?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Post removed
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What opinions would you like to see offered? What interpretation and analysis do you already have? It's not our job to do your prep work for you.
PoppieCrean
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
What opinions would you like to see offered? What interpretation and analysis do you already have? It's not our job to do your prep work for you.
No no I'm not asking for that. I was just struggling to understand the passage thats all, and wanted a little help.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PoppieCrean)
No no I'm not asking for that. I was just struggling to understand the passage thats all, and wanted a little help.
What specifically are you unsure of? Do you have a question to answer or something for your presentation? If we know a little more about the context then we can help you out n the details.
PoppieCrean
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
What specifically are you unsure of? Do you have a question to answer or something for your presentation? If we know a little more about the context then we can help you out n the details.
I need to present on whether the argument is convincing, but I'm struggling to understand on a basic level what the passage is actually trying to state, or what Plato is trying to state.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I need to present on whether the argument is convincing, but I'm struggling to understand on a basic level what the passage is actually trying to state, or what Plato is trying to state.
Now I follow!

The Theaetetus is a dialogue concerning the nature of knowledge (and so truth). Protagoras is being presented here as advancing a sort of relativism, viz. that there is not Truth with a big T, only relative truths with a small t. The effect of this is that 'truth' is different depending on who you ask.

Socrates is trying to force the point that it is incoherent to hold a position that reduces truth to a relativistic opinion rather than a verifiable thing - this is why he brings in the examples of the men at war (slightly prior to the extract you have given).

Protagoras holds opinions that he (Protagoras) believes to be true.

If truth is relative, then a man next to him might say that Protagoras' opinions are false.

Who is right? It seems like Protagoras is right but his objector - according to Protagoras' own doctrine - is also right, meaning that Protagoras' opinion (or doctrine of relativism, if you like) is at once True and False.

Socrates thinks this is undesirable because it is an absurdity (think of the Forms as objective, independent, immutable Truths).

This page will help make sense of the finer details.
PoppieCrean
Rep:
?
Thank you
PoppieCrean
Rep:
?
Thank you so much, I was really struggling to understand it. We were being asked how this contributed to Plato's overall aim and it was really confusing me
Ah, so Protagoras is almost shooting himself in the foot if you know what I mean?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ah, so Protagoras is almost shooting himself in the foot if you know what I mean?
Yep - his theory can be construed as contradictory or self-defeating (if we are generous) and so Socrates thinks that Protagoras occupies an absurd position
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (6)
10.34%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.62%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.17%
I need help with my personal statement (25)
43.1%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
24.14%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.45%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads