I want to teach my brother to drive...

Watch
Misc
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Ive been driving for 8 years now. Fairly good driver if i may say so myself.My brother just turned 18 and has started professional lessons (currently on #3)

I want to take him out to give him some extra practice between lessons.

Anyone who has learnt with a parent got any pointers for me? The obvious disadvantage is no dual controls in my car.

Im thinking best to start him off in an empty car park or industrial estate on a sunday.

Any other advice or tips?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Misc)
Ive been driving for 8 years now. Fairly good driver if i may say so myself.My brother just turned 18 and has started professional lessons (currently on #3)

Anyone who has learnt with a parent got any pointers for me? The obvious disadvantage is no dual controls in my car.

Im thinking best to start him off in an empty car park or industrial estate on a sunday.

My dad refused to take either me or my brother out in his car until we had passed. Even when I did pass and he took me to empty car parks to practice bay parking (something not taught in my town when I did my test) I hated it. I could actually see him tense up and grip the door in fear sometimes. It could just be how my dad is, but I would not recommend learning how to drive or anything with a family member.

My issue with my dad was I learned to drive in a fairly new car, my dad's car is over 10 years old, so the gears and clutch are a lot stiffer than the one I learned in. My dad didn't believe this and thought I wasn't trying hard enough, until he got a new car and realised I was right. I think learning to drive in 2 different cars at the same time would have been very confusing and difficult for me.
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Misc)

Currently learning to drive and go out with my dad quite regularly
The most important thing is not to visibly tense or panic if something goes wrong. I refuse to drive with my mum in the car as she panics too easily :lol:
At this stage he may need instructions for things you would perceive as basic (when to change gear, looking in mirrors etc.) and take guidance from him as to how much he wants you to say.
Don't push him into doing things he's not comfortable with and be potentially prepared to drive a bit of a journey of he's not happy doing that but (the number of times I stopped like 100m from home as there were double parked cars that I didn't want to go pass :rofl:)
Be patient if he makes mistakes, especially stalling, and encourage him to take it slow
Try to take him on routes he's familiar with as that will make it easier for him.
Driving an unfamiliar car to begin with he may find quite difficult, but reassure him it will get easier (I now actually find my parent's car easier to drive than my instructor's :facepalm:)
Don't try and do anything complicated or that he hasn't done before either!
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Misc)

Without wanting to come across as arrogant - how do you know you're a good driver? How do you know you haven't picked up bad habits? Someone on their third lesson is likely to make quite a few mistakes - would you have the ability to react and control the situation if that happened? Fair enough if they'd had, say, 10 lessons and were wanting to get more experience, but at the moment you'd be teaching him, and that's not something you're qualified to do. Be very careful whatever you do.
DrivingTestPro
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Take him to a large quiet area (industrial estate car park at the weekend) and get him to practice reversing the car slowly (under 5mph) to wherever he wants, or set him targets to aim for, driving from one to the other. Get him to practice driving at under 5 mph using clutch control and keeping the revs roughly constant between around 1200 to 1500 revs.

This should reduce the stress on both of you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (2)
6.06%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
9.09%
I need help with my personal statement (15)
45.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (7)
21.21%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
3.03%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
6.06%

Watched Threads