The Student Room Group

Personal Statement

Is it worth including things like that you know how to play an instrument, ran a marathon? (but like I learnt it during school and the marathon)
Reply 1
Yes it is worth mentioning as it shows a variety of skills and characteristics. I mentioned instruments and sports in mine and got interviews everywhere I applied to. As long as it is just a few sentences.
Original post by Tilly M
Yes it is worth mentioning as it shows a variety of skills and characteristics. I mentioned instruments and sports in mine and got interviews everywhere I applied to. As long as it is just a few sentences.

Thank you it's good to know that it will come to some use
ditto other poster.

I just did a paragraph after the bulk of my PS on cadets and work, then concluded the PS.
Reply 4
Original post by A.Montgomery
Is it worth including things like that you know how to play an instrument, ran a marathon? (but like I learnt it during school and the marathon)

No, never include that drivel unless you are applying to study music (include the former) or sport science (include the latter).

I know, I've been to uni.
Original post by BTAnonymous
ditto other poster.

I just did a paragraph after the bulk of my PS on cadets and work, then concluded the PS.

So what do you discuss the most, your grades? about you?
Original post by futbol
No, never include that drivel unless you are applying to study music (include the former) or sport science (include the latter).

I know, I've been to uni.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but don't you think it makes someone stand out more since they've managed to do these things and keep good grades?
Reply 7
I'm not saying you are wrong, but don't you think it makes someone stand out more since they've managed to do these things and keep good grades?

No, it will make you look like a fake-musical hack or one of those irritating people obsessed with running.

Trust me, I know.

Yeah include it. I had a short 3 line sentence at the end of mine saying I played an instrument(and skills I'd learnt) and sports I played(and skills I learnt)
Original post by AzureCeleste
Yeah include it. I had a short 3 line sentence at the end of mine saying I played an instrument(and skills I'd learnt) and sports I played(and skills I learnt)

Do you think it had an impact?

Always! Employers love to see that you have fun hobbies. It will give you more personality, which is important.
Do you think it had an impact?

I applied for medicine so it was less of a deal, however I know some universities look for people having a life outwith their academic life and as such it will have been looked upon more favourably than someone who was purely academic.
Also yes, pretty sure it did have an impact(I know my friend is having to send proof of some of her non academic achievements)
I applied for medicine so it was less of a deal, however I know some universities look for people having a life outwith their academic life and as such it will have been looked upon more favourably than someone who was purely academic.
Also yes, pretty sure it did have an impact(I know my friend is having to send proof of some of her non academic achievements)

How about for A-Level to get into colleges?
How about for A-Level to get into colleges?

I've no idea. I guess showing you're a student who can handle many things at once is always going to be seen as a good quality-shows you can have a good work/life balance
I've no idea. I guess showing you're a student who can handle many things at once is always going to be seen as a good quality-shows you can have a good work/life balance

that's what I was thinking... Thank you for answering all my questions!
So what do you discuss the most, your grades? about you?

why I wanted to do the course (physics). I really like physics so it just came out naturally, started talking about my favourite discipline in physics (astrophysics) and why I enjoy physics in general. Also talked about a couple books, lectures and BBC documentaries specifically on physics.

Quick Reply

Latest