The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Flat earth debate

Please give scientific evidence for your claims don't just refer to scripture.

Scroll to see replies

Funny how only the earth is flat and no other planets.
The only ways to 100% prove it to somebody who doesn't believe it:

1. go into the physics behind gravity etc. and show that it is physically impossible for a flat earth to exist

2. take that person to space to fly around the earth

both are not gonna happen
be really funny if it actually turned out to be flat
Original post by SpongebobSwag
The only ways to 100% prove it to somebody who doesn't believe it:

1. go into the physics behind gravity etc. and show that it is physically impossible for a flat earth to exist

2. take that person to space to fly around the earth

both are not gonna happen

Wrong.

Cheap space travel is coming in the next decade. They will cost a few thousand pounds/dollars. It would be funny to see the state of the flat earth community in the 2020s.
Original post by thomastaitai
Wrong.

Cheap space travel is coming in the next decade. They will cost a few thousand pounds/dollars. It would be funny to see the state of the flat earth community in the 2020s.

You're probably right. I'm not sure it will come that soon though.

Also: in my head i read 'Wrong' in the voice of Dwight Schrute from The Office.
You're never going to prove a thing to people who are absolutely wedded to their belief, they'll just dismiss your reasoning and 'proof' as sophistry/error/lies/conspiracies/delusion/influence of Satan etc.

2. Shoot them into space and leave them there.

I fixed that for you.
You're probably right. I'm not sure it will come that soon though.

Also: in my head i read 'Wrong' in the voice of Dwight Schrute from The Office.

It will come very soon.

SpaceX is currently building their BFR (a massive fully reusable rocket) and it will be completed in 2020/21. They will fly commercial flights (just like a plane) from city to city. Since it is fully reusable, costs will be cut dramatically, making it available to the masses. P.S. In case you are wondering, yes, it will travel through space.
Original post by Axiomasher
You're never going to prove a thing to people who are absolutely wedded to their belief, they'll just dismiss your reasoning and 'proof' as sophistry/error/lies/conspiracies/delusion/influence of Satan etc.

If the flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist, then how come all planets are shaped like meatballs?

And if all planets are shaped like meatballs, then they can't be shaped like pancakes.

If they aren't shaped like pancakes, then they are not flat... therefore the flying spaghetti monster is real.
Original post by Shshsjakk
Please give scientific evidence for your claims don't just refer to scripture.

Just listen and understand.

Everyday you stand on Blackpool beach on a clear day, you will look across 70miles of sea and see the Isle of Man. That is a scientific fact. It's there. Nobody will dispute this fact. Now if the world were a ball, you would not be able to see the Isle of Man because it would be a kilometer below the horizon because of supposed curvature. Fact. Do the math. Or is maths wrong now as well as science?

Wherever you go on this flat earth and look across a 70 or 80 miles span of water, you will always see the land the other side, whether it's southern Spain to Northern Africa, or across the Great Lakes or wherever. This is all fact.

Now Doonesbury will be along in a few minutes and he's going to tell you that what Drummond is saying is all true, but that what you are always looking at, is always a mirage, a reflection of the Isle of Man from below the horizion. Now when he says this, I want you to say to him - Well how come when I get in a boat to the Isle of Man and keep my eyes fixed on it, land never emerges into the mirage from beneath? Why does the real land always remain in vision, but just get larger as it gets nearer?

There's your science but you just want to be deceived and believe in the make believe. Men have conspired a theory to make you believe in it. That's what a conspiracy theory is. Whose wearing the tinfoil hat now?
Original post by Drummond
...Whose wearing the tinfoil hat now?

drummond.jpg

Still you dude.
You're still an irrelevant meme, no matter what thread. But the earth is flat so *dab*
Original post by johnscarce
you're still an irrelevant meme, no matter what thread. But the earth is flat so *dab*

ha! Goteem
Reply 14
If the earth was flat, as stated, why is the moon, which we can see, round. Why is the sun, which we can see, round? We wouldn’t be the only flat plannet out there?
walk in a straight line and see if you end up where you started thus making a full circle or if you fall of the Earth.

Peace out
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Drummond
Just listen and understand.

Everyday you stand on Blackpool beach on a clear day, you will look across 70miles of sea and see the Isle of Man. That is a scientific fact. It's there. Nobody will dispute this fact. Now if the world were a ball, you would not be able to see the Isle of Man because it would be a kilometer below the horizon because of supposed curvature. Fact. Do the math. Or is maths wrong now as well as science?

Wherever you go on this flat earth and look across a 70 or 80 miles span of water, you will always see the land the other side, whether it's southern Spain to Northern Africa, or across the Great Lakes or wherever. This is all fact.

Now Doonesbury will be along in a few minutes and he's going to tell you that what Drummond is saying is all true, but that what you are always looking at, is always a mirage, a reflection of the Isle of Man from below the horizion. Now when he says this, I want you to say to him - Well how come when I get in a boat to the Isle of Man and keep my eyes fixed on it, land never emerges into the mirage from beneath? Why does the real land always remain in vision, but just get larger as it gets nearer?

There's your science but you just want to be deceived and believe in the make believe. Men have conspired a theory to make you believe in it. That's what a conspiracy theory is. Whose wearing the tinfoil hat now?

Ayyyyyy, big up the Isle of Man.
Reply 17
Original post by shshsjakk
please give scientific evidence for your claims don't just refer to scripture.

omg u making me angry it is flat!!!!!!!
Original post by NonIndigenous
If the flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist, then how come all planets are shaped like meatballs?

And if all planets are shaped like meatballs, then they can't be shaped like pancakes.

If they aren't shaped like pancakes, then they are not flat... therefore the flying spaghetti monster is real.

If animals aren't meant to be eating then how come they are made of meat?
Original post by esrdctfgh
If animals aren't meant to be eating then how come they are made of meat?

If meat isn't meant to be eaten, then how come it has the word "eat" in it?

Latest