Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive tried different methods of revision and simply reading through text books and examiner’s notes seems to work the best for me. Why do people tell me that this isn’t good revision?

ReputationRep:
    Because it doesn't practice recalling the information. So for most people it goes in one eye and out the other

ReputationRep:
    Some people read passively and so don't take it in.

The only 'revision' that I have ever done has involved reading something related to the exam I'm about to take, too. Worked for me all my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScriptedBacon)
    Ive tried different methods of revision and simply reading through text books and examiner’s notes seems to work the best for me. Why do people tell me that this isn’t good revision?
    I did the same for my GCSEs. I absolutely hate writing notes as I get too obsessed over them and end up throwing them away if something's not perfect or if I've missed the smallest detail out and flashcards have never worked for me.

Do what you think's best

ReputationRep:
    maybe thare wrong.......?

ReputationRep:
    i can confirm reading is the best revision, at least for biology and economics. i got extremely high grades with just reading and nothing else really.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Some people say it's strictly 'passive'.

For my GCSEs, all I did was read the revision guide + do papers without making any notes.

For A-Level, I had to write notes alongside reading the revision guide (I didn't write the notes for future reading. The physical movement of the pen just helped me to go slower and digest the information I was reading)

ReputationRep:
    Depends what sort of leaner you are. I'm a kinetic learner, meaning I learn/ revise by doing things (I write things down on flashcards, mindmaps, etc...) I like colour, and things to be neat and individual because if I make things then I feel accomplished because they're mine, and that motivates me. That's how I see it😂 like before I was making flashcards for my french speaking and I was just loving life ahaha, maybe reading is like that for you ) good luck!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    This blog is pretty good at explaining why recall is important for learning rather than just reading: https://senecalearning.com/blog/revision-tips/

ReputationRep:
    Varies from person to person, as do most things concerning revision.

I take a fair bit in while reading but of course, you should still practice.

When they give you such blunt advice it's usually because it applies to most people.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.