Diaochan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Manchester, Southampton or Durham for computer science?

Durham:
Pros - Prestigious,Ranks higher in tables than Southampton and Manchester, (in general and computer science rankings) best campus
Cons - Small department, city life?, , low student satisfaction ratings, Course seems to be less exciting than at other unis

Southampton:
Pros - Nice facilities, computer science one of the flagship courses
Cons- A degree from Southampton doesn't sound as impressive as the other two? (As far as Im aware of)

Manchester:
Pros- Greater global reputation, slightly more prestigious than southampton, best city of the 3
Cons: ranks lowest in CS out of the three

Important factors to me include employers reputation, opportunities for business (e.g. networking, meeting people etc.), teaching quality.
Breeee
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Out of the three, Id probably pick Durham, or if not, then maybe Manchester. But Liverpool FTW! John Moores is good for computer science
Diaochan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Any reason in particular you'd chose Durham?
Breeee
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Its a reallyy lovely place to live. Plus the university has a really good reputation too
Marlene5
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hmmm. Where would you want to live for those several years? Which place speaks to you the most? With the Exception of Durham and other similar universities in smaller towns, you're likely to grow roots in the city you study in. Get an intern, stay for summer, and the motivation to move decreases, because you know the workplaces, the people, the city itself, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (543)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (662)
41.27%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (326)
20.32%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.55%

Watched Threads