The Student Room Group

University credit transfer

I left uni in 2015 without completing my BA hons degree. I completed both my 1st and 2nd years and some of my 3rd. I have my transcripts and certificates with the credits I achieved. So my question is can I still use these credits to go back to uni and finish my degree and is this covered by student finance please.
Any information will be gratefully received.
Original post by mlward37
I left uni in 2015 without completing my BA hons degree. I completed both my 1st and 2nd years and some of my 3rd. I have my transcripts and certificates with the credits I achieved. So my question is can I still use these credits to go back to uni and finish my degree and is this covered by student finance please.
Any information will be gratefully received.

Why did you leave? MH?

It is up to your accepting uni. they may find the credits too old.

You need to speak to them as they have discretion and their own policies.
Unis generally do not like transfers into year 3.

Other unis may accept you to do a top up degree though.

Assuming you havent used student finance for other than the years you mentioned they will cover one year.

They may also consider a compelling personal reasons claim for other years to restore some funding entitlement.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Why did you leave? MH?

I left due to my mum and her mental health (as well as her alcoholism) and being a mum of 3 children it was all too much at the time. It did impact on my mental health through a strain in my marriage (mature student problems)

So its all down to which ever uni i may choose, my degree was in applied social science so it wasn't subject specific as such do you think this could also cause an issue.

Thanks for your reply
[QUOTE="mlward37;77377916"]
Original post by 999tigger
Why did you leave? MH?

I left due to my mum and her mental health (as well as her alcoholism) and being a mum of 3 children it was all too much at the time. It did impact on my mental health through a strain in my marriage (mature student problems)

So its all down to which ever uni i may choose, my degree was in applied social science so it wasn't subject specific as such do you think this could also cause an issue.

Thanks for your reply

Hi

I only saw this thread by accident as i left the tab open. Because the quote didnt work then I didnt get tagged so I hadnt realised you had responded. Here are my suggestions and option:

1. The finance situation as is, leaves you funding from year 3 left.

2. You can contact your old uni to see if they will let you finish. You may not wish to.

3. You can try and find a uni to take your credits and do a transfer (rare ) into 3rd year or a top up degree. This might be hard and will have limited choices.

4. If in the time since you have had a change of mind you cna try and get some funding back from SFE and apply for what they call for compelling personal reasons. This means they have discretion to disregard funding if you have ha a difficult time through personal reasons such as health or family circumstances.

You have to apply for it each year so it should be easy to get back the year you left as that was incomplete and forced you to give up the degree.

You could also try your second year as well based on what you were dealing with in respect of your mum.

5. If you are successful with CPR for one year [likely imo], then that would mean they would fund from second year onwards. Transfers and top ups become a lot more likely then.

6. If you are successful with 2 years, then that means they would pay from year 1 i.e a whole new degree. Ofc that would mean starting from year 1 again, which you might not like, but you could change subjects completely and find it a lot easier to get on a course.

7. When asking for a transfer they have to be satisfied whatever credits you have are suitable and compatible with the course you are asking to move to as well as a good enough quality.

8. Your other alternative is to transfer your credits to the OU and finish your degree distance learning that way.

9. Do be sure to speak to the uni for any course you are interested in and explain your circumstances. if its a new course then it helps if you have some reasons and maybe experience for wanting to do it.

Here are some links

Compelling personal reasons
http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=25908

Top Up courses or any degree course
https://digital.ucas.com/search
Just add top up if its a top up degree you want. Unis dont advertise transfers and you just have to make enquiries to the uni.

OU transfer credits
http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/
As you can see it all depends what you want to do and there are avenues to explore at just completing a degree or going back to uni and doing something else.

Drop me a line if you get stuck.
Reply 4
[QUOTE="999tigger;77413386"]
Original post by mlward37

Hi

I only saw this thread by accident as i left the tab open. Because the quote didnt work then I didnt get tagged so I hadnt realised you had responded. Here are my suggestions and option:

1. The finance situation as is, leaves you funding from year 3 left.

2. You can contact your old uni to see if they will let you finish. You may not wish to.

3. You can try and find a uni to take your credits and do a transfer (rare ) into 3rd year or a top up degree. This might be hard and will have limited choices.

4. If in the time since you have had a change of mind you cna try and get some funding back from SFE and apply for what they call for compelling personal reasons. This means they have discretion to disregard funding if you have ha a difficult time through personal reasons such as health or family circumstances.

You have to apply for it each year so it should be easy to get back the year you left as that was incomplete and forced you to give up the degree.

You could also try your second year as well based on what you were dealing with in respect of your mum.

5. If you are successful with CPR for one year [likely imo], then that would mean they would fund from second year onwards. Transfers and top ups become a lot more likely then.

6. If you are successful with 2 years, then that means they would pay from year 1 i.e a whole new degree. Ofc that would mean starting from year 1 again, which you might not like, but you could change subjects completely and find it a lot easier to get on a course.

7. When asking for a transfer they have to be satisfied whatever credits you have are suitable and compatible with the course you are asking to move to as well as a good enough quality.

8. Your other alternative is to transfer your credits to the OU and finish your degree distance learning that way.

9. Do be sure to speak to the uni for any course you are interested in and explain your circumstances. if its a new course then it helps if you have some reasons and maybe experience for wanting to do it.

Here are some links

Compelling personal reasons
http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=25908

Top Up courses or any degree course
https://digital.ucas.com/search
Just add top up if its a top up degree you want. Unis dont advertise transfers and you just have to make enquiries to the uni.

OU transfer credits
http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/
As you can see it all depends what you want to do and there are avenues to explore at just completing a degree or going back to uni and doing something else.

Drop me a line if you get stuck.

WOW really thank you for your help it is really what I needed and yes I will get in touch if I need any help thank you ever so much its really appreciated.
Reply 5
Open U diversity might be the best option for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending