Anybody done private peaceful as a critical essay
Please show me
I’m so bad at essays, I got 11/20
A_Long_Way_To_Go
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not doing Private Peacefull - but I've read the book so I could possibly help you with the essay - what are you struggling with?
myst451
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
oh dear not english
Momo04
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by A_Long_Way_To_Go)
I'm not doing Private Peacefull - but I've read the book so I could possibly help you with the essay - what are you struggling with?
When I do a question from past papers, for instance 2016 one, I don’t know what to write in my main body paragraphs
A_Long_Way_To_Go
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Momo04)
When I do a question from past papers, for instance 2016 one, I don’t know what to write in my main body paragraphs
Okay, so, basically, the key thing you want to do in your main body paragraphs is answer the essay question and give evidence to support your answer (if you can do just these two things you will get a good mark).

So if the essay question was asking you about character development, you would write an introduction giving a brief description of the plot and the role of characters in the book. For example:

"Private Peaceful is a story about... It contains powerful and well-developed characters that are used to convey the writer's messages about war and loss to the reader.... The use of character to convey the author's opinions is often accompanied by literary devices such as metaphors, similes..."

The key thing to do in introductions is to lay out the points you will make later on - in the example above it does that in saying that you will discuss the role of characters in relation to what the author wants to tell the reader (the literary devices part just help give you more to analyse and sometimes answers a second part of the question). This helps you guide your main body paragraphs towards answering the question.

Okay, so once you've laid out the general line of argument you are making - it's time to start on the main body paragraphs which will all more or less have the same structure:

1. Context around quote
2. Quote
3. Analysis of quote (Similies, metaphors, personification....)
4. Link back to the question and answer it

So an example:
"1. One area in the novel where the author's use of character is particularly clear is when... at which point Private Peacefull states:
2. *Quote*
3. Here the author uses the personification of.... this creates a vivid image of...
4. By doing this the reader sympathises with the character, giving them a valuable insight into the reality of war...."

So you can then just repeat this structure throughout the essay with a different quote each time and ensure you answer the question.

That's it really, so I hope this helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask! Good Luck!
Momo04
Rep:
?

Okay, so, basically, the key thing you want to do in your main body paragraphs is answer the essay question and give evidence to support your answer (if you can do just these two things you will get a good mark).

So if the essay question was asking you about character development, you would write an introduction giving a brief description of the plot and the role of characters in the book. For example:

"Private Peaceful is a story about... It contains powerful and well-developed characters that are used to convey the writer's messages about war and loss to the reader.... The use of character to convey the author's opinions is often accompanied by literary devices such as metaphors, similes..."

The key thing to do in introductions is to lay out the points you will make later on - in the example above it does that in saying that you will discuss the role of characters in relation to what the author wants to tell the reader (the literary devices part just help give you more to analyse and sometimes answers a second part of the question). This helps you guide your main body paragraphs towards answering the question.

Okay, so once you've laid out the general line of argument you are making - it's time to start on the main body paragraphs which will all more or less have the same structure:

1. Context around quote
2. Quote
3. Analysis of quote (Similies, metaphors, personification....)
4. Link back to the question and answer it

So an example:
"1. One area in the novel where the author's use of character is particularly clear is when... at which point Private Peacefull states:
2. *Quote*
3. Here the author uses the personification of.... this creates a vivid image of...
4. By doing this the reader sympathises with the character, giving them a valuable insight into the reality of war...."

So you can then just repeat this structure throughout the essay with a different quote each time and ensure you answer the question.

That's it really, so I hope this helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask! Good Luck!
thank you so much
Are you an English teacher ?
A_Long_Way_To_Go
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
thank you so much
Are you an English teacher ?
Haha - No, I'm just an S4 sitting N5 English!
Momo04
Rep:
?
Haha - No, I'm just an S4 sitting N5 English!
Haha
I’m also in S4, you’re really smart
What book and set text are you doing ?
A_Long_Way_To_Go
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For my essay, I'm doing Macbeth and for Scottish Text (Set Text), I'm doing Edwin Morgan. What about you, what are you doing apart from Private Peaceful?
Momo04
Rep:
?
For set text I’m doing sailmaker
Momo04
Rep:
?
For my essay, I'm doing Macbeth and for Scottish Text (Set Text), I'm doing Edwin Morgan. What about you, what are you doing apart from Private Peaceful?
How do you find close reading ?
A_Long_Way_To_Go
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm normally fine for close reading, as long as I've had time to revise answer structures and all those annoyingly overly complex close reading terms... Anyway, how about you? (Also, if you've just sat the N5 Maths exam, how did that go?)
Momo04
Rep:
?
I'm normally fine for close reading, as long as I've had time to revise answer structures and all those annoyingly overly complex close reading terms... Anyway, how about you? (Also, if you've just sat the N5 Maths exam, how did that go?)
I’m quite poor at close reading, my score is normally 15
I did the maths exam it was a little hard for me, especially bearings and similar shapes
How did you find it ?
A_Long_Way_To_Go
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m quite poor at close reading, my score is normally 15
I did the maths exam it was a little hard for me, especially bearings and similar shapes
How did you find it ?
I was happy when I walked out the exam hall - but looking over the answers some people put online is a painful experience..... (There are two or three questions I 100% knew how to do but I still messed them up.....)
Momo04
Rep:
?
I was happy when I walked out the exam hall - but looking over the answers some people put online is a painful experience..... (There are two or three questions I 100% knew how to do but I still messed them up.....)
What did you do for the pop corn question ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (602)
33.86%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (743)
41.79%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (353)
19.85%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.5%

Watched Threads