purplepineapple
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So today I got my English Lit Paper 2 mock paper back and I was really disappointed with my grade as I did really well on an inspector calls and power and conflict poetry but the unseen poetry really brought my grade down. Does anyone have any tips and advice for unseen poetry as I can just never understand it😩 thank you
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
you need to practice unseen poetry questions- the more you do, the more skills and tactics you can learn on reading a poem.
i generally read the poem once, see if there's a surface meaning, annotate structure and title, then read it again move onto language features- make sure you know your terminology. timing's also really important here, don't spend too long annotating the poem! if you can, look at the tone/mood set and see if certain words or structure can contribute to this; are certain words emphasised etc. think of the way you analysed your power and conflict poetry and see if you can apply the method to the unseen in a shorter time constraint.
mrbruff does some good youtube videos on unseen poetry.
hmdux
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The structure I used for the unseen poetry comparison was...Poet 1 uses ... to.... “quote” this shows... the poet has done this to... this shows us (the reader)...
Poet 2 also uses te same technique however this time to... “quote” this shows...the poet has done this to...this shows us
Both poets use ... to ... however while poet A uses it to conveys this message to its reader poet B uses it to show this....
This is just a basic template but this helped me achieve an 8 in my literature.
Also if I was struggling to find any similarities to compare I would turn to something as easy as verbs or adjectives or adverbs sometimes keeping it simple is key.
For example writer A uses powerful verbs within their poem like ‘the man orders him...’ the verb orders suggests that the man shows no sympathy for the other men... the writer has used this to show that the man has high levels of authority over the others as he doesn’t just tell them what to do but ‘orders’ them. (Then further analysis)
Poet B also uses powerful verbs in their poem. “His heart Breaking into 1000 pieces of hurt” the verb breaking suggests that the hurt he felt was beyond upsetting for him and hurt him to a point where he felt physically in able to function. The verb break implies that he can no longer work and can therefore not continue with his daily life really expressing to the reader the severity of the pain he feels.

Another tip I would give is to really break down every word in every quote you give. Think about the connotations-of the different word the poet uses and think about how that contributes to what the poet is trying to imply. For example by saying that he was breaking down into thousands of pieces rather than just lots of pieces indicates the immense hurt that he is in. The word thousands implies that he is broken emotionally beyond repair as if something’s broken into such a large number of pieces you give up and don’t even try to fix it because it will be almost impossible to repair like the persons emotions.

I hope this helped just a little bit at least
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (254)
57.21%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.79%

Watched Threads