The Student Room Group

Bristol or KCL

Hi everyone!

I'm an international student (French but also biracial) and have unconditional offers from kings college london and Bristol university to study business management. There isn't much difference between the two courses so I'm not worried about that, I'm more concerned by the student life. I absolutely love London but am scared that I won't have a nice student experience there and no sense of community. And although I haven't visited Bristol, I do like what I have seen so far. My problem with Bristol is that, as I did my sixth form in a public school in England and had a really bad experience there, I'm a little scared that history will repeat itself as most of the students in Bristol are British and apparently, a lot of them are from public school. I'm not saying that everyone is the same, I just don't want to find myself in the same situation I was in before. So a little bit of advice would be amazing!

Thank you!
Original post by Jayssica
Hi everyone!

I'm an international student (French but also biracial) and have unconditional offers from kings college london and Bristol university to study business management. There isn't much difference between the two courses so I'm not worried about that, I'm more concerned by the student life. I absolutely love London but am scared that I won't have a nice student experience there and no sense of community. And although I haven't visited Bristol, I do like what I have seen so far. My problem with Bristol is that, as I did my sixth form in a public school in England and had a really bad experience there, I'm a little scared that history will repeat itself as most of the students in Bristol are British and apparently, a lot of them are from public school. I'm not saying that everyone is the same, I just don't want to find myself in the same situation I was in before. So a little bit of advice would be amazing!

Thank you!

Hi there, first of all congratulations on your unconditional offers- thats amazing!

I would advise if you can to visit Bristol and see what the uni and environment is like. The best thing about London is that there’s lots of things to do once you are out of uni because well- you’re in London!

In any case you will meet great people with great personalities, so focus on how YOU feel with the environment of the city and the uni life. Volunteering is great for getting involved with your community if you’re into that and there’s many events occurring in both cities, so I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about in that retrospect.

Hope this helps.
There's much more of a sense of student community at Bristol, in my view.
Reply 3
Original post by Marcus_:D
Hi there, first of all congratulations on your unconditional offers- thats amazing!

I would advise if you can to visit Bristol and see what the uni and environment is like. The best thing about London is that there’s lots of things to do once you are out of uni because well- you’re in London!

In any case you will meet great people with great personalities, so focus on how YOU feel with the environment of the city and the uni life. Volunteering is great for getting involved with your community if you’re into that and there’s many events occurring in both cities, so I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about in that retrospect.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your quick response!

Unfortunately, I was supposed to visit Bristol two months ago but they cancelled the open day and I haven't been able to go to the UK since (as I'm on a gap year) and according to my UCAS, I'm supposed to take a decision by the 7th of June but I'm out of Europe the whole month so I'm afraid I won't be able to visit Bristol sadly.
70% of offers at Bristol go to people from state schools - the 'public school' thing is a total myth.
Original post by Jayssica
Thank you for your quick response!

Unfortunately, I was supposed to visit Bristol two months ago but they cancelled the open day and I haven't been able to go to the UK since (as I'm on a gap year) and according to my UCAS, I'm supposed to take a decision by the 7th of June but I'm out of Europe the whole month so I'm afraid I won't be able to visit Bristol sadly.

I think go with your heart and pick what you feel is right for you. Being a university student is much different from being in a state school as you gain more responsibility for yourself. I’m sure either choice will be great for you and the doors are open waiting for you to step in!

Quick Reply

Latest