The Student Room Group

Gap year

Scroll to see replies

I applied no my own as an external candidate at first but then linked it to my college since my coach has to give a reference and it would make it a whole bunch easier. (Not too Cambridge mind you.)
Original post by monkeyman0121
I applied no my own as an external candidate at first but then linked it to my college since my coach has to give a reference and it would make it a whole bunch easier. (Not too Cambridge mind you.)

Which unis did you apply to? And did you get in?
Original post by yoyomynameis...
Which unis did you apply to? And did you get in?

Birmingham City University and Coventry University. I did not get into Coventry since I noticed it was too far away for my circumstances. I have firmed an offer on BCU and withdrawn another from there.
Reply 23
I applied to a uni I didn't want to go to because i'm an idiot. I don't want to go to my other choice because it's biomed. How many people get in reapplying roughly? You say 60% get rejected but how many go on to be successful?

No idea sorry.
Original post by monkeyman0121
Birmingham City University and Coventry University. I did not get into Coventry since I noticed it was too far away for my circumstances. I have firmed an offer on BCU and withdrawn another from there.

Ahh okay fair enough
I'm in no rush to be a doctor. And I want to go to a better university. I don't want to waste 6 of the best years of my life somewhere I won't enjoy.

The uni I firmed? It's in london, but I don't want to Dox myself by revealing it, unless via PM. I'm really scared in honesty, because so many people are offerless. I have one more offer but a rejection from oxbridge post interview and a rejection from UCL pre interview. I don't really want to live life without trying again, because I think i'll be regretful. I wish I could have my guaranteed place next year. Then again, surely if I got a place this year, then I can the next?

What do you mean by a ‘better’ university?
Higher ranking? If so, forget it. Many of the rankings are based on the data that’s not necessarily relevant to undergraduate teaching and, more crucially, most of them are not to be trusted, according to my friend who’s The Editor on Education for a major national newspaper. [spoiler,](For a reason that’s cannot be disclosed in details in a public forum like this, but basically because of the ways the data is collected and used. )

All 5 medical schools in London are highly regarded. I know people who were there and they were very happy with their uni. Why do you think you won’t like the one you got offer from?
Original post by vincrows
What do you mean by a ‘better’ university?
Higher ranking? If so, forget it. Many of the rankings are based on the data that’s not necessarily relevant to undergraduate teaching and, more crucially, most of them are not to be trusted, according to my friend who’s The Editor on Education for a major national newspaper. [spoiler,](For a reason that’s cannot be disclosed in details in a public forum like this, but basically because of the ways the data is collected and used. )

All 5 medical schools in London are highly regarded. I know people who were there and they were very happy with their uni. Why do you think you won’t like the one you got offer from?

There are only 5 medical schools in London? If so, I have an offer from the worst, if not second worst. Also the area doesn't appeal to me, neither does the vibe/ nature of the students there. Also I think it is ranked highly, even though I deem it second worst in terms of prestige, so it's not a matter of ranking
There are only 5 medical schools in London? If so, I have an offer from the worst, if not second worst. Also the area doesn't appeal to me, neither does the vibe/ nature of the students there. Also I think it is ranked highly, even though I deem it second worst in terms of prestige, so it's not a matter of ranking

There are as many as 5 medic schools in London....... There isn’t any other city in uk that has more than one medic school, if they have any.
There aren’t so many medic schools in uk. Just a bit over 30 in total, I think.
So the offer you got now is quite precious, you know? :wink:

So do you have good plans to improve your application a lot for next time around?
No idea which of 2 London medic schools I’m thinking you got the offer from, but both of them have much lower entry requirements than Oxbridge, you really need a really serious work to make reapplication successful. (Don’t read too much into being invited by Oxbridge last time as they interview a large proportion of applicants anyway. That’s the easiest part in applying to them.)
And good safety net options is vital in case things don’t work out in the way you hoped. Make sure you choose universities you’d be happy to go if you don’t get offer from your top choices.

(Btw, you may not like the area of whichever medic school you got the offer from, rent is cheaper there, so it’s not all bad thing......)

Anyway......
It’s your choice at the end of the day, so good luck with whatever you decide to do.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
There are as many as 5 medic schools in London....... There isn’t any other city in uk that has more than one medic school, if they have any.
There aren’t so many medic schools in uk. Just a bit over 30 in total, I think.
So the offer you got now is quite precious, you know? :wink:

So do you have good plans to improve your application a lot for next time around?
No idea which of 2 London medic schools I’m thinking you got the offer from, but both of them have much lower entry requirements than Oxbridge, you really need a really serious work to make reapplication successful. (Don’t read too much into being invited by Oxbridge last time as they interview a large proportion of applicants anyway. That’s the easiest part in applying to them.)
And good safety net options is vital in case things don’t work out in the way you hoped. Make sure you choose universities you’d be happy to go if you don’t get offer from your top choices.

(Btw, you may not like the area of whichever medic school you got the offer from, rent is cheaper there, so it’s not all bad thing......)

Anyway......
It’s your choice at the end of the day, so good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thank you so much for going out of your way to help me. I guess you are right and it puts things into perspective. But I've also got feedback now and they said it was my aptitude test, which I could improve next year. Also, can I just reject my uni after results day, in the case that I do meet the grades needed. You must know of people who have been successful reapplying and also how much extra work would be needed?
Thank you so much for going out of your way to help me. I guess you are right and it puts things into perspective. But I've also got feedback now and they said it was my aptitude test, which I could improve next year. Also, can I just reject my uni after results day, in the case that I do meet the grades needed. You must know of people who have been successful reapplying and also how much extra work would be needed?

Well, I know quite a few medic applicants because that’s one of the most popular distinctions for students at the school my daughter went. But, no, I don’t personally know anyone who rejected offers they got to reapply following year. All the Cambridge medics I’ve personally known were first time applicants. There might be some, but not among the people I know. So sorry I can’t help,you there, I’m afraid.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending