Siann98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have 2 weeks (and 2 days) to self-teach myself the whole of employment law and revise company.

I basically ****ed up my employment as it was 60% cw and 40% of the exam but because of the strikes they have changed the weighing the other way.

This is not an excuse, but I had to complete a dissertation and I had to re-do it which has now given me 17 days to self teach myself the whole employment law module.

Is it possible to get 66/67%? If so how do I go about my revision and whats the best method for cramming for uni law modules?

Being in my third year I should have been better prepared and I have not had to rush cram an exam like this through university so I am really unsure as to what is the best method.

I need a minimum of 68% in each module this semester which is why I am so stressed out.
Equitable
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would say yes. 2 weeks is plenty of time although if you are starting from scratch it is just going to require long hours and will get tiring, but I personally think it is do-able.

It also depends on the structure of the exam, personally I think it is easier to revise for problem qs as opposed to essays. If it is a mix of both then try and nail the problem question and that should even out an average essay.

Would be interesting to see what - Notoriety - 999tigger have to say and I am sure they might provide a helpful response if they are free.
username2353215
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think its definitely possible to get 65%+

Employment is about 5 topics

Employment Status
Dismissal
Discrimination
Implied/Express Terms
Covenants

Spend a week on understanding them and then a week on actually revising them and you will be fine. Of course, this is just a method that works for some people and cramming is not effective for all. Some may recommend to exam spot - you can, but the thing is there is only 5 topics and depending on how many questions you have to answer vs how many questions the exam has I dont know.

If you tell me how many questions you must answer (essay/problem qs or both) and how much choice you get, I will see if its worth exam spotting. If you get a choice of 5 questions and only have to answer 2 then yes this might work, but its a very risky method and not one I would use in third year.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Siann98)
I have 2 weeks (and 2 days) to self-teach myself the whole of employment law and revise company.

I basically ****ed up my employment as it was 60% cw and 40% of the exam but because of the strikes they have changed the weighing the other way.

This is not an excuse, but I had to complete a dissertation and I had to re-do it which has now given me 17 days to self teach myself the whole employment law module.

Is it possible to get 66/67%? If so how do I go about my revision and whats the best method for cramming for uni law modules?

Being in my third year I should have been better prepared and I have not had to rush cram an exam like this through university so I am really unsure as to what is the best method.

I need a minimum of 68% in each module this semester which is why I am so stressed out.
The fact they changed the weighting is something you will have been aware of plus other students have to deal with the same. deal with it. Put in a mit circs claim if you feel hard done by.

Not understanding why you had to re-do?

Why do you nee 66/67? Final grade? Is it to get a 2:1 or a first?

Back to the issue. Can you get questions I always think are pretty pointless. What if i say no?

It is all the time you have accept it and move on.
Yes you can get a good mark, but there are no guarantees. What you do know is if you work hard and try your best, then your chances are greater.

How much of the module do you know?

Law express Q&A plus revision book. Learn the material and practice.

For 66-67, then you need to add more i,e revision book alone might not be enough. Imo get a solid grasp and get to 61/62 territory, the practice and start learning the extra bits to score the bonus marks.

Try your best+ make sure you understand the rules, then get on with it.

Equitable
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
Exam spotting is risk management and some people will come a cropper. I would do 5 days just revision , 5 days revision and exam, 5 days exam.
Siann98
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Not understanding why you had to re-do? Why do you nee 66/67? Final grade? Is it to get a 2:1 or a first?
How much of the module do you know?

Law express Q&A plus revision book. Learn the material and practice.

For 66-67, then you need to add more i,e revision book alone might not be enough. Imo get a solid grasp and get to 61/62 territory, the practice and start learning the extra bits to score the bonus marks.
I had to re-do 1/3 because of "technical difficulties" - basically I lost my numerical research data due to my supervisors incompetence.

It is to get a 2:1 and I know pretty much nothing except a few basics.

I have always struggled with problem questions - I seem to get stuck in the 58/62 bracket. What sorts of things do you need to include within a problem question to get the higher marks? From your opinion..
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
I had to re-do 1/3 because of "technical difficulties" - basically I lost my numerical research data due to my supervisors incompetence.

It is to get a 2:1 and I know pretty much nothing except a few basics.

I have always struggled with problem questions - I seem to get stuck in the 58/62 bracket. What sorts of things do you need to include within a problem question to get the higher marks? From your opinion..
Then put a mit circs claim in.

be surwe to understand the grade calculation rules correctly and check you cant discount certain modules.

Beyond that you have to get on with it and not beat yourself up about the grade you need.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
FT8 is right. Employment is a fairly basic topic and it should be quite easy to teach yourself all the content. I have certainly learnt a lot more complex subjects in a shorter period of time. Revise smartly, go from first principles and simplicity, and add the complexity from there. But back to my initial point, employment is really quite simple.

Defer to tigger for the rest.
Siann98
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Then put a mit circs claim in.

be surwe to understand the grade calculation rules correctly and check you cant discount certain modules.

Beyond that you have to get on with it and not beat yourself up about the grade you need.
It got rejected. I have tried but my second year is worth 50% (40% if you go abroad) and 50% third year. I cut myself short in second year and I am paying the price. I am trying to just suck it up tbh, I just wanted to see from peoples past experience if it was possible and how to guide my revision.

(Original post by Notoriety)
FT8 is right. Employment is a fairly basic topic and it should be quite easy to teach yourself all the content. I have certainly learnt a lot more complex subjects in a shorter period of time. Revise smartly, go from first principles and simplicity, and add the complexity from there. But back to my initial point, employment is really quite simple.

Defer to tigger for the rest.
Its funny because my module is literally all of the 5 topics listed. How do you recommend I structure my revision ?
Siann98
Rep:
?
(Original post by TSRFT8)
I think its definitely possible to get 65%+

Employment is about 5 topics

Employment Status
Dismissal
Discrimination
Implied/Express Terms
Covenants

Spend a week on understanding them and then a week on actually revising them and you will be fine. Of course, this is just a method that works for some people and cramming is not effective for all. Some may recommend to exam spot - you can, but the thing is there is only 5 topics and depending on how many questions you have to answer vs how many questions the exam has I dont know.

If you tell me how many questions you must answer (essay/problem qs or both) and how much choice you get, I will see if its worth exam spotting. If you get a choice of 5 questions and only have to answer 2 then yes this might work, but its a very risky method and not one I would use in third year.
Hey Thanks! Those are the same sub-topics I need to learn from my exam... How did you revise them ?
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
It got rejected. I have tried but my second year is worth 50% (40% if you go abroad) and 50% third year. I cut myself short in second year and I am paying the price. I am trying to just suck it up tbh, I just wanted to see from peoples past experience if it was possible and how to guide my revision.

Its funny because my module is literally all of the 5 topics listed. How do you recommend I structure my revision ?
MY point is just alter your mindset.

It is possible and if you work really hard then you are much more likely to make it happen. You dont have time for doubt.

Deal with the rest after. definitely get both law express books unless your notes are v good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise