The Student Room Group

Do you think your neighbours know/care about what's happening in your life?

Do you like your neighbours? What kind of relations do you have with your neighbours, or others in your family? Do you think that they are curious or care about what is happening in your life, or vice versa?

Scroll to see replies

Am certain my housemate next door doesnt like me but to my face she is sickly sweet, this irritates me cos if you have a problem with me at least dont be fake about it.
Reply 2
Original post by CoolCavy
Am certain my housemate next door doesnt like me but to my face she is sickly sweet, this irritates me cos if you have a problem with me at least dont be fake about it.

Well, how do you know that? Do you like your housemate?
I doubt it, I hardly even speak to them.
Neighbour in one side is a cowardly chav with a habit of taking it out on his partner, the other is some sort of weird sublet thing where folk keep kicking in the front door or buzzing at 2am, up em. They know my name and that I don't like them, i'll fling either of them down the stairs and say they tripped if they look at me wrong....ahh...neighbours :smile:
Original post by Mill Hill
Well, how do you know that? Do you like your housemate?

Because certain things have happened since i have been here (MH wise) i know she wonders why the police came round and stuff like that and i've had to take some private phone calls about stuff but the walls are thin here so am pretty sure she heard. I think she thinks im off my head.
I can tell she is being false just by her tone tbh, my parent has been round a few times and says she seems two faced. And not really she irritates me because she is ungenuine
Reply 6
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
I doubt it, I hardly even speak to them.

I was thinking recently: wouldn't it be nice to live in a really close-knit community in a nice neighbourhood where people know one another, like American Mid-West style? The kind of neighbours who would care whether you are decorating your house for holidays etc
Reply 7
Original post by CoolCavy
Because certain things have happened since i have been here (MH wise) i know she wonders why the police came round and stuff like that and i've had to take some private phone calls about stuff but the walls are thin here so am pretty sure she heard. I think she thinks im off my head.
I can tell she is being false just by her tone tbh, my parent has been round a few times and says she seems two faced. And not really she irritates me because she is ungenuine

Is that at your university? You rent a house together?
Do you like your neighbours? What kind of relations do you have with your neighbours, or others in your family? Do you think that they are curious or care about what is happening in your life, or vice versa?

We're not very close. Just a casual "hello" and a wave if we see each other. We used to be closer to an old married couple who lived next door but they moved last year to a bungalow about 2 hours away. We also used to be a bit closer to a couple opposite us but they moved 2 months ago. And now there's another couple 2 doors down who we talk to most often, but still only once or twice a month. Just a general wave if we see them and if we pass them my dad will have a chat with them.

We aren't really fussed about each other's lives. We send Christmas cards to each other every year though.
I was thinking recently: wouldn't it be nice to live in a really close-knit community in a nice neighbourhood where people know one another, like American Mid-West style? The kind of neighbours who would care whether you are decorating your house for holidays etc

I don't like being knowing my business and the problem with close knit communities is they're very nosy and gossipy.
Is that at your university? You rent a house together?

yeh, and sort of, is a house share. There are 7 of us in total (although there was 8 but one left)
I dont really like my room cos all the other rooms are separated from each other by a landing but we only have a wall separating us
Reply 11
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
I don't like being knowing my business and the problem with close knit communities is they're very nosy and gossipy.

That is true. However, I'd still prefer such a community than random, "atomised" individuals. Yes they do get into your business and indeed it's full of gossip but isn't it charming? :smile:
The ones we're attached too are grumpy nuns who go to bed before 8pm so that's slowed down our home improvements so i don't like them much. The other neighbours are lovely, the nice gentleman has even mowed our lawn for us a couple of times.
Reply 13
Original post by claireestelle
The ones we're attached too are grumpy nuns who go to bed before 8pm so that's slowed down our home improvements so i don't like them much. The other neighbours are lovely, the nice gentleman has even mowed our lawn for us a couple of times.

Sounds like a cosy area to live in
I don't even know who they are. :oops:
I’d be quite pleased if Bob and Mary conducted a murder suicide. Or, slightly less extreme, sold their house and buggered off asap. Nosey get.
Sounds like a cosy area to live in

we live in a bit of a culd de sac, the area was a bit of a compromise when buying it but turns out apart from next door it's actually been the most peaceful and nicest area we've lived in
never spoken to most neigbours ever and dont know who actually live there in some houses. used to be loads of kids on my street all grown up now
On one side, we have a very elderly lady. Her and my mum talk a lot. My mum often tries to drag me into conversations with her, which can be a little frustrating. She tends to brag quite a bit, but I do find it interesting when she talks about her experiences in WW2. My sister and I decided to throw bottles into her garden when we were little. She wasn’t too happy. Our cat poops in her garden. She’s not too happy about that either. I don’t think she cares about what goes on in my life that much lol.

On the other side, we have a middle-aged married couple who have two grownup children who have moved out; one of which has a baby. The woman is really nice but we don’t really interact unless it’s polite small talk and have no idea what goes on in each other’s lives. I once attended a house party of their son’s when I was 10. They’re moving away soon.
Some neighbors do some don't. Neighbors in big cities aren't particularly sociable from my experience.

On the other hand... neighbors in smaller towns, or villages in fact, can be downright annoying, prying in things that really... lol, who cares. I had rumors spread about me that I was paying prostitutes to come over to my house when my parents were away.

They weren't fking prostitutes. Only cleaners. One of them in her 50s. Jeez. People in smaller towns get bored easy I suppose. I wasn't prepared to maintain 300 square meters all by myself.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest