Turn on thread page Beta

Highlighting your notes is the WORST study tactic watch

ReputationRep:
    Highlighting your notes is the WORST study tactic, it does nothing but waste time.
    Simply re-read and spend 80% of your study time re-calling information via quizzes, summary questions, practice exams, tests, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has their own ways of learning.
    For some people they may remembering highlighting the key phrase and as such it helps them.

Just because one thing doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzureCeleste)
    Everyone has their own ways of learning.
    For some people they may remembering highlighting the key phrase and as such it helps them.

Just because one thing doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for everyone
    What is the point of putting bright colours over words when you could be practising exam technique, applying your knowledge etc?

ReputationRep:
    I've never understood highlighting but each to their own :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Nye)
    What is the point of putting bright colours over words when you could be practising exam technique, applying your knowledge etc?
    For some people it's going through the passage and finding the key points to be extracted and learned. Some people can then end up remembering those key points or take those key points and summarise them.
    Just because you don't personally see the point in it, doesn't mean others don't. You are actively engaging in the what you are doing
    Personally I don't see the point in just reading something, yet for some people it works.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    that's your opinion. i personally find highlighting really useful especially if i'm looking at notes just before an exam.

ReputationRep:
    I can see the appeal in highlighting to emphasise important information.

ReputationRep:
    It's not my oppinionated approach to Highlighting, it's the research that revolves around study strategies;

"Scientific Research Shows Why Highlighting Is A Waste Of My Time"
    https://www.pedersoncpareview.com/sc...ng-waste-time/

"Highlighting and its relation to distributed Study and Student's metacognitive Beliefs"
    https://sites.williams.edu/nk2/files...k_.inpress.pdf

(Watch this segment on highlighting notes)
    https://youtu.be/ukLnPbIffxE?t=3m29s

Studies show that Highlighting may "feel" effective to you, but it's actually the least efficient way to remember information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temi1234)
    It's not my oppinionated approach to Highlighting, it's the research that revolves around study strategies;

"Scientific Research Shows Why Highlighting Is A Waste Of My Time"
    https://www.pedersoncpareview.com/sc...ng-waste-time/
    If you're going to quote research at least put it in context. That study looks at highlighting as a way of identifying what should be learnt, not as a tool for recalling key information after it has already been learnt. In any case, it's a literature review rather than experimental data. One piece of research referred to had a sample size of 19.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    If you're going to quote research at least put it in context. That study looks at highlighting as a way of identifying what should be learnt, not as a tool for recalling key information after it has already been learnt. In any case, it's a literature review rather than experimental data. One piece of research referred to had a sample size of 19.
    I've given research links and brief information on TSR, I'm sorry but I don't have the time(as a medical student) to write a Thesis on this research. It's up to you to read on it further or take this approach as a grain of salt.

One link on a study about the "effectiveness" of highlighting. You're saying yes it's a method to identify what should be learnt in terms of highlighting titles and subtexts on the related subject, but the reality is ....most students use it as a way to remember key words and phrases for their exams. It may work but It's simply ineffective. Period.

"...the researchers concluded that even though highlighting is a poor study strategy, students will continue to use it and teachers will continue to encourage it, so students should be taught the most effective way to highlight. The most effective way to do it is to highlight as little as possible. The researchers determined that this forces students to think critically about the material and determine what is important and what is not important."

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.