RHMNeilly
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there,
I’ve never done anything like this before but i need a bit of advice.
I’m currently in year 11 (N.I.) and i have to choose my a-levels at the start of next year. I know it’s a bit off but i’m thinking of it now as we’ll have to choose our a-levels a few weeks after the mocks next january and we only get a week to choose them so i thought why not start thinking about it.
I’m half decent at french, german, english, history and geography and i’m planning to have a career in the travel and tourism industry. At the minute i’m currently thinking of being a member of an airline cabin crew or a tour guide which don’t require a-levels but i think it might be wise to do them anyway especially if i change my mind on my career option, most others require a levels if not uni degrees. If i did change career though, it would still be based around the same subjects that i’d be looking at career options for. Also i’m still unsure as to whether i should go to uni or not; my parents think its a good idea but i’m not to sure what to do.
I’m asking your opinion, especially if you have been thinking along the same lines as me and are planning to do/ have done a levels and gone on to do work in travel and tourism as to what subjects would be the most valuable for me to pick.
Thanks,
Rachel.
RHMNeilly
Rep:
?
Also i have been considering doing a BTEC level three in travel and tourism itself but our school doesn’t offer it but some other locals schools offer it as an option at a level... i don’t know as to whether that would be a wise option either to do it at all, equire as to whether i could do it at another school whilst doing my other subjects at my current school (my school does other collab subjects with a local other school) or whether to move schools altogether!
In saying that, i wouldn’t want to do that and then change path altogether or do it if there’s no need to do it...
Kirby...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It seems to me that you might still be unsure on what you might want to do when you're older. I would suggest that you pick at least 1, preferably 2 facilitating subjects. Subjects like: maths, further maths, English literature, history, geography, biology, chemistry, physics and foreign languages are considered harder subjects that universities really like. Doing these will allow you to achieve your desired career while also giving you a backup plan if you ever change your mind.
RHMNeilly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kirby...)
It seems to me that you might still be unsure on what you might want to do when you're older. I would suggest that you pick at least 1, preferably 2 facilitating subjects. Subjects like: maths, further maths, English literature, history, geography, biology, chemistry, physics and foreign languages are considered harder subjects that universities really like. Doing these will allow you to achieve your desired career while also giving you a backup plan if you ever change your mind.
Yeah i know i’m not 100% sure what i want to do but i’m strongly considering doing english literature as i love reading and get good marks in it, and then i can’t decide as to whether to do history, geography or french as again i get a lot of enjoyment out of them and am reasonably good at them. I know that we can choose four, but i wasn’t too sure as to whether to choose a fourth or not as i thought i may be overkill on the work front considering the type of subjects i’m considering as well as if i do four, i personally think it would be too much for me but at the same time, if i do decide to go to uni, would it look better if i had a fourth. Also if i just focus on three and do well rather than do four and do badly in them, would that look better overall?
Kirby...
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RHMNeilly)
Yeah i know i’m not 100% sure what i want to do but i’m strongly considering doing english literature as i love reading and get good marks in it, and then i can’t decide as to whether to do history, geography or french as again i get a lot of enjoyment out of them and am reasonably good at them. I know that we can choose four, but i wasn’t too sure as to whether to choose a fourth or not as i thought i may be overkill on the work front considering the type of subjects i’m considering as well as if i do four, i personally think it would be too much for me but at the same time, if i do decide to go to uni, would it look better if i had a fourth. Also if i just focus on three and do well rather than do four and do badly in them, would that look better overall?
It's absolutely fine to do 3 subjects even now the whole process is changing where only a few will do 4 or more subjects (by choice) due to it not being completely necessary for universities.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
all your subjects would be fine. English Literature is very popular and really highly thought of. Having a foreign language would be useful in the lines you are looking at. Have you researched what airlines require for cabin crew. They may have things like minium height restrictions. Certainly having someone able to converse in different languages would seem useful in that line.
RHMNeilly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kirby...)
It's absolutely fine to do 3 subjects even now the whole process is changing where only a few will do 4 or more subjects (by choice) due to it not being completely necessary for universities.
That’s good to know... thanks
RHMNeilly
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
all your subjects would be fine. English Literature is very popular and really highly thought of. Having a foreign language would be useful in the lines you are looking at. Have you researched what airlines require for cabin crew. They may have things like minium height restrictions. Certainly having someone able to converse in different languages would seem useful in that line.
Airlines only require you to have a GCSE grade C in maths and english and to be able to swim a maximum of 50m in clothes which i can do. I definitely agree that eglish literature and a modern language would be useful as there would be passengers from all parts of the world speaking different languages and it would be helpful if i could speak to them in their own or a language we’d have in common very competantly. Most of the companies also require you to be at least 18 years old (some wat you to be at least 21) which won’t be a problem in a few years time. Also re the height requirement’s i’m well in the range of height and would need to have a MAJOR growth spurt in the next few years to be ‘too tall’ for them to employ me. Although you don’t need a-levels to do the job, i thought it would look good if i did them as i couldn’t join until the age of 18 anyway! Would there be anything in that line of work that you would recommend for me to consider that i haven’t though of already? Thanks for the advice and will take everything you have said on board (pardon the pun).
Lucy-01
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you’re looking at travel and tourism, maybe geography and a foreign language would be helpful? I don’t really know anything about it though.
RHMNeilly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucy-16)
If you’re looking at travel and tourism, maybe geography and a foreign language would be helpful? I don’t really know anything about it though.
Thanks for your input and i’ll use it and it will help me though
K_Low
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey Rachel,

First of all breathe. Nothing is final, if you pick a subject and you hate it. the majority of the time (if not all) your lecturers will let you swap, i did after 6 weeks - maybe don't wait that long though . I may be bias but ENGLISH LIT is amazing, for anything. It helps you write academically and is well fantastic. But if it's not 100% your thing try going to open days and freshers weeks in the summer holidays, they can be a great help. Also remember although secondary schools make it out to be A-levels aren't the ONLY option, it's not. A lot off colleges actually do travel and tourism (if that's really what you want to do). Try ringing the colleges you are interested in and inquiring, they are there to help, it might seem scary but they are really nice.

Most of the time you don't know whether A levels are your thing until you try them, remember what i said, nothing is final... parents and teachers want you to make a decision RIGHT NOW even though your only what 15/16; although they are doing it out of love it can overwhelming. And please don't worry about University, think about it just don't stress. Colleges and Sixth forms are incredibly helpful and provide you with all the help you need. I'm in AS going into A level, so i'm still new to the whole thing but i know a little so if you need anymore help, just ask. -K
RHMNeilly
Rep:
?
(Original post by K_Low)
Hey Rachel,

First of all breathe. Nothing is final, if you pick a subject and you hate it. the majority of the time (if not all) your lecturers will let you swap, i did after 6 weeks - maybe don't wait that long though . I may be bias but ENGLISH LIT is amazing, for anything. It helps you write academically and is well fantastic. But if it's not 100% your thing try going to open days and freshers weeks in the summer holidays, they can be a great help. Also remember although secondary schools make it out to be A-levels aren't the ONLY option, it's not. A lot off colleges actually do travel and tourism (if that's really what you want to do). Try ringing the colleges you are interested in and inquiring, they are there to help, it might seem scary but they are really nice.

Most of the time you don't know whether A levels are your thing until you try them, remember what i said, nothing is final... parents and teachers want you to make a decision RIGHT NOW even though your only what 15/16; although they are doing it out of love it can overwhelming. And please don't worry about University, think about it just don't stress. Colleges and Sixth forms are incredibly helpful and provide you with all the help you need. I'm in AS going into A level, so i'm still new to the whole thing but i know a little so if you need anymore help, just ask. -K
First of all thank you for calming me down . Secondly english lit does sounds amazing, i love to read all types of stuff and am doing very well in it also so that seems like a no-brainer to me. Honestly i‘m thinking of doing A-levels and just going straight into air cabin crew training and on to that job after that although my parents are ‘advicing’ (more or less forcing) me to stay on for a-levels and go to uni because they say i’m smart enough to do so but after the work involved in GCSE’s i’m not sure if i could cope with A-levels let alone Uni. I think A levels will look good on the CV and i can’t start training for ACC until i’m 18 anyway so i’m thinking of doing A-Levels, having a part-time job in a shop and then going on to the training. I’ve cut german out mentally as an option for a-levels as the grammar gets me lost every time and i tend to take hours longer to do stuff especially grammar -related ie everything than the rest of my class which would be personally too much stress. I think i’ve established that i definitely want to do english lit and either history, geography, french and am still debating whether to ask about the travel and tourism BTEC as my fourth option. I understand how going to college can help solve that problem but i don’t think it’s the right option for me but then again, you never know until you try .
Thank you so much for the useful advice and it has helped me a lot .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (100)
5.14%
Uncertainty around my education (291)
14.95%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (205)
10.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (272)
13.97%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (85)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (111)
5.7%
Loneliness (170)
8.73%
Financial worries (69)
3.54%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.42%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.55%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (172)
8.83%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (186)
9.55%

Watched Threads