This discussion is closed.
Unknown-99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi so I've just had a mechanics exam and one of the questions asked to calculate the coefficient of restitution. I calculated it and got -0.85 but in the multiple choice there was an answer for -0.85 and an answer for +0.85. I've never seen the coefficient be negative in any questions I've done before so I'm doubting my answer now. Could someone clear this up please?
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Unknown-99)
Hi so I've just had a mechanics exam and one of the questions asked to calculate the coefficient of restitution. I calculated it and got -0.85 but in the multiple choice there was an answer for -0.85 and an answer for +0.85. I've never seen the coefficient be negative in any questions I've done before so I'm doubting my answer now. Could someone clear this up please?
Apparently not

http://www.a-levelphysicstutor.com/m...-coeffrest.php
Unknown-99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Ffs. There's never been a question where the answer has come out negative before and I'm 100% sure I did the calculation right I've triple checked it. I hate looking over the exam paper after the exam and realising I dropped 4/5 easy marks it's so annoying! Anyway, thanks for your help.
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Unknown-99)
Ffs. There's never been a question where the answer has come out negative before and I'm 100% sure I did the calculation right I've triple checked it. I hate looking over the exam paper after the exam and realising I dropped 4/5 easy marks it's so annoying! Anyway, thanks for your help.
No worries, remember your performances average out and you'll be fine.
VishnuRavi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
there is case where the coefficient of restitution is negative.There is also a case where it is greater than 1. Suppose you consider a collision where one object hits another and completely passes through and comes out of that object, this is when coefficient of restitutuion is negative. you can calculate and check. The case when coefficient of restitution is >1 is when a explosion occurs
rohitkosuru
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah, so the thing is that 'e' (or coefficient of restituition) can never be negative. The range of 'e' is only from 0 to 1 depending upon the type of collision that takes place. If it's a perfectly elastic, e = 1 and if it's perfectly inelastic, e=0. All the other values vary differently because the type of collision it undergoes is more or less close to such collisions.Hope I could help.Cheers mate.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rohitkosuru)
Yeah, so the thing is that 'e' (or coefficient of restituition) can never be negative. The range of 'e' is only from 0 to 1 depending upon the type of collision that takes place. If it's a perfectly elastic, e = 1 and if it's perfectly inelastic, e=0. All the other values vary differently because the type of collision it undergoes is more or less close to such collisions.Hope I could help.Cheers mate.
They've probably solved it now, but feel free to help out in any more recent threads.

I'm closing this one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last edited by Doones; 2 years ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (12)
50%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (3)
12.5%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (3)
12.5%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
4.17%
I haven't started researching yet (2)
8.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
12.5%

Watched Threads