EXTRA PAPER IN EXAMS= better grade??

Watch this thread
Cat476
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I don't know if this is common knowledge but at GCSE and Alevel (that I know of), if you run out of space to write your answer and ask for extra paper, it automatically gets sent to the head examiner to mark.

My teachers have always said this might be an advantage or disadvantage- depending on whether the head examiner is more knowledgable (if in doubt, I'd guess a normal examiner wouldn't give you the marks) or if they're more strict with marking.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience and got a better/worse grade than they were expecting after using extra paper. It happened to me for GCSE geography- I messed up an 8marker and used all the space so crossed it all out and rewrote my answer on a spare answer booklet they give you. Got an A* for that particular exam and didn't feel particularly confident with it at all so I can only assume that by my paper being marked by the head examiner that it was a blessing in disguise.

This of course tempts me to write a longer than necessary answer for one of my questions in hope for a similar outcome but am scared I'd get a really strict examiner. And before somebody points it out, of course I know that my knowledge will be what earns my grade but if it's the difference of a few marks to get into the next grade boundary and uni of choice, then I'm going to try and get them.

999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cat476)
I don't know if this is common knowledge but at GCSE and Alevel (that I know of), if you run out of space to write your answer and ask for extra paper, it automatically gets sent to the head examiner to mark.

My teachers have always said this might be an advantage or disadvantage- depending on whether the head examiner is more knowledgable (if in doubt, I'd guess a normal examiner wouldn't give you the marks) or if they're more strict with marking.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience and got a better/worse grade than they were expecting after using extra paper. It happened to me for GCSE geography- I messed up an 8marker and used all the space so crossed it all out and rewrote my answer on a spare answer booklet they give you. Got an A* for that particular exam and didn't feel particularly confident with it at all so I can only assume that by my paper being marked by the head examiner that it was a blessing in disguise.

This of course tempts me to write a longer than necessary answer for one of my questions in hope for a similar outcome but am scared I'd get a really strict examiner. And before somebody points it out, of course I know that my knowledge will be what earns my grade but if it's the difference of a few marks to get into the next grade boundary and uni of choice, then I'm going to try and get them.

Write to time and use all of it.

Practice essays under time conditions and you know how much you can manage, then match your essay plan to suit.

Some people write smaller and more condensed than other so dont let extra paper fool you. Go reasonably fast and see how far you get. Focus on completing your essay plan and all your essays in the time available and worry less about extra paper. Doesnt matter as long as you have covered the points in enough detail.

Dont leave early and use spare time to check, but pace your exam output so you finish c 5 mins before the end.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Is this true? Seems a bit arcane. There is also no guarantee that a head examiner will be better/more lenient/anything else with the marking, so it seems doubly weird. I've never wrote more than 3 pages in an exam in my life, I don't think.
Cat476
Rep:
(Original post by gjd800)
Is this true? Seems a bit arcane. There is also no guarantee that a head examiner will be better/more lenient/anything else with the marking, so it seems doubly weird. I've never wrote more than 3 pages in an exam in my life, I don't think.
It is true that the paper goes to the head examiner, yes- or so multiple teachers have told me.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It is true that the paper goes to the head examiner, yes- or so multiple teachers have told me.
Mad. I'd be interested to know the rationale for that. Strikes me as odd.
Cat476
Rep:
(Original post by gjd800)
Mad. I'd be interested to know the rationale for that. Strikes me as odd.
I know- not sure if that just goes for the AQA exam board thought. And I think the reasoning is that if an answer is very long or if somebody has bad handwriting that's difficult to distinguish, I've heard this also goes to the head examiner, that they're more qualified to mark it. Or I guess teacher examiners cba reading loss answers..
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
Think the head examiner thing is urban myth. reality check was an examiner, but he rarely posts now.

You dont get a prize for extra paper.

Do put your name, candidate id, centre and which question it is.
Also mark on your booklet at the bottom [Cont on extra booklet #1] just so they are expecting it.

When I hit extra paper I like it because it told me id written something, but quality over quantity. Practice and you know when you are writing hard.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I know- not sure if that just goes for the AQA exam board thought. And I think the reasoning is that if an answer is very long or if somebody has bad handwriting that's difficult to distinguish, I've heard this also goes to the head examiner, that they're more qualified to mark it. Or I guess teacher examiners cba reading loss answers..
Maybe, I have no experience of marking at that level so couldn't really speculate. We just do what we are given, long, short, legible or not at degree level :laugh:
Cat476
Rep:
(Original post by 999tigger)
Think the head examiner thing is urban myth. reality check was an examiner, but he rarely posts now.

You dont get a prize for extra paper.

Do put your name, candidate id, centre and which question it is.
Also mark on your booklet at the bottom [Cont on extra booklet #1] just so they are expecting it.

When I hit extra paper I like it because it told me id written something, but quality over quantity. Practice and you know when you are writing hard.
I'm surprised that my teachers have told us that then, especially my psychology teacher who has marked herself. And yeah I wouldn't usually go out of my way to use extra paper but like I said in my geog GCSE I messed up on an 8 mark question so completely rewrote it on spare paper and came out of that exam with an exceptionally better mark than expecting
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
I'm surprised that my teachers have told us that then, especially my psychology teacher who has marked herself. And yeah I wouldn't usually go out of my way to use extra paper but like I said in my geog GCSE I messed up on an 8 mark question so completely rewrote it on spare paper and came out of that exam with an exceptionally better mark than expecting
It shouldnt be the focus. What if I write 5 words a line and then leave a blank page between each question b someone who writes 15 words a line.

I used to use extra paper as a bit of an incentive, but its not needed. I did feel more comfortable if i had filled the book though.

I would feel awkward if I only half filled it.

Focus on doing your best and writing to time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
20.72%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.81%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
7.21%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (19)
17.12%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (26)
23.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
20.72%

Watched Threads