The Student Room Group

how to improve rugby skills?

I want to get better at rugby as most of the guys on my team can run faster and for longer than me. any ideas on how to improve insurance, speed and also strength?
thanks I will try that. I'm 15 and have never weightlifted before do u know anything I can start with or should I ask someone at the gym to show me what to do?
Reply 2
Original post by hal_sutcliffe
thanks I will try that. I'm 15 and have never weightlifted before do u know anything I can start with or should I ask someone at the gym to show me what to do?

Watch videos on YouTube. Type in 'Rugby Strength and Conditioning' you will find some videos with good workout tutorials.

You need to become bigger, stronger and faster. Also, you need to work on your ***** slap, so you can give some saucy hand offs on the field.

If I was in your position I'd go to my local 1st team or under 21 team and just play with them. Yes I know your 15 but you will become a beast of a player and will have better chance going pro
Original post by MathQS
Watch videos on YouTube. Type in 'Rugby Strength and Conditioning' you will find some videos with good workout tutorials.

You need to become bigger, stronger and faster. Also, you need to work on your ***** slap, so you can give some saucy hand offs on the field.

If I was in your position I'd go to my local 1st team or under 21 team and just play with them. Yes I know your 15 but you will become a beast of a player and will have better chance going pro

thanks for the advice! I play for a tag team once a week with people who are all older than me and I've got to say it's pretty tough (I've only been going 2 or 3 weeks) so hopefully that will improve my speed and endurance
What position do you play mate? Best bit of advice I've ever been given is that rugby is a game played by rugby players, not athletes. Plenty of big, athletic players but the best players are the ones who have rugby ability, can read the game, make good decisions etc.

Nail your body weight exercises: press ups, dips, sit ups, planks, variations of the above. Following on from that, I'd always recommend a simple 5 x 5 so 5 reps. If you're only just starting out, limit yourself to a couple of uppers and a couple of lowers. Always make sure you've got someone with you as well, get your technique right. For general fitness, it depends on your position really. 9's and back rowers need to be anle to run at a steady pace for a long time, back three and 13 need to be able to quickly in short bursts. Difficult to say without knowing more.
Reply 5
My suggestion to you would be to have proper training and focus on your running style.
Original post by hal_sutcliffe
I want to get better at rugby as most of the guys on my team can run faster and for longer than me. any ideas on how to improve insurance, speed and also strength?

Interval training is your best bet. Cycling is great if you don't have gym access. Boxing is great too, but finding a gym that will have sandbags/punching bags is extremely rare in the UK, par from martial arts gyms (which usually lack normal gym equipment, annoyingly enough). Interval training will help improve stamina, since you'll be switching from sprinting to jobs. It will also help speed, since sprinting. Most gyms have leg extension & leg curl machines, use those. Rowing machines are also a good bet.

If you want to find cycling paths: https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map

Quick Reply

Latest