B1369 - British Nationality Act 1981 (Amendment) Bill 2018 (Third Reading) Watch

This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
What is this?/I'm confused
Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1369 - British Nationality Act 1981 (Amendment) Bill 2018 (Third Reading), TSR Conservative & Unionist Party

A
BILL
TO

Amend the British Nationality Act 1981 (Amendment) Act 2018 as to ameliorate the protection of national interests and security surrounding, principally, deprivation of citizenship.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 - Amendments to the British Nationality Act 1981
(1) S40(2A) shall be inserted into the British Nationality Act 1981 and read as follows: "Where the Secretary of State is satisfied that deprivation is conducive, the Secretary of State is to be required to initiate all criminal and judicial proceedings against the person, prior to the deprivation of citizenship."
(2) S40(2B) shall be inserted into the British Nationality Act 1981 and read as follows: "Where the Secretary of State is satisfied that deprivation is conducive, and the deprivation of citizenship status would result in a person obtaining ‘stateless' status, the Secretary of State is to be required to present evidence for the deprivation of citizenship to and consult with Parliament, prior to deprivation "
(3) S40(4) and S40(4A) of the British Nationality Act 1981 are hereby repealed.

2 - Citation and Commencement:
(1) This act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
(2) This act will come into force upon Royal Assent.
(3) This act may be cited as the British Nationality Act 1981 (Amendment) Act 2018.

Notes
Spoiler:
Show
The law, specifically section 40, clause 4 of the British Nationality Act 1981, currently stands that the Secretary of State and Home Office cannot deprive an individual of their nationality when it would rendered said person ‘stateless' - regardless of circumstances. This permits those born in the United Kingdom to go out and fight against the United Kingdom, her interests and the interests of her allies whilst retaining citizenship: citizenship which is indeed a right, but as with all rights has responsibilities - in this case, a responsibility to adhere to and support the interests of the United Kingdom.

That being said, the deprivation of citizenship is an inherently serious matter; one that ought not to be taken lightly, in lieu of the ever present threat of extremism and international terrorism, but one that is necessary.

Changes for the Second Reading
Spoiler:
Show

The level of scrutiny of the deprivation of citizenship, where said action would result in the person becoming stateless, has been significantly increased. The Secretary of State must now have tangible and reliable evidence and consult the PM and Foreign Secretary prior to deprivation. At the same time, the person retains the underlying right for appeal, at all times.

As to remove ambiguity, section 40(2) is no longer affected directly.

Changes for the Third Reading
Spoiler:
Show
The level of scrutiny of the deprivation of citizenship has been further increased to ‘parliamentary scrutiny' as to assuage concerns.

Posted By SpeakerBot
Report an issue | Suggest a feature
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I don’t care how much scrutiny you’re putting on the process, I fundamentally disagree with the creation of this type of mechanism.

Still a no.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Connor27)
I don’t care how much scrutiny you’re putting on the process, I fundamentally disagree with the creation of this type of mechanism.

Still a no.
Agreed.
DayneD89
Rep:
?
This has gone to cessation

Posted By SpeakerBot
DayneD89
Rep:
?
Division!

Clear the lobbies!

Posted By SpeakerBot
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (162)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (86)
9.89%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (145)
16.67%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (125)
14.37%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (84)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (268)
30.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed