The Student Room Group

Is it unusual to feel embarassed/awkward about saying you go to Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Yes.
Original post by DanielSmith1999
This is a bit of an odd thread, but am I the only one that feels a tad awkward or reluctant to say that they study at Oxbridge?

I’ll be studying at Ox from Oct and in my work people often ask where I’ll be going for university. Of course I tell them where, but otherwise I avoid the “Oxford” word as such to avoid people thinking I’m boastful.

Is it just me?

Just prefix it with "Don't hold it against me".
Original post by RogerOxon
Just prefix it with "Don't hold it against me".

Especially when amongst Cambridge students.
This has to be the most up your own arse thread I've ever seen, just say you study at Oxford and get on with it, people have better things to do than care about your university. Most people are not like people on TSR.
(edited 5 years ago)
just say "i study in the Latin Quarter of Cowley"....
Original post by DanielSmith1999
This is a bit of an odd thread, but am I the only one that feels a tad awkward or reluctant to say that they study at Oxbridge?

I’ll be studying at Ox from Oct and in my work people often ask where I’ll be going for university. Of course I tell them where, but otherwise I avoid the “Oxford” word as such to avoid people thinking I’m boastful.

Is it just me?

Not just you at all! I try not to say it unless directly asked because I don't like how people often start treating me differently the moment I've said where I did my undergrad. It also leads people to think I know everything under the sun about classical music, when I know jack **** about it (why I thought I should study there and how I passed is still beyond me in many ways, tbh) :erm:
Reply 26
If you said you go "to Oxbridge" then you should feel embarrassed for being a fool. :tongue:

Otherwise, it is what it is if people ask. Their responses may demonstrate their own hang-ups - some people will be overly impressed and some people will feel the need to defensively ***** about them. If you're the one bringing it up out of context you'll probably look like you're humble bragging!
If you are working a non graduate or menial job after going to Oxbridge then yes
Original post by iodo345
If you are working a non graduate or menial job after going to Oxbridge then yes

youre such a..

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
My daughter has a conditional offer at Oxford and is a clever kid. She is humble trys to rumb down her achievements because of others envy.
BUT if she was a brilliant runner, swimmer, actor etc then I am sure she would be trated completely differently.

This I think is a British problem.
Original post by auburnstar
Very true. As people get older they realise the really important things above all else. Which isn't to say that prior experiences don't matter or weren't valuable, it's just that we become more receptive to a greater variety of people and experiences.

Really? I don't know how old you mean here but people become much more conservative as they age, and it depends on the company but in my experience older people (30 and up) seem a lot more status-driven, to care a lot more about what your job is or what uni you went to.

I think the impression that people get more liberal with age is simply because people who go to uni get more liberal. But come out again and you're back into the brexit-voting status-driven masses.
Yeah I try not to mention it too much but other people keep bringing it up and it gets p annoying sometimes.
You shouldn't feel too embarrassed about going to Oxford.

Not everyone can go to Cambridge..
Why would you be embarrassed? You worked hard for it. You should be showing off
Original post by melliottme
My daughter has a conditional offer at Oxford and is a clever kid. She is humble trys to rumb down her achievements because of others envy.
BUT if she was a brilliant runner, swimmer, actor etc then I am sure she would be trated completely differently.

This I think is a British problem.

Indeed, it is the Worship of Ignorance. British culture is deeply imbued with an adoration of moronity and a delight in the stupid, the average and the mediocre. Thank goodness. It would be hateful to make too much of a fuss about our achievements, we would be here all day.

Let's all just have a nice cup of tea and gently mock some successful types.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Indeed, it is the Worship of Ignorance. British culture is deeply imbued with an adoration of moronity and a delight in the stupid, the average and the mediocre. Thank goodness. It would be hateful to make too much of a fuss about our achievements, we would be here all day.

Let's all just have a nice cup of tea and gently mock some successful types.

I think it's quite widely believed that admission is still by secret handshake and twirl of the old school tie.
Reply 36
Original post by nexttime
Yeah if people find that out they tend to pigeon-hole you as the 'Oxford person' and there's no shaking it after that. The same goes for my occupation as well, so i tend to respond vaguely, or occasionally even overtly lie depending on the company, to avoid it.

What do you say?
Original post by Joinedup
I think it's quite widely believed that admission is still by secret handshake and twirl of the old school tie.

Dang. The secret is out then.
Reply 38
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Dang. The secret is out then.

Only if the actual handshake is revealed.

But that would lead to a :banned: ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Only if the actual handshake is revealed.

But that would lead to a :banned: ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

The secret is safe with me. :hahaha::handkiss::headbang::hellloo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending