Turn on thread page Beta

I'm a Humanist and Atheist, ask me questions and I'll try to answer them watch

ReputationRep:
    Ask away. No question too silly or too extreme. All questions answered as best I can. Sorry, no refunds.

ReputationRep:
    Should human 'rights' be extended to other primates?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Ask away. No question too silly or too extreme. All questions answered as best I can. Sorry, no refunds.
    a fellow humanist how long have you been an atheist/ identified as humanist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiomasher)
    Should human 'rights' be extended to other primates?
    My opinion is yes, with some caution and careful consideration about what exactly that means. I think we need to be particularly respectful of our own near-relatives when dealing with them and also, it is clear that they share many aspects of sentience with us, as do other animal species like elephants, whales, dolphins and some others. They may not be 'human' rights, but they would be 'primate' rights. We should in particular cease all use of primates for medical experimentation.

ReputationRep:
    Which is your favourite Chuckle Brother?

ReputationRep:
    Is Nāgārjuna really a realist-antimetaphysicist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    a fellow humanist how long have you been an atheist/ identified as humanist?
    I think I was probably brought up as one, my parents are firmly humanistic, but in terms of my own personal realisations, I think when I was about 12/13 I carefully reasoned and worked out that it could not possibly be the case that the church message of prayer to a listening personal God could be true, nor could it be the case that absolutist religious views wholly in contradiction with each other could be true, therefore, all must be false. I went from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    I sadly lack knowledge in this important and relevant area.

ReputationRep:
    They're getting a new TV show, yknow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Is Nāgārjuna really a realist-antimetaphysicist?
    I thought he was a Pyrrhonist. But's that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    They're getting a new TV show, yknow.
    I am glad to hear; they were good back in the day. Them and Recess, and I barely noticed me mam leaving me home alone on a Saturday to go to the bingo. To answer the question, I like the little one who looks like a naked mole-rat.

(I had to anxiously Google them to see if they'd been caught up in Yewtree after I posted. A sigh of relief was had.)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I think I was probably brought up as one, my parents are firmly humanistic, but in terms of my own personal realisations, I think when I was about 12/13 I carefully reasoned and worked out that it could not possibly be the case that the church message of prayer to a listening personal God could be true, nor could it be the case that absolutist religious views wholly in contradiction with each other could be true, therefore, all must be false. I went from there.
    That's interesting i came to similar conclusions with my lack of beliefs in any god but didnt know what humanism was till i was an adult. do you find find yourself explain your beliefs to religious believers much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    That's interesting i came to similar conclusions with my lack of beliefs in any god but didnt know what humanism was till i was an adult. do you find find yourself explain your beliefs to religious believers much?
    TBH, working in a university (and soon in an international NGO), I tend to find most people are similar to me in outlook, but I have had intense discussions/debates with the religious in the past, mainly at college. It's interesting to have discussions like this in public fora.

ReputationRep:
    I thought he was a Pyrrhonist. But's that's just me.
    A common but ultimately mistaken attribution not endorsed by his own writings in the Sanskrit. Though I am sort of impressed if you didn't google that!

ReputationRep:
    (I had to anxiously Google them to see if they'd been caught up in Yewtree after I posted. A sigh of relief was had.)
    I check once a year :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    So much I'd love to ask you! I'm doing RE for A level so we've been looking at both atheism and humanism. I find learning about other views is really interesting. I have no clue where to begin with questions though !

ReputationRep:
    Why is yanking away the opium of the poeple a humane thing to do when so much of humanity lives a hard miserable life.

ReputationRep:
    A common but ultimately mistaken attribution not endorsed by his own writings in the Sanskrit. Though I am sort of impressed if you didn't google that!
    I've read some stuff about Buddhism, but not deeply. I didn't Google it.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anything a human can't do?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    TBH, working in a university (and soon in an international NGO), I tend to find most people are similar to me in outlook, but I have had intense discussions/debates with the religious in the past, mainly at college. It's interesting to have discussions like this in public fora.
    I try to avoid getting too intensely into conversations with strong religious believers as i feel they'll either find offence or not take my beliefs serious but most people in my life have similar beliefs to me.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.