sheffield...and if I hadn't spoke to two MPs who told me to pretty much forget Loughborough then I would have accepted my offer by now. I like Liverpool but it is not as established as Sheffield, and at the bottom of the Russell Group table. Shall I take the chance? Please, if you know anything about these universities or the course or even career wise...could you drop your two cents on the situation for me please? Thank you in advance! I would really appreciate any feeback!

I would say pick the one you like best factoring in course content, accommodation, city life, social life etc. You have to live and study there for 3 years so it's a big decision. I firmed Liverpool even though it's the lowest ranking out of all my offers (Birmingham, Surrey, Glasgow, Southampton) because I could see myself there and liked the course and the city, the other places just didn't do it for me even though they are more prestigious. For a career in politics I don't think there would be much of a difference between Sheffield, Loughborough and Liverpool
Thank you so much for responding! Wowww, congrats, I heard Leeds is great also. You're right, I've been rocking back and forth about how Sheffield has an undeniable rep in the department. But I also have to live there...might have to lean towards Liverpool. Thanks again
Hiya, thank you very much. Liverpool does genuinely feel so friendly and the city is great of course. The only thing I liked about Sheffield was the lecturers if I'm honest. Nothing else stood out other than it's reputation...I guess I am leaning towards Liverpool. Thanks again!

Also, quick Q, is the student's union really that inactive? I mean I'd like to volunteer locally so I won't be massively bummed if the clubs aren't great, but have you heard of many people that volunteer through the Guild?
Reply 6
Original post by savannah12037
Hiya, thank you very much. Liverpool does genuinely feel so friendly and the city is great of course. The only thing I liked about Sheffield was the lecturers if I'm honest. Nothing else stood out other than it's reputation...I guess I am leaning towards Liverpool. Thanks again!

Also, quick Q, is the student's union really that inactive? I mean I'd like to volunteer locally so I won't be massively bummed if the clubs aren't great, but have you heard of many people that volunteer through the Guild?

I don't know too much about the guild tbh but apparently it's the biggest in the country and heard a lot about the number of events that go on etc so I doubt it's inactive. I don't know anything about volunteering specifically but Liverpool has great nightlife

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending