The Student Room Group

Pls help me choose a level subjects

I'm new to the student room, so sorry if I'm doing this all wrong haha. I'm currently in year 11 and I need to choose my a level subjects by the 4th of May yikesss. In my school, I have to take 5 subjects including two sciences and a language. I want to pursue aerospace engineering in the future so I have chosen (for sure) Maths and Physics (subjects I love), English Literature (one of my stronger subjects) and I don't know what else to choose. For my second science, I can't decide between chemistry and environmental management. I am rubbish at chemistry but apparently some universities only accept you into the aerospace engineering programme if you took chem? I'm not very interested in the environment either but I heard EM is a soft subject. Lastly, I have the option of sociology and economics. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about either. If anyone knows anything about chem, em, sociology and economics that could help me out, please do let me know! :smile:)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by raechelgurung
I'm new to the student room, so sorry if I'm doing this all wrong haha. I'm currently in year 11 and I need to choose my a level subjects by the 4th of May yikesss. In my school, I have to take 5 subjects including two sciences and a language. I want to pursue aerospace engineering in the future so I have chosen (for sure) Maths and Physics (subjects I love), English Literature (one of my stronger subjects) and I don't know what else to choose. For my second science, I can't decide between chemistry and environmental management. I am rubbish at chemistry but apparently some universities only accept you into the aerospace engineering programme if you took chem? I'm not very interested in the environment either but I heard EM is a soft subject. Lastly, I have the option of sociology and economics. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about either. If anyone knows anything about chem, em, sociology and economics that could help me out, please do let me know! :smile:)

Chemistry is much harder than at GCSE, I really would not recommend taking it. I did AS Chemistry, biology, german, business, and media studies. Biology was ok, I love german, and it was good to have 2 'soft subjects' to give me a break from the others.
If I were you I'd do Maths, physics, english environmental and economics. if you're interested in maths and physics, economics looks better than sociology.

Have a look at a uni you might want to go to and see what they ask for
Reply 2
I would be very surprised if a uni required Chem for AE
Original post by graceflower4747
Chemistry is much harder than at GCSE, I really would not recommend taking it. I did AS Chemistry, biology, german, business, and media studies. Biology was ok, I love german, and it was good to have 2 'soft subjects' to give me a break from the others.
If I were you I'd do Maths, physics, english environmental and economics. if you're interested in maths and physics, economics looks better than sociology.

Have a look at a uni you might want to go to and see what they ask for

thank you so much for ur help! yeah that subject combination sounds good
Original post by Sataris
I would be very surprised if a uni required Chem for AE

oh hahah i hope it isn't required. it's my worst subject but some sites say its good to stay safe and take chem bc its a facilitating subject ahhhhhh idk
Reply 5
oh hahah i hope it isn't required. it's my worst subject but some sites say its good to stay safe and take chem bc its a facilitating subject ahhhhhh idk

Not facilitating for aerospace haha. Any idea what you would want to drop for year 13?
Original post by Sataris
Not facilitating for aerospace haha. Any idea what you would want to drop for year 13?

if i do take em, than yeah that bc its only for AS :smile:
Reply 7
if i do take em, than yeah that bc its only for AS :smile:

I mean specifically which subject(s) would you drop
Original post by Sataris
I mean specifically which subject(s) would you drop

oh sorry lol actually nothing in particular i don't really care. when i do AS i'll just drop whatever subject i suck at, during that time haha
Reply 9
oh sorry lol actually nothing in particular i don't really care. when i do AS i'll just drop whatever subject i suck at, during that time haha

Okies, well you've got what you need in Maths and Physics so just choose what you enjoy most and at least it'll be funnnnnnn
Original post by Sataris
Okies, well you've got what you need in Maths and Physics so just choose what you enjoy most and at least it'll be funnnnnnn

okk thank u so much!

I don't think chemistry is very relevant or important for Aerospace unless you're looking at a top uni (where three STEM subjects are highly preferred). Considered Further Maths?
Original post by TheMindGarage
I don't think chemistry is very relevant or important for Aerospace unless you're looking at a top uni (where three STEM subjects are highly preferred). Considered Further Maths?

no further maths in my school:frown:
no further maths in my school:frown:

That sucks. Have you tried looking at the Further Maths Support Program? Doing a little is better than none at all, and it would show that you're enthusiastic.
Original post by TheMindGarage
That sucks. Have you tried looking at the Further Maths Support Program? Doing a little is better than none at all, and it would show that you're enthusiastic.

oh i actually didn't think of that. i'll look into it thanks!
You don't need chemistry for aerospace engineering. If you have maths and physics, and your school does not offer further maths, then you'd be best picking your strongest subjects so you can achieve the highest grades. As has also previously been mentioned, there is the Further Maths Support Program, too.

for aerospace engineering you should really have further maths. if you dont like the idea of further maths then you will have a really tough time at uni with engineering...

you should choose physics, maths, further maths and english lit.
(edited 6 years ago)
5 subjects ????
Most people only do 3 unless you are targeted above 7 in everything you get to do 4.
Original post by Katieb1232002
5 subjects ????
Most people only do 3 unless you are targeted above 7 in everything you get to do 4.

yeah all my predicted grades are A*s. idk why the school i'm going to is so weird haha it makes us take 5 in the beginning of AS. we can drop one during the first year if we want and then drop another one in A2
dont do subjects that you hate a level isnt gcse its much much harder! so pick ones your passionate about, you need a language ouch? Choose environmental management look at the spec it seems decent evnthought I aint picking that. My ex did chemistry, physics and maths I think for aerospace either way he got in but he was able to choose economics which is also classified as a science. economics is like a mashup of all the subjects bit of maths, bit of geography, bit of business, food tech and history. But it is an essay based subject but since your strong at eng lit you should be okay! Im defn not picking it just because I have not much interest and I've already chosen 4/5 subjects.

I have no idea about sociology sorry! Might wanna check out the specs for that

Quick Reply