The Student Room Group

MSc Data Science : University of Southampton or University of Glasgow?

Hi everyone,

I am an international student, and have received unconditional offers for MSc. Data Science from the University of Southampton as well as the University of Glasgow. I know both are decent universities in terms of rankings. Can you guys help me weigh the pros and cons of both? The programme is offered by the Electronics and Computer Science faculty in Southampton, and the School of Computing Science in Glasgow, if that helps. Any help or information about the course, university, location etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
DE
Original post by data_enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I am an international student, and have received unconditional offers for MSc. Data Science from the University of Southampton as well as the University of Glasgow. I know both are decent universities in terms of rankings. Can you guys help me weigh the pros and cons of both? The programme is offered by the Electronics and Computer Science faculty in Southampton, and the School of Computing Science in Glasgow, if that helps. Any help or information about the course, university, location etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
DE

How do the courses compare? Reputation means little.
Hey guys, I have a choice between Glasgow and City, University of London. The big difference is that city offers industrial internship within the program while Glasgow does not - it just seems good but I Glasgow seems to be a better school overall from what I have read online. I was hoping anyone can give me more info.
Original post by Nkjayhawk
Hey guys, I have a choice between Glasgow and City, University of London. The big difference is that city offers industrial internship within the program while Glasgow does not - it just seems good but I Glasgow seems to be a better school overall from what I have read online. I was hoping anyone can give me more info.

Hi there, I attended Glasgow (albeit for English Literature) but have also lived in the city for a number of years. Is there anything specific you wanted to know about the uni or the city?

Thanks,

Lilith
Original post by BridgeHouseGlasgow
Hi there, I attended Glasgow (albeit for English Literature) but have also lived in the city for a number of years. Is there anything specific you wanted to know about the uni or the city?

Thanks,

Lilith

I basically have questions regarding industry links and job prospects in Glasgow for Computer Science/Data Science fields. How are the prices for housing?
Original post by Nkjayhawk
I basically have questions regarding industry links and job prospects in Glasgow for Computer Science/Data Science fields. How are the prices for housing?

I'm afraid I can't help you with Computer Science questions. Except anecdotally I know of friends who did the Computer Science undergraduate degree, loved it and are now employed but I understand a Msc is a Masters course?

Housing prices really vary depending on the type of housing, location and facilities. Most masters students will opt for either renting a room in a flat owned by a private landlord or managed by a letting agent. These will vary greatly in price based upon location and the quality of the flat. The West End is a very highly sought after area due to being majority students and professionals. You would be looking at paying around £300-£375 for a room in a shared flat in the West End of Glasgow depending on where in the West End you choose and how nice the flat is! This price isn't including bills so bear that in mind. I would have a look on the Glasgow Student Representative Council flat share website and websites like SpareRoom and Gumtree for available rooms like this. The benefits here is you get the experience of living in a private flat and you have some ready made friends in the form of your flatmates. However, it can be more difficult to manage bills, there is the risk of not getting on with the flatmates you find and private landlords can be a bit hit or miss.

In terms of student accommodation prices vary greatly depending on the type of room/flat you choose and facilities. Student halls are generally shared flats with en-suite rooms where you share a kitchen/living area with other students. Privately owned halls will have these too as well as studio flats - self contained rooms with kitchen facilities as well as the bed/en-suite bathroom. These are obviously more expensive and have implications socially i.e. it is arguably harder to meet people when you're not sharing a kitchen. Student halls really vary in size, quality and facilities and each provider will give you a good idea of what they offer online - the same goes for university buildings. All your bills will be inclusive in your rent as standard though.

As an example, at my building, Bridge House, we have 128 beds split between 6 bed shared flats. Our prices start at £145 per week for an en-suite room in a shared flat for all your utilities as well as your rent. We also have facilities like an on-site gym and study/social areas. Have a look at our website here: http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/property/bridge-house/

I hope this helps.

If you've got any more questions don't hesitate to reply again. :smile:

Lilith

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending