Cheapest way to travel around Edinburgh?

Watch
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm in Edinburgh at the end of the month for a few days. What's the cheapest way (in terms of tickets; not transport) to travel please? I've looked on the Lothian bus website and am a bit stuck. Thanks.

EDIT: I'll be travelling up by plane and by staying in the city centre, if that makes any difference.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
I'm in Edinburgh at the end of the month for a few days. What's the cheapest way (in terms of tickets; not transport) to travel please? I've looked on the Lothian bus website and am a bit stuck. Thanks.

EDIT: I'll be travelling up by plane and by staying in the city centre, if that makes any difference.
They do an all day ticket all trams and buses for £4.
Doesnt cover you in from the airport and that can cost you nearly a tenner.

http://edinburghtrams.com/tickets/ticket-options

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowFo..._Scotland.html
Amanzhol
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You might want to get the 'Network DAY ticket' on the days you travel to the airport which will give you unlimited tram travel from the airport to the city and unlimited buses around the city. On any days you're just going around the city, go for the 'DAY ticket' which gives you the same unlimited travel just within the city and not to the airport.

https://lothianbuses.co.uk/tickets/ticket-options
Attybat
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've never been to edinburgh but looked at the website for you. It depends on how many day's you're going to be there, what times of day you're going to be travelling and how many journeys within that time.

If you're making more than 3 single journeys a day but there 4 or less days, get a DAY ticket (£4.00 per day).
If you're there 5-7 days, it's cheaper to get a Ridacard (£16 on production of a Student photo ID card, £19 otherwise). This option includes airport transport links.
Attybat
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Amanzhol)
You might want to get the 'Network DAY ticket' on the days you travel to the airport which will give you unlimited tram travel from the airport to the city and unlimited buses around the city. On any days you're just going around the city, go for the 'DAY ticket' which gives you the same unlimited travel just within the city and not to the airport.

https://lothianbuses.co.uk/tickets/ticket-options
1 week Ridacard works out cheaper (2xNetwork DAY ticket= £18, Ridacard=£19 (£16 with valid UNI photocard))
Amanzhol
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Attybat)
1 week Ridacard works out cheaper (2xNetwork DAY ticket= £18, Ridacard=£19 (£16 with valid UNI photocard))
I just took OP's 'few days' to mean 2-4 days, so didn't think it'd be worthwhile getting a week-long ticket, but of course it depends on their definition of a few days :dontknow:
Attybat
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Amanzhol)
I just took OP's 'few days' to mean 2-4 days, so didn't think it'd be worthwhile getting a week-long ticket, but of course it depends on their definition of a few days :dontknow:
The ridacard works out cheaper just on airport transfers, which are included. Just one network day costs £9, so unless only travelling to the airport, the ridacard's cheaper even if you only used it for half a week.
jnora137
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello, you can use a transit way of travelling. Visit this site
Dreamer20
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
edinburgh trams are horrible

they only have one route

buses and cycling are better
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (58)
17.31%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (94)
28.06%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (128)
38.21%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise