The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, i do a load of past exam questions, but as they are only an hour long, and there's only just over 5 years worth of questions (which are often recycled) they dont actually last that long.
Reply 3081
Hmm, well, our exams are supposed to last for 3 hours, and there's enough questions to do each exam two or three times using a unique combination each time.
well, ours are also three hours long, but you answer 3 questions on each of the papers, so to that is only 1 hour each. it doesn't really make sense to do all 3 hours for purposes of revision.
Apagg
I got a 1st with my 9-10 plan, so I see no need to match him

It isn't a competition. I just said some people are like that.

Also, I daresay this year is a tad harder... :s-smilie:
Reply 3084
The way you said it seemed to imply I was silly not to follow such a plan. I apologise.
Reply 3085
argh haircut/trim in 10 minutes, so glad I got an appointment, I look like Dumbledore atm :biggrin:
Reply 3086
Argh!! As others have said, you guys are really freaking me out. I can't believe I basically did about 4 hours a day in both previous years. I was just organising with Virgil the other day about how we'd be extra good this year cos it was finals and do 6 hours a day... but even that sounds ambitious!! Hahahaha, I seriously need to have a Cambridge reality check and get my act together. But I've just never been designed to work... :frown: I doubt I've ever done more than 4 hours revision in a single day.

Ooo minimo, haircut? Are you going to Director's? Tell me how it goes I'm gonna go in first week back!
Reply 3087
Bumblebee3
I've just read the last couple of pages... am shocked! Don't wear yourselves out guys. If you really need to do that many hours to do well then fair enough, but make sure it's not counter productive. I found that making sure I'd done all the necessary supervision essays and really engaged with them in the first place was far more effective than cramming. In the end I was extremely ill in exam term and was only able to read for a couple of hours a day - it worked just as well as bitty revision cards and all that stuff.

Marilyn Strathern (Girton Mistress) said to me that reading for pleasure in the run up to exams was by far the best way to prepare, and she really was right (I hasten to add that I'm referring to arts/essay based subjects, I wouldn't presume to advise scientists how to prepare).

:dito: to all of that :biggrin: - but then I'm a bit of an idealist.
Reply 3088
Adhsur
Argh!! As others have said, you guys are really freaking me out. I can't believe I basically did about 4 hours a day in both previous years. I was just organising with Virgil the other day about how we'd be extra good this year cos it was finals and do 6 hours a day... but even that sounds ambitious!! Hahahaha, I seriously need to have a Cambridge reality check and get my act together. But I've just never been designed to work... :frown: I doubt I've ever done more than 4 hours revision in a single day.

Ooo minimo, haircut? Are you going to Director's? Tell me how it goes I'm gonna go in first week back!

yep, I really like it :smile:
Reply 3089
It seems rather uncharacteristic that everybody got spooked by Craig's example timetable other than me :rolleyes: :rofl:
*Joanna*

I saw our random duck in the garden today and she has pretty little ducklings. So fluffy and small and cute! Also had a major panic because I couldn't find my laundry card and I seriously need to do some washing- turned my room upside down then found it in my purse where I obviously hadn't looked properly the first time!

I hate it when I do that...
CorpusNinja
It isn't a competition. I just said some people are like that.

Also, I daresay this year is a tad harder... :s-smilie:

Hello :smile: Who are you?
Reply 3090
He's a 2nd year Economist from Corpus
minimo
aaaargh
*kills self*

I''m panicing now. aaaaghhh

no-one should compare their timetables to mine - i was an architect. lol
Is there a stereotype attached to architects that i don't know? I think you're th eonly architect i know... we don't have them at catz...
The architect stereotype I know is of someone who is a bit zany, has a habit of seeing things in a completely different way from everyone else, and seems to spend their entire life doing project work.

Oh, and they come and ferret round in the engineering department skips for materials to make models out of. Scavs!
Nina
Wow. I never do that much work. I just don't understand what people actually seem to DO in that time. I probably do about five or six hours a day in exam term - but I work hard the rest of the year, so all i'm really doing is learning the little interesting nuances of bits as I learned all the main arguments when I studied them the first time. Seriously, what do you guys do??

Adhsur
Argh!! As others have said, you guys are really freaking me out. I can't believe I basically did about 4 hours a day in both previous years. I was just organising with Virgil the other day about how we'd be extra good this year cos it was finals and do 6 hours a day... but even that sounds ambitious!! Hahahaha, I seriously need to have a Cambridge reality check and get my act together. But I've just never been designed to work... I doubt I've ever done more than 4 hours revision in a single day.

Yeah, I think it's different for us philosophers. Generally just thinking about a subject is probably more productive than actually reading stuff a lot of the time. I got 2.is in all my papers last year apart from logic where I got a 3rd, and logic I think is the one where you really need to put effort in: learn the arguments and all the formal logic stuff. The others papers are a lot more blaggable, and the grade you get is partly dependent on luck: whether a topic comes up that you've thought about a lot, wrote a supervision essay on etc. Set Texts last year I found I just wrote out my supervision essays pretty much word for word, and that was my best paper. It could have gone horribly wrong if something unexpected came up, so I was lucky. At the same time, the same topics do seem to come up every year, so if you have 4 topics prepared in that you have a lot to say on each, it's fine. Ethics and Metaphysics really vary from year to year, and I think a lot of the time you just cannot prepare for the weird questions that come up. You just have to think on your feet and argue your point.

That's how I justify my lack of revision anyway. When it got to exam week I upped my game slightly, but I think you get to the point where any more reading is going to be useless. I barely use any of it anyway!
i've fallen in love (with a dress.) i can only justify it if i can wear it to Clare Ball though... what do you girls (and boys if you want to offer an opinion) reckon?

Spoiler

Reply 3096
Fits you really nicely but I'm not a fan of the patterns! (slightly too zebra). How much does it cost? Your blue one seems to suit you more :smile:
Its £40 but I could live on that for a week! and its an iconic Marimekko print :>.<: hell, i'll probably buy it anyway!
I LOVE (!!!) that dress. You should buy it anyway. Its gorgeous. Wanty.

Oh and thanks Emma and Rushda - you guys made me feel so much better!
Reply 3099
I love it on you! (As I already said :p:) Suits you very well and not prommy so I think that's a plus

Latest

Trending

Trending