Am i good enough to take a level history

Watch
MankyShoe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hiya, until recently i was set on doing maths and the three sciences for a level. I was so sad at the thought kf dropping history as i love the subject and also our hist department so much- id cry if i never get to do it again.

So im thinking maybe i could do it for a level?- im thinking for dropping biology to do it.

Im just not sure if im good enough at it. Im predicted an A* at GCSE, sat a paper today and got 39/40 on my coursework, another paper to go. But i struggle with essays and sciences are really my thing. Im aware this looks like im boasting as im doing well but i dont know if i would be able to cope when it gets harder- theres a set answer formula at the moment-
Im only predicted 7s in english

So uh, can anyone advise if im being stupid?? Would i be able to get a grade i was happy with.
I know you dont know me but im looking fir reassurance
myst451
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MankyShoe)
Hiya, until recently i was set on doing maths and the three sciences for a level. I was so sad at the thought kf dropping history as i love the subject and also our hist department so much- id cry if i never get to do it again.

So im thinking maybe i could do it for a level?- im thinking for dropping biology to do it.

Im just not sure if im good enough at it. Im predicted an A* at GCSE, sat a paper today and got 39/40 on my coursework, another paper to go. But i struggle with essays and sciences are really my thing. Im aware this looks like im boasting as im doing well but i dont know if i would be able to cope when it gets harder- theres a set answer formula at the moment-

So uh, can anyone advise if im being stupid?? Would i be able to get a grade i was happy with.
okay im guessing you wont be happy with anything less than an A*. I sympathise. Same here.

personally i love history and I'm predicted an A* if not higher. I also got 39/40 on my essay and while this may not have been the best result for me i am still happy because i appreciate that it really is good. If you can get the same i dont see how you struggle with essay writing. How long did you spend on it? I only spent about 4 hours tbh . 7 is still a very good grade for english - are you sure its your essay writing skills you struggle with or just analytical skills that are specific to english? if that is the case you should have no issues at all taking history. if sciences are what you are good at then obviously you should really consider them but do you enjoy them? They say you should spend over 25 hours per week doing work outside of the classroom for a levels and so if you are not enjoying a subject this may be difficult. I would always take the subjects i enjoy most over the ones im best at but im one of those people who gets the same grade in every subject so.....

you are not being stupid at all but if you are predicted an a* in history, i think you are more than prepared to get an a* at a level
MankyShoe
Rep:
?
(Original post by casual_ravenclaw)
okay im guessing you wont be happy with anything less than an A*. I sympathise. Same here.

personally i love history and I'm predicted an A* if not higher. I also got 39/40 on my essay and while this may not have been the best result for me i am still happy because i appreciate that it really is good. If you can get the same i dont see how you struggle with essay writing. How long did you spend on it? I only spent about 4 hours tbh . 7 is still a very good grade for english - are you sure its your essay writing skills you struggle with or just analytical skills that are specific to english? if that is the case you should have no issues at all taking history. if sciences are what you are good at then obviously you should really consider them but do you enjoy them? They say you should spend over 25 hours per week doing work outside of the classroom for a levels and so if you are not enjoying a subject this may be difficult. I would always take the subjects i enjoy most over the ones im best at but im one of those people who gets the same grade in every subject so.....

you are not being stupid at all but if you are predicted an a* in history, i think you are more than prepared to get an a* at a level
Tbh an A would be fine, but anything less than that id be really disappointed with- thats not to say a B is a bad grade, but i would get something higher in biology. It took me a long time, but idk how long now.

Yeah english is my weakest subject, everything else is at least an 8- brains are my thing- im always the first to say happiness comes first, but for me i cant seem to apply the same logic.
I guess i feel i got lucky with the coursework and wouldnt be able to replicate it at A levek
myst451
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Tbh an A would be fine, but anything less than that id be really disappointed with- thats not to say a B is a bad grade, but i would get something higher in biology. It took me a long time, but idk how long now.

Yeah english is my weakest subject, everything else is at least an 8- brains are my thing- im always the first to say happiness comes first, but for me i cant seem to apply the same logic.
I guess i feel i got lucky with the coursework and wouldnt be able to replicate it at A levek
no it's okay. take what you think you will do best in - i guess im just lucky that the subjects i like I do slightly better in than other subjects. Having subjects that you like may help you lessen the workload but if you are better at sciences then i guess you cant ignore that
i think you will do well at anything you do honestly
MankyShoe
Rep:
?
(Original post by casual_ravenclaw)
no it's okay. take what you think you will do best in - i guess im just lucky that the subjects i like I do slightly better in than other subjects. Having subjects that you like may help you lessen the workload but if you are better at sciences then i guess you cant ignore that
i think you will do well at anything you do honestly
70% of people at my schiolget a or a star at history a level, and i think id maybe be okay. Im pretty sure it what i want to do, if its awfuk i can drop or swap back.. I wanna at least give it a go
myst451
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
70% of people at my schiolget a or a star at history a level, and i think id maybe be okay. Im pretty sure it what i want to do, if its awfuk i can drop or swap back.. I wanna at least give it a go
go for it
good luck x
helpmeplzz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

you should be proud of your score I am doing so much worse when you think your doing bad look at other scores and see who did worse and youll feel better
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (68)
27.42%
No - I have already returned home (27)
10.89%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (26)
10.48%
No - I live at home during term anyway (76)
30.65%

Watched Threads