The Student Room Group

Lonely at Uni

i'm in my last month of my first year which is a foundation year. I still live in uni halls but have to travel 10 miles/day to a college. Uni promised me the best experience of my life. A time to cherish, but I now I can't see anything in that. I stay in my room with the free time I have and rarely talk to my flatmates who I used to get on with. They've made a friendship group now which I'm not a part of and i dont really like their new friends. I have one friend who I see everyday at college but apart from that I keep to myself. I stopped going out clubbing after freshers and I just never enjoyed it. I try the swimming club occasionally but little time to train has meant I don't really know any of them even though I've been a member for 7 months. I keep to myself most of the time now and I think I'm starting to lose it. My social skills are rubbish now and I'm an awkward person to be around. I was fine before uni. I miss home and everything to do with it. Its got to the point where Im counting down the days until exams are over. Laying in bed hearing my flatmates laugh and become best friends makes me a little jelous and just reminds me that I couldn't do that. I know you're probably thinking why don't I just try to talk to my flatmates more & invest myself into being more sociable but I just feel that its too late now. I have a job as a lifeguard, I try to go to the gym a fair amount and Im in college a lot of the time which means unlike my flatmates, I dont have much spare time. I wish uni had turned out better for me. If its like this for the next 3 years I cant see myself finishing it. If anyone can relate to this then feel free to comment. Cheers
uni is a load of bs anyway
Original post by cameron2468
i'm in my last month of my first year which is a foundation year. I still live in uni halls but have to travel 10 miles/day to a college. Uni promised me the best experience of my life. A time to cherish, but I now I can't see anything in that. I stay in my room with the free time I have and rarely talk to my flatmates who I used to get on with. They've made a friendship group now which I'm not a part of and i dont really like their new friends. I have one friend who I see everyday at college but apart from that I keep to myself. I stopped going out clubbing after freshers and I just never enjoyed it. I try the swimming club occasionally but little time to train has meant I don't really know any of them even though I've been a member for 7 months. I keep to myself most of the time now and I think I'm starting to lose it. My social skills are rubbish now and I'm an awkward person to be around. I was fine before uni. I miss home and everything to do with it. Its got to the point where Im counting down the days until exams are over. Laying in bed hearing my flatmates laugh and become best friends makes me a little jelous and just reminds me that I couldn't do that. I know you're probably thinking why don't I just try to talk to my flatmates more & invest myself into being more sociable but I just feel that its too late now. I have a job as a lifeguard, I try to go to the gym a fair amount and Im in college a lot of the time which means unlike my flatmates, I dont have much spare time. I wish uni had turned out better for me. If its like this for the next 3 years I cant see myself finishing it. If anyone can relate to this then feel free to comment. Cheers

I completely understand. I am coming up to the end of my first year and relate to this so much. I also used to get along with my flat mates but they all had their own thing to do and stopped asking me to join them, which is the same for a friendship group I joined before realising they were more exclusive to themselves and would rather not have any one else involved. I also stayed in my room for weeks on end like you and thought that uni was supposed to be so much better, to the point where I stopped going to lectures and seminars because I thought they were pointless. The only thing I can suggest is that if you've finished your foundation year, you could try applying to another University to do another course and start again as that's what I'm doing, I'm hoping a fresh start will help me out a lot! Even though the UCAS deadline has passed you will have until June/July to find out if Universities still have places on their course. I thought I was the only one who felt like this but you're not alone.

Quick Reply

Latest