quadruplepancake
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi - does anyone either a) study Chinese, b) know someone who does or c) have second-hand information on what it's like to study the course? Would be really useful if someone could tell me a bit about the course.

Obviously I've gone through the website, course handbook, etc. but I'd like to know about some specific things which I can't find out in other ways.

Some of the things I'd really like to know are:
> What's the workload like?
> How much of your time do you spend actually learning modern Chinese, how much do you spend on classical, and how much do you spend on other things? Would you recommend the course for someone who's going into it mainly for learning modern Chinese, would enjoy learning classical but doesn't like history/culture/esssays?
> How much time on the Year Abroad is spent studying?

Any help would be much appreciated
username3600258
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
From what I gather from friends...

1. The workload is heavy depending on what you consider as workload...
There are very little contact-hours for Chinese...
It's Oxford, what do you expect...?

2. You can choose your modules...
If you want to study pure modern, choose the modern modules...
If you want to study pure classical, choose the classical modules...

3. Once again, you can choose your modules...
If you want to study an essay course, choose the essay modules...
If you want to study a language course, choose the language modules...

There is so much variety at Oxford, and Cambridge, it is insane...

Hope this has helped!
Ailwidis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I do Japanese but one of my good friends does Chinese, and my tutor is the leading Chinese lecturer.

Apparently there's a lot of work, especially if you're coming in and learning the language from scratch.
You spend a lot more time on modern Chinese, I'm not even sure you start Classical in first year, might depend.

I really, really wouldn't recommend any language course at Oxford if you're just in it for the language. You get an essay a fortnight, which is very manageable, but the essays tend to be about very niche historical topics (at first, then you move on to more contemporary topics, and then you choose your modules).

Not quite sure about the year abroad but if it's anything like Japanese then you'll mostly be learning the language and doing a lot less essays. You'll have regular classes but it's not at all as intense as when you're in Oxford, so you're quite free to do a good share of travelling/watching tv in your room if that's what you want to do : p
username4387356
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
are u from france haha?
username4387356
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by quadruplepancake)
Hi - does anyone either a) study Chinese, b) know someone who does or c) have second-hand information on what it's like to study the course? Would be really useful if someone could tell me a bit about the course.

Obviously I've gone through the website, course handbook, etc. but I'd like to know about some specific things which I can't find out in other ways.

Some of the things I'd really like to know are:
> What's the workload like?
> How much of your time do you spend actually learning modern Chinese, how much do you spend on classical, and how much do you spend on other things? Would you recommend the course for someone who's going into it mainly for learning modern Chinese, would enjoy learning classical but doesn't like history/culture/esssays?
> How much time on the Year Abroad is spent studying?

Any help would be much appreciated
are you from france?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads