Defences Watch

choco_monsterxo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello

Can someone please give me some guidance or points on how to tackle this question?

‘The differences between the defences of self defence, duress and necessity are unclear, and the law in this area is in urgent need of reform’.
AndrewMarkSP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by choco_monsterxo)
Hello

Can someone please give me some guidance or points on how to tackle this question?

‘The differences between the defences of self defence, duress and necessity are unclear, and the law in this area is in urgent need of reform’.
What's this for?
choco_monsterxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by AndrewMarkSP)
What's this for?
Law lol why
AndrewMarkSP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Law lol why
Well I gathered that, but what level is it?
choco_monsterxo
Rep:
?
Well I gathered that, but what level is it?
Oh LOOOOL undergraduate
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh LOOOOL undergraduate
What on earth are you doing? It is a reasonable question; people do law at level 2 and 3.
choco_monsterxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
What on earth are you doing? It is a reasonable question; people do law at level 2 and 3.
Idek anymore😭😭😭😭
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Idek anymore😭😭😭😭
Fair enough.

Just be nicer to Andrew, as he's trying to help you!
choco_monsterxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
Fair enough.

Just be nicer to Andrew, as he's trying to help you!
I was being genuine 😂😂
AndrewMarkSP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was being genuine 😂😂
Do you have no opinion on whether the defences for duress and defence of another need to be reformed? Have you been assigned no reading or had no lectures?

There is a section in the Murder, Manslaughter and Infanticide report by the law commission (2006) which could be a starting point. The law commission seem to change their opinions towards necessity and duress every couple of years, so there's loads you can look into.
choco_monsterxo
Rep:
?
We’ve not had any lectures on this and theres just a very brief power point on it. So far this topic has not been covered.
Thank you very much for your help, will deffo look into it. is it possible for you to please elaborate on what the question means by ‘defences for duress’
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AndrewMarkSP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We’ve not had any lectures on this and theres just a very brief power point on it. So far this topic has not been covered.
Thank you very much for your help, will deffo look into it. is it possible for you to please elaborate on what the question means by ‘defences for duress’
It's a defence to all criminal offences bar murder. The defendant was forced, by threat of death or serious injury, to commit a criminal offence. There are questions over whether it should be used for murder- would someone who killed with a gun to their head be guilty of murder?- although ultimately is felt that in such a circumstance, what right would the defendant have to decide their right to life is greater than that of the person they were 'forced' to kill?
choco_monsterxo
Rep:
?
It's a defence to all criminal offences bar murder. The defendant was forced, by threat of death or serious injury, to commit a criminal offence. There are questions over whether it should be used for murder- would someone who killed with a gun to their head be guilty of murder?- although ultimately is felt that in such a circumstance, what right would the defendant have to decide their right to life is greater than that of the person they were 'forced' to kill?
oh okay thank you soo much you’ve made it much easier, thank you!
AndrewMarkSP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
oh okay thank you soo much you’ve made it much easier, thank you!
No problem! It's a really interesting topic, there's a lot of different approaches you could take to answering the question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?