The Student Room Group

Is it possible to go from C to A/A* in C4 in a month?

Realistically, I will spend one hour a day everyday for the next 33 days, then 6 hours a day in the last 4 days leading up to my exam, which is when I will be focusing solely on Maths. Right now I am mainly doing exercises from the textbook and the PMT website. When I feel like I've thoroughly learned all the topics, I will start doing the past papers.

If anyone's got any exam techniques for Maths then that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bro anything is possible.
Original post by Mystelle
Realistically, I will spend one hour a day everyday for the next 33 days, then 6 hours a day in the last 4 days leading up to my exam, which is when I will be focusing solely on Maths. Right now I am mainly doing exercises from the textbook and the PMT website. When I feel like I've thoroughly learned all the topics, I will start doing the past papers.

If anyone's got any exam techniques for Maths then that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Well i'm gonna attempt to do c34 in 2 weeks. so yeaaaa lol.
Since you have more time than me i'll suggest you do one pastpaper now. in timed conditions, then mark it and all the questions you got wrong you go through the topic on exam solutions follow his video tutorial and then do his exam questions, then go to physics and maths tutor and go through pastpaper question by topics do like 5-6 questions, if they aren't enough you can go through your text book and all the question which have an red E next them (they are also exam questions). Rinse and repeat until you get over 95 percent in timed conditioned. Keep doing this trust me and dont be scared if you finish early, if you run out of pastpapers you can go do the solomons papers, they are harder and sort of pointless but at least its good practice.
best of luck.
Reply 3
Original post by assassinbunny123
Well i'm gonna attempt to do c34 in 2 weeks. so yeaaaa lol.
Since you have more time than me i'll suggest you do one pastpaper now. in timed conditions, then mark it and all the questions you got wrong you go through the topic on exam solutions follow his video tutorial and then do his exam questions, then go to physics and maths tutor and go through pastpaper question by topics do like 5-6 questions, if they aren't enough you can go through your text book and all the question which have an red E next them (they are also exam questions). Rinse and repeat until you get over 95 percent in timed conditioned. Keep doing this trust me and dont be scared if you finish early, if you run out of pastpapers you can go do the solomons papers, they are harder and sort of pointless but at least its good practice.
best of luck.

Thank you so much for your advice! Yeah I find solomon papers to be a tad more difficult as well. What's your exam board? Mine is Edexcel
Thank you so much for your advice! Yeah I find solomon papers to be a tad more difficult as well. What's your exam board? Mine is Edexcel

i'm doing edexcel international a-level
Yes.
Same boat as you (AQA board though), haven't done any past papers because I don't feel I have a firm enough grasp of the topics. It sounds like you're putting lots of effort into it so I believe it's definitely possible! I might actually try follow a similar schedule to you, it sounds like a good plan. Are you on study leave already?
Reply 7
my advice to everyone this month is honestly dont worry yourself about the grades, just work as hard as you can to achieve what you want. dont get worrying about "what if i dont get the grade" because it doesnt benefit you. you can do it. work hard, dont worry until results day. i believe in you kid
Original post by Twoteas
my advice to everyone this month is honestly dont worry yourself about the grades, just work as hard as you can to achieve what you want. dont get worrying about "what if i dont get the grade" because it doesnt benefit you. you can do it. work hard, dont worry until results day. i believe in you kid

bless youu
A strategy when doing past papers is doing the tiered papers. So starting from Bronze 1 and working your way up to Gold.
Reply 10
Original post by moonrise
Same boat as you (AQA board though), haven't done any past papers because I don't feel I have a firm enough grasp of the topics. It sounds like you're putting lots of effort into it so I believe it's definitely possible! I might actually try follow a similar schedule to you, it sounds like a good plan. Are you on study leave already?

Not yet, my study leave starts from 21st May. Best of luck to you! :yy:
Original post by Twoteas

Good advice!

Not yet, my study leave starts from 21st May. Best of luck to you! :yy:

Thank you, you too! My study leave hasn't started either, for me I prefer to manage my own revision rather than follow the schedule set by my teachers but it's really down to personal preference.
As everyone says past papers is the best way to revise, what I also like to do (if I have enough time to do so) is to re-write the information I need to study into my own words from the textbook, online resources and my class notes so I have one main resource to refer to for examples and formulae, and then do some early papers open book, gradually using my notes less and less until I can do the questions independently.
Do you get much support at school?
Reply 12
Good advice!

Thank you, you too! My study leave hasn't started either, for me I prefer to manage my own revision rather than follow the schedule set by my teachers but it's really down to personal preference.
As everyone says past papers is the best way to revise, what I also like to do (if I have enough time to do so) is to re-write the information I need to study into my own words from the textbook, online resources and my class notes so I have one main resource to refer to for examples and formulae, and then do some early papers open book, gradually using my notes less and less until I can do the questions independently.
Do you get much support at school?

Yes, extra support is there if we need it, it's basically a drop in session where a teacher is there to help you with anything you're stuck with. Although my teacher's pretty rubbish tbh - most of the time he just sits on his computer and check his emails or play with spreadsheets. He gives us worksheets to get on with in class and he's kinda bad at explaining. xD

What's your teacher like?
Yes, extra support is there if we need it, it's basically a drop in session where a teacher is there to help you with anything you're stuck with. Although my teacher's pretty rubbish tbh - most of the time he just sits on his computer and check his emails or play with spreadsheets. He gives us worksheets to get on with in class and he's kinda bad at explaining. xD

What's your teacher like?

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. :frown: We have dropin sessions as well where I go to, I was lucky to get a good teacher who explains stuff really clearly and he's currently doing revision lessons for each topic with worked examples and whatnot. Wish all my teachers were like him.
Maybe if you don't get a topic you could bring a question to the drop in session and then ask them to go over the topic as a whole? Or go sit in someone else's class during a free where the teacher is a bit better at going over things (if your school lets you do that)
Reply 14
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. :frown: We have dropin sessions as well where I go to, I was lucky to get a good teacher who explains stuff really clearly and he's currently doing revision lessons for each topic with worked examples and whatnot. Wish all my teachers were like him.
Maybe if you don't get a topic you could bring a question to the drop in session and then ask them to go over the topic as a whole? Or go sit in someone else's class during a free where the teacher is a bit better at going over things (if your school lets you do that)

Aww you seem like a really caring person, I’m glad you’ve got an amazing teacher for Year 13 :h: what other subjects do you take?
Aww you seem like a really caring person, I’m glad you’ve got an amazing teacher for Year 13 :h: what other subjects do you take?

Thank you, it's so nice of you to say that!
I also take Physics, Computer Science (plus a Further Maths AS)
So I did my A-Levels back in 2010, but I can't imagine the maths syllabus having changed all that much. I remember C4 as being my most challenging unit, and got a U on a mock exam that I had forgotten to study for (a month-ish before the real thing). I imagine my post-revision C4 level was on the B/C border, while I was getting As in the other units. I enlisted the help of a particularly assiduous friend who had nailed the unit, getting him to run me through exercises step by step for around two weeks; the rest of my revision (and there was a lot of it) I did alone. C4 was probably the one reason I got an overall A rather than A*, but the point is: yes, it's doable if you get things explained to you and revise every day.
Reply 17
Original post by WillyBrandt
So I did my A-Levels back in 2010, but I can't imagine the maths syllabus having changed all that much. I remember C4 as being my most challenging unit, and got a U on a mock exam that I had forgotten to study for (a month-ish before the real thing). I imagine my post-revision C4 level was on the B/C border, while I was getting As in the other units. I enlisted the help of a particularly assiduous friend who had nailed the unit, getting him to run me through exercises step by step for around two weeks; the rest of my revision (and there was a lot of it) I did alone. C4 was probably the one reason I got an overall A rather than A*, but the point is: yes, it's doable if you get things explained to you and revise every day.

That’s incredible, thanks for the encouragement!
I'm in the same boat and I can tell you it is possible, just stop worrying and get on with it, you've got this!
Reply 19
Thank you, it's so nice of you to say that!
I also take Physics, Computer Science (plus a Further Maths AS)

Nice combo! I do Biology and Psychology alongside Maths. How do you find Computer Science? My sister takes it too (WJEC) and she finds it quite difficult compared to Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest