Perspective on MSc Data Analytics course at University of Strathclyde

Watch
mobagetes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello All,
I intend to do the MSc Data Analytics course at University of Strathclyde, Business School. Is any one else doing or has done this course and can share their experience from it ? How is the quality of the course, how technically intensive is the course and how does the degree weights in the job market ?

Thanks
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
kmvit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mobagetes)
Hello All,
I intend to do the MSc Data Analytics course at University of Strathclyde, Business School. Is any one else doing or has done this course and can share their experience from it ? How is the quality of the course, how technically intensive is the course and how does the degree weights in the job market ?

Thanks

Hi mobagetes,

Apologies for the delay in us replying to you. I am a current MSc Data Analytics student at Strathclyde University, and I am writing to you to share some of my experience, opinions and views about the course.

In general, Strathclyde is a very good university. Degrees obtained from Strathclyde Business School (SBS) are highly valuable and recognized world wide (MSc Data Analytics and BAC are SBS degrees) as it has a triple accreditation. Students and faculty are very friendly and helpful. I have never faced any problem here till date whatsoever.
Now, about the course. MSc Data Analytics is a newly introduced course at the university (I am part of it's first batch of students). Note that here MSc is Management Science, and not Master of Science. The interesting part, and the most crucial aspect about the course is that it will be a mix of Management Science, Mathematics & Statistics and Computer & Information Science subjects. So you will get a good mixture of subject knowledge from all three departments. You will not feel like the course is technically intensive or that you are doing too much of one subject. The course has been designed and structured in collaboration with industry experts and standards. So, you will be taught the subjects that are most required in the job market.It is a good course and as you know, it is one of the upcoming fields with great scope for employment in almost any part of the world, as almost all organizations and companies need Data Analysts, Data Scientists to analyze company data and make sound and informed decisions. Forbes research recently showed that by 2020, there will be a requirement of ~200,000 personnel for data-oriented roles. It will also be one of the few six-figure salary jobs by then. You can imagine that, as the world is becoming digital day by day, and Machine Learning and AI taking over many of the regular day to day jobs. Now coming back to the topic, good Maths skills is very advantageous, especially in Statistics. If you are good at programming, that is another plus. The main languages you have to work with in this course are, R and Python. If you look at data-oriented role specifications, employers are keen on taking candidates who have experience in working with these two languages. So, if you can take any online crash courses on these two prior to joining the course, it would be a bonus. Both of these are extremely important for the course, although you will be taught these from scratch. A couple of other important points are:1. Since it is a one year Masters course, you will receive assignments and projects simultaneously for all subjects. So, be prepared to manage your time well2. You will have to write-up reports and essays. So, make sure your writing skills are top notchI hope this information helps and answers your questions. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further queries.Thanks and regards,[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.901960784313726)]kmvit[/color]

kmvit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
Hi Puddles the Monkey,

Thank you, and apologies for the delayed response from our end. I have now replied to mobagetes on their queries.

Regards,
kmvit
er_saloni
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kmvit)
Hi Puddles the Monkey,

Thank you, and apologies for the delayed response from our end. I have now replied to mobagetes on their queries.

Regards,
kmvit
Hi,

I have got unconditional offer from Aston university for masters in business analytics and conditional offer from Oxford Brookes university for masters in data analytics.

Awaiting response from Manchester Metropolitan University, Brunel University(will opt only if i get scholarship), Liverpool university, Birmingham city university for masters in business/data analytics program.

Can you please suggest which university has good in terms of part time jobs,placements, teaching quality etc??

Thanks in advance!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.17%
England (108)
33.64%
Belgium (27)
8.41%
Germany (38)
11.84%
Spain (6)
1.87%