The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The Solitary Reaper
I thought Cambridge was waaay better than Oxford, and Warwick was the same/better than Oxford for maths? Chill, OP.

Quiet quiet, you who are not at university yet. Oxford is astounding, and it's not such a dump like Cambridge is.
Aww. I was quite hung up over Oxbridge for three days too, and I'm not even a third of the candidate you are. I really feel for you, and I can only imagine how you must be feeling.

All I can say is, it's their loss. You sound like a top student, and if they turned you down, they're the ones who are missing out.

Go to any of the others and forget about them. :smile:
Anonymous
To be honest there's another thing I miss too. I used to go to one of the best schools in the Uk and I was head-girl. Whenever I talked to new people, they would have this 'wow - you must be so smart' look on their face and often said this much. I don't get that anymore!

I'm not sure which "new people" you are referring to here. If you mean new people at Warwick then of course you don't. Pretty much everyone here was one of the best at their schools so you're hardly going to impress anyone. You wouldn't at Oxbridge either.

If you mean people outside Warwick then I don't know what to tell you. I get it all the time - although it makes me uncomfortable.

And how does going to one of the best schools in the country make you "so smart"? I accept that you are very clever - being the top of any school means that's probably true. But, I don't think that was what people thought when they heard the name of your school. You seem to care an awful lot about what people think of you.

I suppose I do feel sympathetic for you, as it's kind of like you've been shifted out of your world a little bit. But 50% of your school goes to Oxbridge? Bloody hell. Surely that makes you realise that it's not really based on intelligence...

Throw yourself into Warwick a bit more. What societies have you joined? I know that being in the bubble can feel a little limiting at times but there's actually loads to do if you start going to socials and stuff.
webecomesilhouetes
Quiet quiet, you who are not at university yet. Oxford is astounding, and it's not such a dump like Cambridge is.

Clearly they only take on the most mature of students too!:p:
Reply 44
typical rich private school person. get over it, you'll be lucky to get a job with a degree from warwick, in my opinion its hardly worth the paper its written on.
jernobyl
Well then, it's very lucky that it's nothing but exactly that: your opinion.

Right. Look at the OP's post. He's a pathetic snob with a damaged superiority complex. The little virgin was finally put in his place when he was rejected, and it's hurt ever since like the pain of a big broom up your ass.
webecomesilhouetes
Right. Look at the OP's post. He's a pathetic snob with a damaged superiority complex. The little virgin was finally put in his place when he was rejected, and it's hurt ever since like the pain of a big broom up your ass.

The OP is female....

And please understand, people who've always been on top don't like it when they drop from that perch. It hurts their pride and ego.
Reply 47
webecomesilhouetes

Wanting to do well doesn't make you a snob. Working hard and wanting to get fair rewards doesn't make you up yourself.
Reply 48
Hey OP.

Sorry to hear that you're still feeling bad about not getting in. I don't know - obviously it is different for Maths, but I applied in 2005 to do English and was rejected after interview (probably 'cos I is dumb :p:) and truly see that as one of the best things that could've happened to me. I honestly think doing Single Honours English for 3 years would've caused me to drop out.

Anyway yeah, well - I only decided to do a Law conversion in my 2nd year because I know 100% I don't want to teach (which is what everyone assumes when you say you're doing English) and decided to apply to Cam as more of a laugh than anything (realistically was thinking of Bristol as my top offer). It's weird because I think Bristol would be a nicer place to go in terms of I wouldn't be stressed about the pretentious atmosphere that I'm anticipating, but obviously it'd be silly to pass up the offer to do Law at Cam.

My advice is: if you are still really hung up on 'missing out' (I do kind of know where you're coming from - because even though I actually am really glad I didn't get in first time round, I still couldn't watch shows/movies which referenced Oxbridge overly without feeling weird and wanting to change the channel) then maybe consider applying there for postgrad.? That's only if you WANT to do a postgrad. - don't just apply to 'go' as that would be a huge waste of money and time.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure what to suggest. Warwick is an awesome uni - I know someone who's in his last year of Physics there and always used to hold it over my head that I'm at Brum :p: - as many people in this thread have already said, and you should be proud that you are studying there.

I realise it must be difficult, especially if your whole life had been built up towards it - but maybe it is time to put it behind you... At the end of the day, what matters is what job you get with your degree - coming from Warwick you are in an equally strong position as anyone from Oxbridge.
Reply 49
jernobyl
Well then, it's very lucky that it's nothing but exactly that: your opinion.

yes
Steffiewoo
I'm not one for league tables but here goes...

1 Cambridge 5*A 5*A 5*B 569 92% 100
2 Oxford 5*B 5A 5*C 559 84% 94.4
3 Bristol 5B 5*A 5*A 491 78% 92.1
4 Bath 5A 5*B 5B 525 78% 91.7
5 Warwick 5B 5*A 5*B 523 74% 91

I am sorry but I have to ask, aren't those the RAE scores from 2001?
Reply 51
Anonymous
(Please keep anon or delete x)

Hello everyone,.

blah blah..etc

Why not just do well on the Warwick course and come up to take Part III?
Reply 52
Ad-Alta
My advice is: if you are still really hung up on 'missing out' (I do kind of know where you're coming from - because even though I actually am really glad I didn't get in first time round, I still couldn't watch shows/movies which referenced Oxbridge overly without feeling weird and wanting to change the channel)

Happy to see that I'm not alone, lol. I'm still sad and depressed when I look at pics of Oxbridge or read someone's sign and see that he has an offer from Oxbridge, but actually, I perfectly knew that I wasn't able to get into it.

I tried 'cause it was my dream, but actually, I applied for the best unis that offer course I want to read, and I'm aware now that a lot of people would kill to be at my place, and that I'm very very very lucky to get these offers and to have the possibility to study exactly what I want and where I want. Plus, later, nobody will care about where I studied (except me ...) 'cause studies are not that important in France...

So I think I won't be able to visit Oxbridge for a while, and it's still hard to go over it, but finally, I found excellent aspects in other unis I applied for (I'm not so kind of literature-based course as it is at Cam, and I don't want to spend my 2nd year abroad as student have to do at Oxford).

To the OP : I perfectly understand what you feel, and I know that's really hard not having people understanding what you feel. Your family must not be helpful acting as they do, and I think that visiting your friend in Oxbridge is not a very good idea. You should meet them in "neutral place", lol, to avoid dreams, temptations and romantic sides of these unis.

Try to concentrate more on Warwick and your course, try to make the most of it. You can also do a list of reasons why not going to Oxbridge is good (I did and it worked pretty well), and good luck ! :hugs:
talespirit
The OP is female....

And please understand, people who've always been on top don't like it when they drop from that perch. It hurts their pride and ego.

A lot of us would argue that this is a good, necessary thing. Nobody should have their ego left swollen and unchecked.
Reply 54
Geez, now you're making me feel bad about being happy with a Warwick offer. xD
I think us internationals are more sympathetic towards OP because we understand the pain of rejection a bit more. Most ints pay alot of money to study abroad and it is very important to get into an excellent university otherwise the investment is a waste.

Everyone is hurt by an Oxbridge rejection as whoever applies aspires to go and study there. Put your chin up and get your 1st from Warwick and all shall be okay :smile:
Reply 56
The Solitary Reaper
A lot of us would argue that this is a good, necessary thing. Nobody should have their ego left swollen and unchecked.

Besides, without getting totally pwned in debates once in a while, where commeth the motivation?

Part of the ethos of 'a community of scholars' is to spur each other on to greater things, not to have a pissing contest:p:
Wangers
Besides, without getting totally pwned in debates once in a while, where commeth the motivation?

Part of the ethos of 'a community of scholars' is to spur each other on to greater things, not to have a pissing contest:p:

Surely they are one and the same? They go hand in hand. Meh, I wouldn't call myself scholar (nor am I an Oxbridge hopeful btw) just living example that the A level system must be getting easier. Skip half my lectures, never revise and still manage to get A's.

Although when I first handed in my A2 coursework for English my teacher just shook her head alittle at its shortness, thus far that's had a lot work gone into it.
Reply 58
I think you have to get over it and focus on the positive aspects of your UNI. Oxbridge insnt the doorway to utopia. There are must be many negative aspects associated with it, just like any other uni. You cant really compare social lives of different unis, if you havent been there. Oxbridges social life could be much worse.
Warwick is an awsome uni and you should be proud of going there.

You shouldnt feel inferior. Your a clever person, and there are nasty people in this world you can pick up on that you feel inferior, and make oxbridge seem the bees knees of everything.

Your weakness has to be your interview. I know you said you were feeling ill, perhaps you could have let them know about this or rescheduled, something i would have done anyway.

**** happens in life, university is what you make it out to be.
Reply 59
Aksan
Geez, now you're making me feel bad about being happy with a Warwick offer. xD

Pffff, don't care about that :biggrin: . Warwick is an excellent place to study Maths and their degree is excellent. The problem is that the OP can't get over her rejection from Oxbridge, lol, not how good is a Maths degree from Warwick ^^.

Latest

Trending

Trending