Accepting other choices in case the UMS aren't high enough to reapply... Watch

North London1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
My daughter has a dilemma. Should she (as we've suggested) accept her second and third choices this year just in case she doesn't get high enough UMS in her Maths and FM exams? She was about to do so before reading the part about 14 days to cancel after making her 'Firm' and 'Insurance' choices, but I thought that it was possible on Results Day to change your mind by contacting the university and UCAS - is that not the case?

Will rejecting a place make the university less likely to want her next year if she tries and fails again for Cambridge and wants her second choice? She wants to study Maths, and has some other very good offers, but doesn't want to think 'what if..' is she could try again and didn't.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by North London1)
My daughter has a dilemma. Should she (as we've suggested) accept her second and third choices this year just in case she doesn't get high enough UMS in her Maths and FM exams? She was about to do so before reading the part about 14 days to cancel after making her 'Firm' and 'Insurance' choices, but I thought that it was possible on Results Day to change your mind by contacting the university and UCAS - is that not the case?

Will rejecting a place make the university less likely to want her next year if she tries and fails again for Cambridge and wants her second choice? She wants to study Maths, and has some other very good offers, but doesn't want to think 'what if..' is she could try again and didn't.
Dealing with your last paragraph first, no it won't make any difference to Cambridge if she reapplies (this is generally true at any university except for some subjects at some universities such as Medicine/UCL).

If she Firms her 2nd choice she can't then go back to Cambridge on Results Day and say she wants her place. Once she rejects their offer it's gone, unless she re-applies next year. And there's no guarantee she would get another offer; she might, she might not...

If she's applying for Maths her STEP grades and performance is generally more important than her A-level grades for Cambridge. They are reasonably likely to forgive an A-level miss if she meets (or even very closely misses) her STEP.

STEP > UMS...

BUT if she prefers the course at Cambridge then that's her Firm. End of story really.

If she prefers the course at a different university then that's what she should Firm.

There's no point messing about with what-ifs. Honestly.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hold on, reading some of your other posts elsewhere it appears she didn't get a Cambridge offer, so you are actually asking about options if she does well on results day and decides to reapply to Cambridge...

If she has a Firm and/or Insurance she can reject them on, or after, Results Day without problems.

She doesn't have to take up any place at all and can decide to take a gap year instead and reapply.

Just watch out when signing any financial contracts at the Firm choice before results day, notably some accomodation contracts. It's possible she might lose her rent deposit but usually it's fine. Read the small print...

Posted from TSR Mobile
North London1
Rep:
?
Sorry - I phrased it badly. She was interviewed, but in the end didn't get an offer from Cambridge, She really wants to go, and is IMO good enough based on her AS UMS, which averaged 94 across the 6 exams despite one paper in the mid-80's as she was unwell that day. She's only dropping a couple of marks in her practice past papers at the moment which equate to more or less full UMS, and is getting higher marks than last year so far.

She is recovering from some issues with anxiety and was very low last year. Her best friend was really ill in the autumn term, and my mother (who she was close to) died in August. This badly affected her mental health from August until a couple of months ago, and it definately impacted on her interview performance. She's getting back on track now, and would like another go after a gap year, but her HoY and us (parents) wondered if she should still go with her top two offers as an insurance, but reject them if her results are good enough to apply to Cambridge in the autumn. She isn't sitting Step this year, as she struggled to make sense of even her coursework until a couple of months ago, relying on all the work she did over the summer holidays. She would look at pages in books and they were like patterns last year!

She's nearly back to her old self again now thankfully, and is predicted to do very well in her exams. We figured it better to focus on A-level results alone though, and not push her to sit STEP until next year. Her Maths teacher, HoY and doctor are all happy to write something about mitigating circumstances explaining her gap year, and her maths teacher has said that he'd support her with STEP lessons at her (soon to be) old school.

My badly worded (sorry I'm tired!) question was about the implications of firming somewhere only to maybe reject it in August, and if the rejected Uni would hold it against her for next year when she puts it on her form again? Is it OK to reject places then reapply? It seems a risk not to at least make Firm and Insurance choices on her UCAS application this year just in case something does go wrong, and her UMS are lower than expected.....
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
My badly worded (sorry I'm tired!) question was about the implications of firming somewhere only to maybe reject it in August, and if the rejected Uni would hold it against her for next year when she puts it on her form again? Is it OK to reject places then reapply? It seems a risk not to at least make Firm and Insurance choices on her UCAS application this year just in case something does go wrong, and her UMS are lower than expected.....
Yep that's all fine. Unis don't hold grudges. (See my other reply )

And I'm very glad she (and you...) is doing better after your bereavements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
HeadHoncho
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Yep that's all fine. Unis don't hold grudges. (See my other reply )

And I'm very glad she (and you...) is doing better after your bereavements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isn’t there also the added benefit of a slightly more relaxed STEP offer in the next admission cycle?
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by HeadHoncho)
Isn’t there also the added benefit of a slightly more relaxed STEP offer in the next admission cycle?
Relaxed? You mean the new offer regime? it's not really much different imho, and not all colleges are offering it. But yes reapplying with A*A*A* could be helpful for STEP (although perhaps they'd still set a 1,1 or higher requirement given she's a gap year applicant... does happen). dunno...
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
North London1
Rep:
?
What is the 'new offer regime'? Do the colleges who are offering it have updated details on their websites yet? She has made her choice of college already, so it would be interesting if they offer it.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
What is the 'new offer regime'? Do the colleges who are offering it have updated details on their websites yet? She has made her choice of college already, so it would be interesting if they offer it.
See the Maths Entry Requirements here:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....y-requirements

The STEP grades required as part of an offer vary by College – see individual College websites for details – but are usually at least grade 1 in two STEP papers.
Depending on individual circumstances, some Colleges (1) may make an A Level applicant an offer which will be met if they achieve either A*A*A with at least grade 1 in two STEP papers or A*A*A* with at least grade 1 in one of the two STEP papers taken.
All undergraduate admissions decisions are the responsibility of the Cambridge Colleges so also check individual College websites for College-specific requirements and further details. See also Entrance requirements and The Subject Matters for additional advice about general requirements for entry, qualifications and offers.
(1) Downing, Emmanuel, Fitzwilliam, Jesus, King’s, Lucy Cavendish, Newnham, St Catharine’s, Sidney Sussex, Trinity Hall.

PS. It's best to quote the post when you reply so the person you are replying to gets a notification

PPS. But I wouldn't necessarily expect this to apply to a gap year applicant. Note the phrase "depending on individual circumstances"...
North London1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
See the Maths Entry Requirements here:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....y-requirements

The STEP grades required as part of an offer vary by College – see individual College websites for details – but are usually at least grade 1 in two STEP papers.
Depending on individual circumstances, some Colleges (1) may make an A Level applicant an offer which will be met if they achieve either A*A*A with at least grade 1 in two STEP papers or A*A*A* with at least grade 1 in one of the two STEP papers taken.
All undergraduate admissions decisions are the responsibility of the Cambridge Colleges so also check individual College websites for College-specific requirements and further details. See also Entrance requirements and The Subject Matters for additional advice about general requirements for entry, qualifications and offers.
(1) Downing, Emmanuel, Fitzwilliam, Jesus, King’s, Lucy Cavendish, Newnham, St Catharine’s, Sidney Sussex, Trinity Hall.

PS. It's best to quote the post when you reply so the person you are replying to gets a notification

PPS. But I wouldn't necessarily expect this to apply to a gap year applicant. Note the phrase "depending on individual circumstances"...
Thank you. I expect it doesn't make any difference, but the fact that her new choice college is on your list implies a degree of flexibility
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (141)
18.24%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
10.09%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (132)
17.08%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (110)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (236)
30.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed