Should I start from first year again at a different university? Watch

yemi123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m currently studying at the the University of Salford and I am about to finish 1st year. Since I’ve been hear I have complained so much about feeling like an outsider and also the trouble I’ve been having making friends. I feel lonely and feel as if I am an ethnic minority because a lot of the people I live with are predominantly white. I know race should not be an issue but for me it is because I feel like everyone looks down upon me because I don’t look like them. I am in a friendship group in my accommodation but I feel like none of the girls genuinely consider me a friend. They don’t make effort with me and they favourite my really good friend literally because they think she’s pretty. I just feel so left out and out of place. I would like to go back to London we’re I am from and start fresh from first year as I’ve already spoke to the university. However they will not allow me to continue into second year. I feel like no one wants to make effort with me and feel so out of place and I don’t feel happy. I feel happy sometimes but most of the times at uni I don’t. I just feel always insecure I feel as if people look at me differently. I’m worried because I feel as if wasted the first year of university and I don’t know if there’s any point. I feel like I have no friends and I have nobody. I just feel lonely. I love my course in uni but the people around me are affecting my happiness I think anyways. I know I didn’t come to uni for friends but I just thought I would make good ones but I have not. I just feel lonely. Any opinions or advice ?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yemi123)
I’m currently studying at the the University of Salford and I am about to finish 1st year. Since I’ve been hear I have complained so much about feeling like an outsider and also the trouble I’ve been having making friends. I feel lonely and feel as if I am an ethnic minority because a lot of the people I live with are predominantly white. I know race should not be an issue but for me it is because I feel like everyone looks down upon me because I don’t look like them. I am in a friendship group in my accommodation but I feel like none of the girls genuinely consider me a friend. They don’t make effort with me and they favourite my really good friend literally because they think she’s pretty. I just feel so left out and out of place. I would like to go back to London we’re I am from and start fresh from first year as I’ve already spoke to the university. However they will not allow me to continue into second year. I feel like no one wants to make effort with me and feel so out of place and I don’t feel happy. I feel happy sometimes but most of the times at uni I don’t. I just feel always insecure I feel as if people look at me differently. I’m worried because I feel as if wasted the first year of university and I don’t know if there’s any point. I feel like I have no friends and I have nobody. I just feel lonely. I love my course in uni but the people around me are affecting my happiness I think anyways. I know I didn’t come to uni for friends but I just thought I would make good ones but I have not. I just feel lonely. Any opinions or advice ?
Its not uncommon for students to ned up being unhappy, homesick and lonely. You have to decide whether you can do another two years or go for a fresh start. Is there any chance of turning it round?

Maybe its the course. maybe you were unlucky. maybe its the uni?

If you can get into a good uni back home then go for a restart imo as sfe allow one false start. Just be smart next time and make sure you do make friends. Maybe check whichever uni it is that they have people of your colour, if thats important. make the decision and go for it.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
This is like me!! I'm from London and I wish I stayed in that city to study instead of moving to a different city where there are more white people than any other race. I'm from an ethnic minority group and I do feel as if people look down on me as well bc I am different and stand out. Maybe they are just uncultured to see different people from a range of ethnicity backgrounds, as they are used to seeing certain races which will be white people. I don't know what else todo either but just put more effort in making friends who will accept me for who I am.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (167)
13.11%
Excited (111)
8.71%
Worried (232)
18.21%
Terrified (298)
23.39%
Meh (102)
8.01%
Confused (32)
2.51%