dansbriana
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guysI am interested in studying Marketing in Leeds Beckett or Manchester Met but I don't know if those are goodWhat do u think?
Luke7456
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No they are not good universities.

OK END OF THREAD
Sataris
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Luke7456)

OK END OF THREAD
Firm but fair

Also lol @ "Leeds Bucket"
LMsav
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

OK END OF THREAD
You are the epitome of everything wrong with TSR.
Luke7456
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LMsav)
You are the epitome of everything wrong with TSR.
dude Im not saying if you go to a bad university your stupid/a failure or cant succeed or get anywhere etc.

Just some universities are considered good and some are not. and some have higher standards then others.

Just because I am not a communist who tries to claim that everyone is equal in every way does not make me a bad person.
LMsav
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
dude Im not saying if you go to a bad university your stupid/a failure or cant succeed or get anywhere etc.

Just some universities are considered good and some are not. and some have higher standards then others.

Just because I am not a communist who tries to claim that everyone is equal in every way does not make me a bad person.
Yes, exactly, some universities are 'considered' good or not. But all you based your misleading comment on was reputation of the institution like that is all that matters. In reality it matters in very few industries (Finance and Law it certainly does). But what is good or not is relative. To someone who got DDD at A level, University of Portsmouth and the likes may be great, obviously to an AAA student it's not. It's an important decision to make and one that should not be made entirely on perceived prestige. You are in a large minority of people on TSR who hand out poor information, usually based on prestige which does interfere with people's decision making - just let them make the choice given their own circumstances.

And just to add, I couldn't be any further away from communism on the political spectrum if I tried. Free market, non interventionist economics all the way my friend.
Luke7456
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LMsav)
Yes, exactly, some universities are 'considered' good or not. But all you based your misleading comment on was reputation of the institution like that is all that matters. In reality it matters in very few industries (Finance and Law it certainly does). But what is good or not is relative. To someone who got DDD at A level, University of Portsmouth and the likes may be great, obviously to an AAA student it's not. It's an important decision to make and one that should not be made entirely on perceived prestige. You are in a large minority of people on TSR who hand out poor information, usually based on prestige which does interfere with people's decision making - just let them make the choice given their own circumstances.

And just to add, I couldn't be any further away from communism on the political spectrum if I tried. Free market, non interventionist economics all the way my friend.
I grade universities based on the following things in order the
1. the level of education ill get and the competence ill be at when I graduate
2. the opportunities Ill have when I graduate in terms of academics or job prospects.
3. the general reputation of the university and self pride ill have when I mention it to people
4. the area and stuff around locally that i might like.

My dream has always been to go to Oxford or Cambridge because people have put me down my whole life and its a huge statement if I do it.

taking your example of Portsmouth and OPS example of Leeds Beckett. If I was a student at either Portsmouth or Leeds Beckett and got a strong first which I will define as 75+ average across all modules would an application for a masters at either Oxford or Cambridge be realistic?

I strongly doubt this but if you could provide evidence of the contrary for both these universities I would consider that a significant challenge to my position.

everything is good for someone when they literally thought I was retarded (I come from an autistic Background) the first time I scored above 100 on an IQ test and got grades just above average in school (this is before GCSE I think it was Key Stage 2 not sure though) everyone thought that was amazing because it was good for where I came from.

However the fact remains those results were not good they were distinctly average.

for some students getting 3 E grades at GCSE would be a massive accomplishment and absolutely amazing for them. and good for them I guess but I am not going to pretend that 3 Es at GCSE is still considered good.
LMsav
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I grade universities based on the following things in order the
1. the level of education ill get and the competence ill be at when I graduate
2. the opportunities Ill have when I graduate in terms of academics or job prospects.
3. the general reputation of the university and self pride ill have when I mention it to people
4. the area and stuff around locally that i might like.

My dream has always been to go to Oxford or Cambridge because people have put me down my whole life and its a huge statement if I do it.

taking your example of Portsmouth and OPS example of Leeds Beckett. If I was a student at either Portsmouth or Leeds Beckett and got a strong first which I will define as 75+ average across all modules would an application for a masters at either Oxford or Cambridge be realistic?

I strongly doubt this but if you could provide evidence of the contrary for both these universities I would consider that a significant challenge to my position.

everything is good for someone when they literally thought I was retarded (I come from an autistic Background) the first time I scored above 100 on an IQ test and got grades just above average in school (this is before GCSE I think it was Key Stage 2 not sure though) everyone thought that was amazing because it was good for where I came from.

However the fact remains those results were not good they were distinctly average.

for some students getting 3 E grades at GCSE would be a massive accomplishment and absolutely amazing for them. and good for them I guess but I am not going to pretend that 3 Es at GCSE is still considered good.
Thank you, you have literally cemented everything I have said in this forum about insecurity. It sounds to me, that despite being intelligent, you are insecure about your intelligence which is still likely far above average. You have had people tell you you can't attend certain institutions - and as a result the pride you will have when you get there will override the prior insecurities. This is the evident driver behind the countless 'STEM or nothing' threads or 'Russell group or nothing' posts, where insecure people are out to assert authority online about their course/university prestige. It sounds like you've pinned an awful let of self worth on the prestige of your eventual university.

But that is YOU. You must be able to understand that coming onto a forum, essentially telling someone that their options are rubbish, only puts them down in order to cement your own authority as someone who's likely to attend a more prestigious university. Like you have indicated, success is relative, so why not help the OP do some research on their choices, and talk over their options rather than say they're bad because you personally wouldn't go? They, obviously, would go as they're considering it.

And why are you bringing it back to Oxford or Cambridge, again? The OP is likely not interested in doing a masters there. You might be, but they aren't. If and when you attend the academic institution of your choice, regardless of prestige by all means be proud. You defied those who said you wouldn't be able to go, and you did. But just be more humble and considerate in relation to academic differentials. There will be someone as pleased for getting into Portsmouth on results day as there will someone getting into Oxford. And moreover there will be some graduates, believe it or not, from Portsmouth who go on to earn higher wages than those from Oxford.

And we know a family friend that did their undergrad at Lancashire, and postgrad at Oxford. I think most of the time, your degree result is infinitely more important than reputation. Oxford postgrad admissions would much prefer someone with a 1st from a low ranking university, than someone with a 2:2 from a Russell Group. Again, you seem to be living in your own, highly inaccurate bubble where prestige equates to success and unfortunately; it doesn't.
Luke7456
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LMsav)
Thank you, you have literally cemented everything I have said in this forum about insecurity. It sounds to me, that despite being intelligent, you are insecure about your intelligence which is still likely far above average. You have had people tell you you can't attend certain institutions - and as a result the pride you will have when you get there will override the prior insecurities. This is the evident driver behind the countless 'STEM or nothing' threads or 'Russell group or nothing' posts, where insecure people are out to assert authority online about their course/university prestige. It sounds like you've pinned an awful let of self worth on the prestige of your eventual university.

But that is YOU. You must be able to understand that coming onto a forum, essentially telling someone that their options are rubbish, only puts them down in order to cement your own authority as someone who's likely to attend a more prestigious university. Like you have indicated, success is relative, so why not help the OP do some research on their choices, and talk over their options rather than say they're bad because you personally wouldn't go? They, obviously, would go as they're considering it.

And why are you bringing it back to Oxford or Cambridge, again? The OP is likely not interested in doing a masters there. You might be, but they aren't. If and when you attend the academic institution of your choice, regardless of prestige by all means be proud. You defied those who said you wouldn't be able to go, and you did. But just be more humble and considerate in relation to academic differentials. There will be someone as pleased for getting into Portsmouth on results day as there will someone getting into Oxford. And moreover there will be some graduates, believe it or not, from Portsmouth who go on to earn higher wages than those from Oxford.

And we know a family friend that did their undergrad at Lancashire, and postgrad at Oxford. I think most of the time, your degree result is infinitely more important than reputation. Oxford postgrad admissions would much prefer someone with a 1st from a low ranking university, than someone with a 2:2 from a Russell Group. Again, you seem to be living in your own, highly inaccurate bubble where prestige equates to success and unfortunately; it doesn't.
it doesn't debunk what I have said Lancaster is a actually a relatively strong university and for most subjects is stronger then a fair few Russel groups. Lancaster is significantly stronger then either Leeds Becket or Portsmouth so this is not a debunk.
Everything is good to someone for something. in terms of been intelligent my IQ was scored to be in the top 3% on an official Mensa IQ test I missed Mensa by one mark literally.

this is not what I would call far above average. top 3% means that like 1/33 which is a bit better then mediocre i guess. statistically speaking if i got on a bus that was half full and perfectly representative of society at large I would not be the smartest person on that bus that destroys me to admit but it is the case. based on the evidence so far.

I guess if we take all life forms on the planet I am significantly above average because I am beating the hell out turtles and hamsters and stuff.

sure anything can be good for someone but when I define good or bad I am considering in comparison to things from that class. basically universities below the top 50% are bad universities and universities above the 50% mark are good. generally speaking just over half of young people go to university so I really should be at a university in the top 5-10% going above 5% is probably pushing myself I accept oxbridge is a major push.
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ables/rankings
Leeds Becket are 121st out of 131 universities.

this is not good this is very bad.

portsmouth university is 51st which I guess is above average just scraping into the top 40% or so. I guess Portsmouth could be classified as slightly above average so I would not call Portsmouth a bad university I just wouldn't call it good. I guess arguably kind of good but meh.

anyway, I didnt list Portsmouth as a weak university you did.

as for Lancaster they 8th putting them in the top 10 actually Lancaster statistically speaking for overall quality are just under top 6% which is not to be scoffed at all.

I cant believe you gave Lancaster as an example of a bad university getting into oxbridge. I think this league table is a bit too generous on Lancaster but they probably do deserve top 15 at least. lancaster is a very good university.

I am not surprised that Oxbridge would consider someone who got a 1st from Lancaster I would fully expect them to.

I would be surprised if they were taking people from Portsmouth
and I would be absolutely gobsmacked if they took people from leeds beckett.
Stickman
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Don't mess with Luke - he's the only one talking sense in this thread.
LMsav
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it doesn't debunk what I have said Lancaster is a actually a relatively strong university and for most subjects is stronger then a fair few Russel groups. Lancaster is significantly stronger then either Leeds Becket or Portsmouth so this is not a debunk.
Everything is good to someone for something. in terms of been intelligent my IQ was scored to be in the top 3% on an official Mensa IQ test I missed Mensa by one mark literally.

this is not what I would call far above average. top 3% means that like 1/33 which is a bit better then mediocre i guess. statistically speaking if i got on a bus that was half full and perfectly representative of society at large I would not be the smartest person on that bus that destroys me to admit but it is the case. based on the evidence so far.

I guess if we take all life forms on the planet I am significantly above average because I am beating the hell out turtles and hamsters and stuff.

sure anything can be good for someone but when I define good or bad I am considering in comparison to things from that class. basically universities below the top 50% are bad universities and universities above the 50% mark are good. generally speaking just over half of young people go to university so I really should be at a university in the top 5-10% going above 5% is probably pushing myself I accept oxbridge is a major push.
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ables/rankings
Leeds Becket are 121st out of 131 universities.

this is not good this is very bad.

portsmouth university is 51st which I guess is above average just scraping into the top 40% or so. I guess Portsmouth could be classified as slightly above average so I would not call Portsmouth a bad university I just wouldn't call it good. I guess arguably kind of good but meh.

anyway, I didnt list Portsmouth as a weak university you did.

as for Lancaster they 8th putting them in the top 10 actually Lancaster statistically speaking for overall quality are just under top 6% which is not to be scoffed at all.

I cant believe you gave Lancaster as an example of a bad university getting into oxbridge. I think this league table is a bit too generous on Lancaster but they probably do deserve top 15 at least. lancaster is a very good university.

I am not surprised that Oxbridge would consider someone who got a 1st from Lancaster I would fully expect them to.

I would be surprised if they were taking people from Portsmouth
and I would be absolutely gobsmacked if they took people from leeds beckett.
I said Lancashire, not Lancaster. maybe you should get that IQ test re-done? You've just spouted even more rubbish. You are incredibly insecure. You are the sort of person that ejaculates over league tables and has nothing else to brag about in life other than a meaningless IQ test and where you went to university, but I am guessing this stems from autism so I actually have more sympathy for you than anything. The most successful people in life, unfortunately for you, are those with the best interpersonal skills not the most academic. All firms treat staff like assets, people that they engage with daily and who represent their company - therefore a balance between being smart and having exceptional social skills is key. Its sad that you think your IQ and university name will determine your success, it won't, but I'll let you find that out for yourself.

LEAGUE TABLES MEAN NOTHING, only gullible and insecure people such as your self look into them in an almost biblical sense.
LMsav
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Stickman)
Don't mess with Luke - he's the only one talking sense in this thread.
Then you're equally as moronic
Luke7456
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LMsav)
I said Lancashire, not Lancaster. maybe you should get that IQ test re-done? You've just spouted even more rubbish. You are incredibly insecure. You are the sort of person that ejaculates over league tables and has nothing else to brag about in life other than a meaningless IQ test and where you went to university, but I am guessing this stems from autism so I actually have more sympathy for you than anything. The most successful people in life, unfortunately for you, are those with the best interpersonal skills not the most academic. All firms treat staff like assets, people that they engage with daily and who represent their company - therefore a balance between being smart and having exceptional social skills is key. Its sad that you think your IQ and university name will determine your success, it won't, but I'll let you find that out for yourself.

LEAGUE TABLES MEAN NOTHING, only gullible and insecure people such as your self look into them in an almost biblical sense.
I dont ejaculate over league tables their is nothing sexy about league tables I mean interesting sure but not in terms of sexual attraction. I normally ejaculate over videos of girls spitting on guys and wiping their shoes on their beards etc.

anyway slight over sight maybe but I didn't find any university called Lanceshire. when I googled Lancashire university I found central Lancashire and Lancaster. I assumed since both are in Lancashire that you meant Lancaster university but I take it you mean central Lancashire? I am guessing he did this a long time ago. when a lot less people went to university? even if not a one of exception is not a story.

are you seriously trying to claim a strong first (above 75 average) from either Leeds Beckett or Portsmouth would give me a good chance of getting into Oxbridge?
LMsav
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I dont ejaculate over league tables their is nothing sexy about league tables I mean interesting sure but not in terms of sexual attraction. I normally ejaculate over videos of girls spitting on guys and wiping their shoes on their beards etc.

anyway slight over sight maybe but I didn't find any university called Lanceshire. when I googled Lancashire university I found central Lancashire and Lancaster. I assumed since both are in Lancashire that you meant Lancaster university but I take it you mean central Lancashire? I am guessing he did this a long time ago. when a lot less people went to university? even if not a one of exception is not a story.

are you seriously trying to claim a strong first (above 75 average) from either Leeds Beckett or Portsmouth would give me a good chance of getting into Oxbridge?
I am claiming that a first from Leeds Beckett is better than a 2:2 from Russell Group, yes. I meant Central Lancashire, yes. You are obsessed with prestige, you are not living in the real world because you are highly autistic. You have probably never touched a girl in your life, and probably masturbate into the Oxford University prospectus.

A u t i s m s u c k s
Luke7456
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LMsav)
I am claiming that a first from Leeds Beckett is better than a 2:2 from Russell Group, yes. I meant Central Lancashire, yes. You are obsessed with prestige, you are not living in the real world because you are highly autistic. You have probably never touched a girl in your life, and probably masturbate into the Oxford University prospectus.

A u t i s m s u c k s
I think you probably go to Leeds Beckett University and are just getting salty. I have actually been intimate with females but not a lot and its an area I am deeply insecure about I dont know what makes you think trying to get personal and nasty helps your argument at all it doesn't. It shows a complete lack of confidence in your own position and anger.

Also there are other readers who read these forums who are autistic why would you put such nasty on this forum. feel free to try and disagree with me, by making actual points. I am not happy at the university I am at but it is technically above both Portsmouth and your university Leeds Beckett I guess I wanted someone to debunk me and show lots of cases of people getting into Oxbridge from both Leeds Beckett and Portsmouth because then I would know I could still do it where I am at.

I really don't know why you feel it necessary to try and haul abuse at someone who you claim to believe has a mental disability what kind of person are you?
I am actually marginally autistic not highly autistic but that is besides the point you thought I was.
Also note under UK hate speech laws such comments online could land you up to 15 years in Jail not that I agree with such laws but just saying I really wouldn't be putting hard evidence of such opinions online if I were you.
LMsav
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you probably go to Leeds Beckett University and are just getting salty. I have actually been intimate with females but not a lot and its an area I am deeply insecure about I dont know what makes you think trying to get personal and nasty helps your argument at all it doesn't. It shows a complete lack of confidence in your own position and anger.

Also there are other readers who read these forums who are autistic why would you put such nasty on this forum. feel free to try and disagree with me, by making actual points. I am not happy at the university I am at but it is technically above both Portsmouth and your university Leeds Beckett I guess I wanted someone to debunk me and show lots of cases of people getting into Oxbridge from both Leeds Beckett and Portsmouth because then I would know I could still do it where I am at.

I really don't know why you feel it necessary to try and haul abuse at someone who you claim to believe has a mental disability what kind of person are you?
I am actually marginally autistic not highly autistic but that is besides the point you thought I was.
Also note under UK hate speech laws such comments online could land you up to 15 years in Jail not that I agree with such laws but just saying I really wouldn't be putting hard evidence of such opinions online if I were you.
Not at Leeds Beckett, haven’t broken any laws, have plenty of friends with autism they agree it sucks, not sure why you’re putting other people’s uni down when you aren’t happy with your own - see you later.
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Buckett... he he he
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (121)
15.69%
Uncertainty around my education (125)
16.21%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
9.34%
Isolating with family (51)
6.61%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (30)
3.89%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (66)
8.56%
Loneliness (81)
10.51%
Financial worries (32)
4.15%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (70)
9.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (50)
6.49%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (73)
9.47%

Watched Threads