The Student Room Group

Desktop and cheap laptop vs expensive laptop

Scroll to see replies

How did everything work out for you? what laptop did you get? I was thinking about this plan too. My budget is £1000. I'm thinking about getting a laptop for like £500 and build a desktop for £500 and then upgrade it later. I can't quite comprehend getting a laptop that's any less than 8 gb RAM, or 128GB SSD (my current laptop's breaking and has 1 TB hard drive and I'm switching to SSD, HDD is slow). And such laptops cost over £400 these days. I wouldn't mind getting a 4GB RAM laptop with upgradability. Hmmm. I don't game much, I play less often, like casual GTA 5, pubg so on. plus I have to use Android studio, visual studio, blender etc.
Original post by Anagogic
I'm heading off to Uni in September and if it wasn't for that without question I'd get a desktop...
However I'll need something portable to take into Uni.
My total budget is around £1,000 so my thoughts were to either get a relatively cheap laptop for around £250 to £300 (solely used for uni) then spend £700 on desktop components and self build or alternatively just spend it all on a good laptop.

I'd be mainly using it for Uni and gaming but in regards to gaming I'm not too bothered about running things on the highest settings and I'd be playing games such as: CS, Quake, Doom, UT, StarCraft, PUBG/Fortnite exc...

Long term you'd obviously save with the desktop as the components are easily replaced, what would your recommend or do you have any other suggestions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending