This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there,

I am due to be starting Sertraline 50mg tomorrow for panic attacks and health anxiety. However, due to my health anxiety I am absolutely petrified of the side effects (especially the dizziness as it's a huge trigger for my panic attacks). I understand that everyone's experience is different, but was just wondering if anyone else could share their experience of this drug and its side effects?

Many thanks.
fxlloutboyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
weird dreams was the only side effect for me
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
I take it and it has literally no effect on me. No benefits, no side effects either. It's as if I'm not even taking medication. It might help you but I haven't found any side effects from it
Pete_M21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’ve never used it but my ex used to take it and she had some trouble with tiredness, headaches and aching. The side affects started to wear off after a few weeks though and she started feeling a lot better
Daveboi115
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
Awful. Why are the doctors still prescribing antidepressants for anxiety? Find a better doctor who will prescribe you benzodiazepines to take as needed.
SSRI’s have a long understood and well researched efficacy amongst anxiety disorders as well as OCD/GAD/Social Phobias. Not just clinical depression with or without associated anxiety.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 years ago
Having used it myself , i found it worked. I was on 25mg, and i personally didn't notice many side effects. Apparently it's one of the ones with the fewer side effects. I found myself to be more relaxed and it took the edge of things. It's been effective for other members of my family who were put on it. I ended up discontinuing it once i was well on the way to recovery.
Amyaintlamey
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Heya, so I've been on sertraline for a while now. I started off with 50mg and then as I've been getting better I've been taking half-pills (25mg).

You shouldn't experience too much dizzyness as long as you always eat before/with taking the pill. I felt a bit funny for the first day on it but since then I've been fine! (So maybe start taking it on a day when you're not busy).

The primary other side effect I've experienced is some trouble orgasming unfortunately I'm a girl so I've just dealt with this by incorporating a vibrator into sex. Taking half pills has also helped but ofc go with your doctors recommended dosage.

When I first started taking the pills I thought they were making me have trouble sleeping, but turns out that was just the excessive amount of caffeine I was drinking and my crap sleeping pattern.

Good luck!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I found I had no side effects (or effects :/ ) on sertraline personally - at least none so severe as for me to specifically notice them; I may have had some dizziness, I don't honestly recall though...Just be cognizant of the possibility, without obsessing over it (which may both be a demonstration of and [further] trigger for your anxiety), take reasonable steps to minimise any major attacks if possible and contact your GP if necessary. The usual, basically.

Also be aware, as somewhat indicated above, sometimes the side effects (if any) are worse in the "initial" take up period and diminish once you've "settled into" the course of medication. If you "stay the course" it may well improve - provided you are able to do so safely with the GPs recommendation, I'd suggest trying to stick it out to the two month mark, as by then you should usually be well set with it, on a physiological side at least (as I understand anyway, I am neither a medical professional or bisocientist ).

Obviously if side effects are persistent and/or debilitating either before or after this period, talk to your GP about it; they might switch you to something else or reduce your dosage (I had this when I was taking citalopram, which was effective before I went back to uni and then I had increase the dosage, and THEN I started getting side effects - terrible heartburn and stomach issues - which meant I had to switch because it was worse than not taking it...)

(Original post by Ciel.)
Awful. Why are the doctors still prescribing antidepressants for anxiety? Find a better doctor who will prescribe you benzodiazepines to take as needed.
If you're not a qualified physician, you are in no position to advise which medicines someone should or should not be taking, beyond general observations of your own personal experiences. If you are, then it seems extremely questionable to offer advice over the internet to a patient you have not met or conducted any examinations nor discussions with and whose records you have not reviewed. Is doing so covered by your malpractice insurance?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
Calm down and re-read my post. I am telling them to find a better doctor because the one they're with now clearly knows nothing about anxiety.
Do you have a medical degree and foundation training that provides the same basic conceptual and practical framework to evaluate patients with anxiety as any other physician, allowing you thus to critically evaluate the other physicians quality of care?

Are you one of the unnamed physician's patients who has a direct experience of their care and has concerns based in reality and not skim reading the wikipedia article on anxiety, allowing you to critically evaluate their quality of care?

If not, your comment is not only irrelevant but potentially harmful to either the OP or someone else's health by undermining their relationship with the GP and encouraging them to ask for prescription drugs that have a real chance of generating dependence and addictive behaviours. Needless to say asking for said drugs would also likely send off red flags for other GPs and make them believe they are a drug addict looking for a source, rather than someone with a valid health concern seeking treatment - which may prevent them from receiving proper care for their actual health condition(s).
Daveboi115
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
They don't work for anxiety.
Codswollop. Any data to back yourself up?
Bluebells602003
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dry mouth - only thing!
Daveboi115
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
Google antidepressants and placebo. They rarely work. Benzodiazepines work 100% of the time.
So no then, no evidence. No drug in the history of modern medicine has ever had a 100% efficacy. Placebo is an understood phenomenon amongst many classes of drugs not just antidepressants.
dandiprat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Uhm, I mean, I was on Sertraline but it stopped me being able to pee. I haven't heard anyone else suffering with that side effect, so I assume it was just a wild response? I have also been on a few other SSRIs for anxiety and none of them worked, either causing suicidal thoughts, not working at all or exaggerating my condition.

I have recently been moved to Citalopram, however, and it seems to be working well so far. I have also come across only positive feedback for this specific medication since I have started and searched around for info on it... So, if Sertraline doesn't work, perhaps ask about Citalopram if you haven't had it before?

Also, at people who are talking about benzodiazepines, I understand they work really well (especially for panic attacks, which I suffer from) but they have a limit due to the addictive nature of them. SSRIs are the next best move, and if you are still receiving prescriptions for benzodiazepines I am worried as to why? Especially since my GP has been so strict with my limit on them.
Daveboi115
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok I’ll make this simple for you. No drug had 100% efficacy, I’m not talking about efficiency that’s not a usable metric. There will always be anomalous results. Secondly, antidepressants involve three different classes of drug, each with varying MOAs and each with varying efficacy.

Here’s some literature for you, showing that benzodiazepines don’t have 100% efficacy.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18671662/

And here’s some more showing some pretty good evidence for antidepressant use in anxiety.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21309117/

Here’s another, comparing antidepressants to benzodiazepines in anxiety disorders. Which is if would like the TL;DR version. Shows a clear, almost equal ability for both classes to treat anxiety.

https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/353198

Now if you’d like to refute these points, please bring evidence. Otherwise I’ll not be arguing with non-significant anecdotal premises.
Daveboi115
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
The studies you posted are in no way relevant to what I said. I am saying that they work 100% of the time for the symptoms of your anxiety, not that they will cure your mental health problem because no medicine can do that.
What about this is going over your head? The studies clearly show that benzos don’t work 100% of the time for anxiety. There’s no such thing as 100% in the scientific industry. Not only that but they clearly state that antidepressants are also perfectly viable options. It’s completely relevant to what you said.
Daveboi115
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
They do work 100% at the right dose. Even if a small dose doesn't work for your mental symptoms, a big enough dose will knock you out. It's a fact.
I’m afraid they simply don’t and unless you provide me with evidence to the contrary I’m done here.
Daveboi115
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
You are delusional. Ask any doctor.
So no evidence then? Ok cool.
Daveboi115
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You mean a psychiatric ward where patients will commonly be prescribed an array of either benzos and antidepressants because the evidence suggest both are very viable treatment options? Quit palming it off. Medicine is an evidence based practice and you can provide no evidence to the contrary. If you’d bother to even read the abstracts to those research articles I’d posted, you’d clearly be able to see what I’m saying but instead you feel you know better for whatever reason you assume your knowledge to be greater than that of medical researchers.
jkz76
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I take 200mg a day for anxiety and it works for me. The only side effect I had was tiredness when I first started but that was nothing compared to things my doctor previously prescribed.
It takes a little while to notice a difference, around three weeks for me. I honestly wouldn't be functioning right now if I wasn't on this medication.

It's important to be transparent with your doctor about any possible side effects, no matter how insignificant you may find it. It's worth checking out these links for more information: https://beta.nhs.uk/medicines/sertraline/ and http://chealth.canoe.com/drug/getdrug/sertraline
Maid Marian
Report 2 years ago
I find it causes trembling and loose stools (woohoo), but they tend to ease off once you've been taking it a while. The second time I started on Sertraline, I woke up wretching and dizzy the first night I took it. But I've not had that since.

Overall, the worst side effect for me is the FATIGUE. All the SSRIs I've taken have caused extreme tiredness for me, which is nearly as debilitating as the anxiety. :lol: You can get solid 10-12 hours sleep every night, but you always feel like you haven't slept in days.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (61)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (98)
27.76%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (135)
38.24%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.6%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.12%

Watched Threads