The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quizlet
Hello!

I thought it would be nice to make a "my cancer journey" blog. The reason for this is I want to update people on my progress with chemotherapy and drugs etc. and also give an insight to people who may not have experienced cancer or seen cancer first hand what it's really like.

Don't be afraid to ask me any questions, I will answer any questions as long as it's sensible.

FAQ:

What type of cancer do I have?

Spoiler

What stage?

Spoiler

What drugs do I take?

Spoiler

Am I bald?

Spoiler

I'll try to keep you updated weekly at the least. :smile:

If you'd like to be tagged whenever there is an update, please let me know. Thanks.

Quizlet.

:lovehug: Tag me Quizlet, with you every step of the way <3
meme
I know my words don't mean much but you genuinely are such a brave and strong human being. :lovehug: I am so sorry for what you are going through. :sad: I remember when my Aunty had stage 4 cancer, and it was horrific. :cry2: I really hope you win this battle and we all are with you, every step of the way :grouphugs: Please could you also tag me :heart::love:
Hope you get well soon dude :hugs:

would you like this moving to Health or is chat fine for you? :smile:

good luck :console:
Reply 24
Original post by DrawTheLine
You can do it, we are all rooting for you!

How were you diagnosed, what kind of symptoms did you have (if any)?

Losing weight quite rapidly and my legs were hurting quite a lot, and I would feel really dizzy, and they did an MRI followed by a biopsy to confirm that it was cancer.

Original post by Mill Hill
My heart is with you. It is fortunate that you have been diagnosed in stage 1, which means statistically good prognosis.

Did you need to undergo a biopsy for the diagnosis to be completed, or did the doctors manage to diagnose the cancer during other investigation?

I know that many cancers are really difficult to diagnose, especially among young people.

Read above :smile:.

Original post by Toy Soldiers
I'll be following your thread. It's very brave of you to be sharing your journey however difficult it may be. Question: How old are you and when were you diagnosed?

Original post by laurawatt
Please can I be tagged? :smile:
When did you first get diagnosed?

Last year after exams (June/July 2017).
Reply 25
02/05/2018

This will be a quick post, after this week, I'll be making posts which are much more lengthy. Think of this as an "introductory" post.

I have a meeting tomorrow to discuss the pain I have been feeling in my stomach, legs, and hands.

Have an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) this week on my brain and spinal cord (with contrast) as they're concerned that my benign tumours there have grown.

Regularly taking pain killers, as usual, however far less than I was a year ago.

Have been feeling pretty good this week- I have been in pain here and there, but I've managed to come into college everyday and attend all my lessons etc.

Having nosebleeds quite frequently- I will be mentioning this in the meeting tomorrow, it might be something to do with chemotherapy.

That's all for this week,
Quizlet.

The people who wanted to be tagged:

Spoiler

Original post by Quizlet
02/05/2018

This will be a quick post, after this week, I'll be making posts which are much more lengthy. Think of this as an "introductory" post.

I have a meeting tomorrow to discuss the pain I have been feeling in my stomach, legs, and hands.

Have an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) this week on my brain and spinal cord (with contrast) as they're concerned that my benign tumours there have grown.

Regularly taking pain killers, as usual, however far less than I was a year ago.

Have been feeling pretty good this week- I have been in pain here and there, but I've managed to come into college everyday and attend all my lessons etc.

Having nosebleeds quite frequently- I will be mentioning this in the meeting tomorrow, it might be something to do with chemotherapy.

Quizlet.

Spoiler

Good luck for tomorrow and the rest of this week!
Original post by Quizlet
02/05/2018

Quizlet.

Spoiler

Good luck with the meeting and MRI scan! I really hope your tumours there have not grown or at least have not grown significantly :sad:

I am happy to hear your painkiller dose has decreased in comparison to a year ago :grin:

Well done for attending all your lessons and getting through the week! :woo:

I did not know chemotherapy might have that effect :zomg:
Original post by Quizlet
02/05/2018

Quizlet.

Spoiler

Hey, I know we've never spoken before but I just wanted to point out the obvious and state how brave you are for fighting cancer; I don't know much about bone cancer in particular but I know cancer can be a really, really horrible illness in general. Sorry to hear you've been in some pain but well done you for fighting regardless. Glad to hear you've been feeling good otherwise! :h:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Quizlet
02/05/2018

Quizlet.

Spoiler

Hey, I hope the pain goes away :lovehug: and I'm glad you feel better :littleangel::jumphug:If you don't mind me asking, what subjects do you do? :heart:
Original post by Quizlet
02/05/2018

Quizlet.

Spoiler

:hugs: hope the meeting goes well :heart:
Reply 31
I've known too many people who have had cancer or died from itStay strong and stay positive You'll get through this My prayers are with you :wink:
I've never spoken to you before but I wish you all the luck in the world. Nobody deserves to be in this situation.
Reply 33
Could i plz get tagged??
Reply 34
sorry to hear all this OP, as it's stage 1 it looks like they've caught it early so that is good.......
Jus wna let yk that ur going through something which not many people experience and it must be rlly tough for u but ur a strong person and u can do it. Hope ur treatment goes well and the fact that u wna share it is truly inspiring
Tag me! I’m with you much loveeeee
Reply 37
26/05/2018

Update #2

I'm so sorry for not keeping you updated! Internal and external exams got in the way and I was very, very stressed. Thankfully, I've completed all my exams. :smile:

The meeting I had two weeks ago went well. I now have a plan of action.

Had another meeting and they thought that some medication wasn't necessary, and to cut down on some. This really helped because I feel less tired, there's less nausea etc.

MRI with contrast was OK. Benign tumours actually shrank a little, we were all very pleased.

Lower dose of chemotherapy (all my tumours seem to be shrinking :smile: ).

Nosebleeds were probably due to chemotherapy, the doctors don't know for sure but want to do some further tests in June to be safe.

Exams are done!!!!!! I can relax at home!!!!!!

All in all, very good news! :smile:

Spoiler

I will be looking through the questions and probably will answer all of them by tomorrow. Sorry to keep you waiting!
So happy it's good news and you can relax! Enjoy your summer.
Original post by Quizlet
26/05/2018

Update #2

I'm so sorry for not keeping you updated! Internal and external exams got in the way and I was very, very stressed. Thankfully, I've completed all my exams. :smile:

The meeting I had two weeks ago went well. I now have a plan of action.

Had another meeting and they thought that some medication wasn't necessary, and to cut down on some. This really helped because I feel less tired, there's less nausea etc.

MRI with contrast was OK. Benign tumours actually shrank a little, we were all very pleased.

Lower dose of chemotherapy (all my tumours seem to be shrinking :smile: ).

Nosebleeds were probably due to chemotherapy, the doctors don't know for sure but want to do some further tests in June to be safe.

Exams are done!!!!!! I can relax at home!!!!!!

All in all, very good news! :smile:

Spoiler

I will be looking through the questions and probably will answer all of them by tomorrow. Sorry to keep you waiting!

Glad to hear you’re feeling better! Hugssssss

Latest