Becky2305
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
As per the title, I am looking to study a second UG degree in Architecture and my aim is to study at UCL's The Bartlett.

I hold a 1st class degree in English Literature as well as a Distinction level Masters in Literature and Philosophy, both from the University of Sussex. Needless to say, I will be a mature student. I do not hold any of the 'traditional' A-Levels associated with Architecture. The ones I do have are Literature, History, Politics and Fashion.

So, my first question is: Would I need to privately take additional A-Levels associated with Architecture, such as Art and Maths? I know my current academic qualifications leaves me in good standing for modules related to history and theory of architecture, but not so much the others.

My second one is related to the portfolio I know UCL requires: would it have to be work produced when undertaking an Art A-Level? And what does the portfolio need to include? As stated, I do not have an Art A-Level. However, at risk of sounding boastful although not of my intention, I have always been considered to be very gifted at Art and have managed to build up a fairly decent following on an Instagram account dedicated to any art I do produce.

Finally - would it make a difference that I am a mature student do you think? And is there anyone currently studying this course at UCL or any alumni that would be able to shine light on anything raised above?

I am not looking for replies related to funding - that I am taking care of in a separate thread. Thank you
Amanzhol
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Becky2305)
As per the title, I am looking to study a second UG degree in Architecture and my aim is to study at UCL's The Bartlett.

I hold a 1st class degree in English Literature as well as a Distinction level Masters in Literature and Philosophy, both from the University of Sussex. Needless to say, I will be a mature student. I do not hold any of the 'traditional' A-Levels associated with Architecture. The ones I do have are Literature, History, Politics and Fashion.

So, my first question is: Would I need to privately take additional A-Levels associated with Architecture, such as Art and Maths? I know my current academic qualifications leaves me in good standing for modules related to history and theory of architecture, but not so much the others.

My second one is related to the portfolio I know UCL requires: would it have to be work produced when undertaking an Art A-Level? And what does the portfolio need to include? As stated, I do not have an Art A-Level. However, at risk of sounding boastful although not of my intention, I have always been considered to be very gifted at Art and have managed to build up a fairly decent following on an Instagram account dedicated to any art I do produce.

Finally - would it make a difference that I am a mature student do you think? And is there anyone currently studying this course at UCL or any alumni that would be able to shine light on anything raised above?

I am not looking for replies related to funding - that I am taking care of in a separate thread. Thank you
I don't think you'd need to take additional A-levels, no, because although Art/Maths/Physics used to be the traditional combination, nowadays a lot more variety is encouraged particularly in the arts and humanities (architects' engineering knowledge is not as emphasised as it used to be as this tends to be taken care of by structural engineers in modern practice, so architecture schools are keen to break the assumption that you need a maths/sciences background). Your A-levels all hold varying degrees of relevance to the architecture course, so I don't think you'll be at any disadvantage by applying with them rather than new ones.

Your portfolio does not need to be made up of A-Level Art work at all, it can be entirely independent. They'll want to see that you can draw, mainly, but a range of paintings, prints or any media you're skilled at will also be welcomed. Another important thing to consider is how you can show a spatial/3-dimensional awareness through your portfolio work, because this is something they will also really want to see as it's an important skill for an architect to have. You can show this by making anything from clay pottery to concrete casts to conceptual architectural models out of cardboard or wire (although be warned that they don't particularly like seeing full-on designs for buildings because they tend to be seen as amateurish). Don't worry about not having the materials or facilities to do anything too complex, they won't care if you simply use cereal boxes! If you'd like to see an example of what an architecture portfolio might consist of, I'd be more than happy to send you my digital version if you PM me your email address.

As for your last question, I think it'd be best to get in contact with UCL to ask them for their thoughts on mature applicants, but personally I can't imagine you'd be at a disadvantage for being a mature applicant. I'm afraid I'm not studying at/an alumni of UCL, but what I've said is based on my own experiences applying to other architecture schools and from what I do know about the Bartlett.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (129)
29.79%
No (304)
70.21%

Watched Threads