abbiechantellex
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The question states
"A moving particle of mass m collides elastically with a particle of equal mass which is at rest on a smooth table. After the collision, the first particle moves at an angle of θ to its initial direction of motion and the second particle moves at an angle of 2θ to the original direction of motion of the first particle so there is an angle of 3θ between the trajectories of the first and second particles after the collision. Find θ."

I honestly have no idea where to start with this so any help will be appeciated
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by abbiechantellex)
The question states
"A moving particle of mass m collides elastically with a particle of equal mass which is at rest on a smooth table. After the collision, the first particle moves at an angle of θ to its initial direction of motion and the second particle moves at an angle of 2θ to the original direction of motion of the first particle so there is an angle of 3θ between the trajectories of the first and second particles after the collision. Find θ."

I honestly have no idea where to start with this so any help will be appeciated
It will help to draw a diagram. You have 3 vectors, an initial direction of motion u and the subsequent motions of the two balls {\bf v_1}, {\bf v_2}. Use the law of conservation of momentum to see how these vectors relate. Then use conservation of energy to find the angle between v_1 and v_2.
abbiechantellex
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
It will help to draw a diagram. You have 3 vectors, an initial direction of motion u and the subsequent motions of the two balls {\bf v_1}, {\bf v_2}. Use the law of conservation of momentum to see how these vectors relate. Then use conservation of energy to find the angle between v_1 and v_2.
I have calculated the conservation of momentum and the conservation of energy, but I am unsure as to what to do now.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by abbiechantellex)
I have calculated the conservation of momentum and the conservation of energy, but I am unsure as to what to do now.
It would help to post your working so far.

Note: This works out very nicely if you do everything in terms of vectors and dot products; and is a real pig if you look at in terms of parallel and perpendicular to the vector u (as I did initially).

Recall  v^2= |{\bf v}|^2= \bf v.v
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
It would help to post your working so far.

Note: This works out very nicely if you do everything in terms of vectors and dot products; and is a real pig if you look at in terms of parallel and perpendicular to the vector u (as I did initially).

Recall  v^2= |{\bf v}|^2= \bf v.v
You don't even need that if you draw the right diagram and use Pythagoras (well, the converse to Pythagoras I guess).

But your suggestion works nicely too of course.
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You don't even need that if you draw the right diagram and use Pythagoras (well, the converse to Pythagoras I guess).

But your suggestion works nicely too of course.
It's also possible to reason as follows:

a) It's an elastic collision between equal masses with the first in motion and the second stationary before the collision, so the first particle will transfer to the second particle the full component of its momentum resolved along the line joining the centres of the particles at the moment of collision;

b) From (a) the subsequent motion of the first particle must be at right angles to the line of centres (as it has stopped in the direction of the line of centres);

c) The motion of the second particle after the collision must be along the line of centres of the particles at the moment of collision, as this is the line along which they interact;

d) From (b) and (c) the particles must be moving at right angles to one another after the collision. [email protected] = 90 so @ = 30.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by old_engineer)
It's also possible to reason as follows:
Very nice, but maybe wait for the OP's response before posting a full solution?
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Very nice, but maybe wait for the OP's response before posting a full solution?
Quite so. Thank you for the reminder. Will exercise self-restraint in future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads