The Student Room Group

how to deal with my first rejection for a job?

it was an internship and although i wasnt too keen on it, the pay was really good and i thought my cv and cover letter was really good and i had lots of relevant experience. it waas really competitive but i just dont know how to deal with it
:frown:
Original post by justanotherchica
it was an internship and although i wasnt too keen on it, the pay was really good and i thought my cv and cover letter was really good and i had lots of relevant experience. it waas really competitive but i just dont know how to deal with it
:frown:

You might think everything was very good, but the employer clearly didn't think it was competitive enough, so rather than stick in the mindset that you were right, think why they might have thought differently and how you can change your application for the next job and become more competitive. You will get plenty of rejections when job hunting, 30 rejections for every offer isn't wildly off (so long as you got to interview for a number of them)
@threeportdrift's advice is excellent, and I'd second that!

Additionally it sounds like you really focused on the pay when applying. Try to find things you're a bit more keen on--it never has to be your absolute, be-all end-all dream job; but, you need to know you can go to work every morning happy to go in! Employers can tell as well whether or not you are keen, so perhaps that was what shone through on your application and thus rendered it less competitive.

Rejection is never fun, especially as it can feel like you as a person has been rejected--usually since we have put in so much of ourselves into our application, it feels like a little paper version of us, imbued with our soul, has been sent out and subsequently crushed. More often than not though, employers just found someone else who was just a tad bit better at representing themselves and their skills--it's not about you. Remember everyone has been here, and that it takes time to find not only where you want to be, but where you are needed--it's a very specific sweet spot. So, step up how you represent yourself. Get others to proof your application material, check in with your Uni's careers service, and try to keep your skills competitive, working on them in your spare time even though you're on a break or graduated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending