The Student Room Group

Chester law 2018..... have i made a mistake.

Hi all.

I accepted my offer for university of Chester studying Law with Criminology. I was lucky to get 5 unconditional offers (i did access to Psychology and Criminology) however i had a year of education due to family circumstances.

I made Chester my firm, its quite local to me and i like year 5 and 6 modules (not keen on 4)

I havent had the experience of studying Law as an A level so not sure whether i have thrown myself in the deep end too soon, has anyone done this and survived first year? Law is a subject that really interests me however I am not wondering whether i should of done Psychology and Criminology and saved myself a fail. Im not the smartest person and do pick things up easily however I've read some stories of people not even making it through first year!!!

Anyone got an confidence boosting advise Haaa
Studying law prior to a degree isn't an issue, from what I've gathered. If anything, it seems to work against a lot of students because they go into their first year overconfident in their (limited) abilities.

What are you wanting to get out of your degree, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 2
i'm an international student so i didn't take A levels (and i'm seriously procrastinating my 2nd year revision) but i know first year was hard for almost everyone; it's a steep learning curve because you have to go from describing information to arguing and having a point. if you can read over summer break i think it'll help.

i know you chose Chester because of the location, but imho it's better to choose the school based on it's reputation, ranking and quality of teaching. law is highly competitive, i can't stress that enough. so any advantage you can get will help you in the long run.
Original post by AndrewMarkSP
Studying law prior to a degree isn't an issue, from what I've gathered. If anything, it seems to work against a lot of students because they go into their first year overconfident in their (limited) abilities.

What are you wanting to get out of your degree, if you don't mind me asking?

I want to do my LPC afterwards. However that depends on how well i get through the next three years lol
Original post by Joleee
i'm an international student so i didn't take A levels (and i'm seriously procrastinating my 2nd year revision) but i know first year was hard for almost everyone; it's a steep learning curve because you have to go from describing information to arguing and having a point. if you can read over summer break i think it'll help.

i know you chose Chester because of the location, but imho it's better to choose the school based on it's reputation, ranking and quality of teaching. law is highly competitive, i can't stress that enough. so any advantage you can get will help you in the long run.

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't just pick Chester due to location, i did the applicant day and i found the staff and other students to be more welcoming than other universities. To be honest, i cant really pick a university more than 45 minutes away from my home because i have family commitments etc so moving is not an option.
Reply 5
that's really good that you got into a school close by then, must have been a relief!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending